German Doctor Treats MS With Low PUFA Diet (Stops Disease In 84% Of Patients)

Korven

Stumbled across this video and thought I'd post it here for anyone that might be interested:

Summary:
  • Doesn't give much details about the diet, only that it's low in linoleic acid. Starches (rice, potatoes etc), fruits and vegetables and low fat dairy allowed. Avoid any food high in omega-6 i.e seed oils, high fat dairy, fatty meat, nuts/seeds.
  • Recommends vitamin E, selenium, B-vitamins, vitamin D when patient is deficient, omega-3 (only non peaty thing)
  • Over a 5 year period the disease progression is halted in 84% of patients, even in very severe cases. Has treated over 5000 patients.
  • Mentions that the protocol works even faster/more efficacious for rheumatoid arthritis (works in 8-12 weeks)
Takeaway for me is that PUFA is bad - I'm gonna try and get it under 4 grams per day.

LeeLemonoil

Possible also rather low in phosphorus that diet and also realatively low in methionine.

A.R

Stumbled across this video and thought I'd post it here for anyone that might be interested:

Summary:
  • Doesn't give much details about the diet, only that it's low in linoleic acid. Starches (rice, potatoes etc), fruits and vegetables and low fat dairy allowed. Avoid any food high in omega-6 i.e seed oils, high fat dairy, fatty meat, nuts/seeds.
  • Recommends vitamin E, selenium, B-vitamins, vitamin D when patient is deficient, omega-3 (only non peaty thing)
  • Over a 5 year period the disease progression is halted in 84% of patients, even in very severe cases. Has treated over 5000 patients.
  • Mentions that the protocol works even faster/more efficacious for rheumatoid arthritis (works in 8-12 weeks)
Takeaway for me is that PUFA is bad - I'm gonna try and get it under 4 grams per day.

Let us know how it goes and what your diet plan will look like

yerrag

Just go cold turkey on PUFA for 4 years and your blood sugar regulation will improve. Just this alone sets the stage for better sugar metabolism and thyroid improvement.

I was looking at my past blood tests. Prior to my PUFA restriction, my morning fasting blood sugar was 100. After the 4 years (at least) of PUFA cold turkey, my fasting blood sugar turned into 84.

A lot of you think 100 is okay because your doctor says so, or Google says so. And you use HbA1c as the basis for gauging your blood sugar health. And you pass and you think you're fine. But HbA1c is a conspiracy (yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist) by the medical establishment to put you on a false idea of health, so on this false basis getting to a peak state of health becomes very complicated for you.

Sure, you pass when it comes to HbA1c. But do you pass when it comes to the now-disappeared 5hr Oral Glucose Tolerance Test? For most of you, not very likely. I've posted my before and after 5hr OGTT already in another thread. It is a big difference from before (when I was using PUFAs) and after (after years of avoiding PUFAs). Yet, somehow people in this forum remain unconvinced and think nothing can be this simple and so they just go on posting about how complicated being in a state of health is.

If your blood sugar regulation is terrible, your health will never be optimal. If you get this right, it's also easy to get your acid-base balance right. With acid-base balance right, it's also easy to get your calcium balance right, as your body can easily make vitamin D because you don't have high insulin inhibiting your body's endogenous production of Vitamin D. And when you got your calcium balance right, you won't worry about calcification.

It's a snowball effect. But instead, a lot of people here like to delude themselves into studying the trees and in so doing lose sight of the the forest and the balance needed for the ecosystem. Don't think too local but think system. When you think in a systemic way, you focus on the big things that affect the big picture, which impacts the little things.

Instead of providing the body with the simple things it needs through a variety of whole foods, and getting sun and good air, and letting the body take care of the rest, people here like to interfere with the body while giving the body little of what it needs. People like to talk about cortisol and the adrenals and the hypothalamic axis, and how reducing cortisol will help, and then they take an expensive test for cortisol. If cortisol is high, it comes down still to poor sugar metabolism. So why not cut through the chase, and from the start fix your blood sugar metabolism?

And PUFA affects very much your blood sugar regulation. Ray Peat has talked about the evil of PUFA, and people by and large in this forum believe that. But people here don't really carry this out in their lives. They continue to eat PUFA because they see PUFA everywhere and cannot counter it. It's in chips, in sauces, and it's used in all restaurants. They think that taking vitamin E daily will be the antidote for it. But they're not shooting for the stars - for optimality. Theyr're really after mediocrity and conforming to the blob. But why not take the plunge and go cold turkey on PUFA?

It's a hard thing to do, especially if you can't cook yourself and rely on take-outs and you're too busy. Well, that makes you a slave of the system and you'll never get out of it. If there's a will, there's a way. So stop making excuses. Do this and four years will go by like they always do, and you'll be amazed how simple it is to improve your health.

It's like earning your first million by hard work. The next will come a lot easier (although I'm still working on this one lol).

Sure, it takes 4 years and a lot of people are impatient. But 4 years really just go by quickly. If this is all the effort it takes, I'd gladly do it again rather than going thru a Rube Goldberg scheme of improving my health. Sure, you can still dabble with nootropics, but don't let it become your prime focus. You're not building on a good foundation but on loose sand.

Last edited:

Vinny

Summary:

Unbeatable proof, that pufa should be avoided. And also, that Dr Roy Swank was definitely onto something.

R J

If it cures MS, it should cure any other degenerative disease

R J

Just go cold turkey on PUFA for 4 years and your blood sugar regulation will improve. Just this alone sets the stage for better sugar metabolism and thyroid improvement.

I was looking at my past blood tests. Prior to my PUFA restriction, my morning fasting blood sugar was 100. After the 4 years (at least) of PUFA cold turkey, my fasting blood sugar turned into 84.

A lot of you think 100 is okay because your doctor says so, or Google says so. And you use HbA1c as the basis for gauging your blood sugar health. And you pass and you think you're fine. But HbA1c is a conspiracy (yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist) by the medical establishment to put you on a false idea of health, so on this false basis getting to a peak state of health becomes very complicated for you.

Sure, you pass when it comes to HbA1c. But do you pass when it comes to the now-disappeared 5hr Oral Glucose Tolerance Test? For most of you, not very likely. I've posted my before and after 5hr OGTT already in another thread. It is a big difference from before (when I was using PUFAs) and after (after years of avoiding PUFAs). Yet, somehow people in this forum remain unconvinced and think nothing can be this simple and so they just go on posting about how complicated being in a state of health is.

If your blood sugar regulation is terrible, your health will never be optimal. If you get this right, it's also easy to get your acid-base balance right. With acid-base balance right, it's also easy to get your calcium balance right, as your body can easily make vitamin D because you don't have high insulin inhibiting your body's endogenous production of Vitamin D. And when you got your calcium balance right, you won't worry about calcification.

It's a snowball effect. But instead, a lot of people here like to delude themselves into studying the trees and in so doing lose sight of the the forest and the balance needed for the ecosystem. Don't think too local but think system. When you think in a systemic way, you focus on the big things that affect the big picture, which impacts the little things.

Instead of providing the body with the simple things it needs through a variety of whole foods, and getting sun and good air, and letting the body take care of the rest, people here like to interfere with the body while giving the body little of what it needs. People like to talk about cortisol and the adrenals and the hypothalamic axis, and how reducing cortisol will help, and then they take an expensive test for cortisol. If cortisol is high, it comes down still to poor sugar metabolism. So why not cut through the chase, and from the start fix your blood sugar metabolism?

And PUFA affects very much your blood sugar regulation. Ray Peat has talked about the evil of PUFA, and people by and large in this forum believe that. But people here don't really carry this out in their lives. They continue to eat PUFA because they see PUFA everywhere and cannot counter it. It's in chips, in sauces, and it's used in all restaurants. They think that taking vitamin E daily will be the antidote for it. But they're not shooting for the stars - for optimality. Theyr're really after mediocrity and conforming to the blob. But why not take the plunge and go cold turkey on PUFA?

It's a hard thing to do, especially if you can't cook yourself and rely on take-outs and you're too busy. Well, that makes you a slave of the system and you'll never get out of it. If there's a will, there's a way. So stop making excuses. Do this and four years will go by like they always do, and you'll be amazed how simple it is to improve your health.

It's like earning your first million by hard work. The next will come a lot easier (although I'm still working on this one lol).

Sure, it takes 4 years and a lot of people are impatient. But 4 years really just go by quickly. If this is all the effort it takes, I'd gladly do it again rather than going thru a Rube Goldberg scheme of improving my health. Sure, you can still dabble with nootropics, but don't let it become your prime focus. You're not building on a good foundation but on loose sand.

You had <4g PUFA daily?

yerrag

You had <4g PUFA daily?
I continue to eat an egg a day while I was on cold turkey fast, ate chicken, beef, and pork, was avoiding the fat portions but fat mixed into the lean meat I couldn't avoid eating. My butter intake was with sweet potatoes and sugar, for some breakfasts. Avoided chip as they all use PUFA oils. Same thing with a lot of sauces. Avoided restaurants except for special occasions. Home-cooked meals cooked with refined coconut oil. Deep-fried food at times with hydrogenated coconut oil. Fresh coconut milk would be used for curry dishes, and that would have minimal PUFAs.

I also eat seafood but it's not as often.

And this is where the modern food industry f**cks you over. Unless you can prepare every meal yourself avoiding PUFA's is going to be like climbing a mountain. When you have lobbyists for sugar and fat industries, as in most things money 'talks', to the detriment of most populations.
In the 1950's morbidities were a lot less than now, because family life was different socially, but hey life gets better for each subsequent generation(~)

yerrag

It's tough, I know. It would be nice if one can live in a dorm and have a cafeteria that is Peaty. You could be in a 4 year high school, or a 4 year college, or be working. You can temporarily live a life free from having to deal with taking care of your nutrition. You can only stay there for 4 years. This is your lifestyle transition period where you go from a typically modern unhealthful food lifestyle to a fully informed Peaty food lifestyle. You enter a wreck and you leave as a person in optimal metabolic health, ready to continue a healthy Peaty lifestyle on your own.

You'll attend a Peaty 101 course prior to moving in.

And you'll be given some simple tests (5-hr oral glucose tolerance test, urine pH tests to determine acid-base balance condition, temperature, heart rate, spO2, blood pressure Achilles tendon reflex test for thyroid, CBC, iron panel. albumin, and inflammation markers such as LDH, hsCRP, ESR, AST/SGOT, ALT/SGPT; to determine your metabolic health.

Based on these tests, you will be coached on what kind of carbs are suitable for your current state of sugar blood regulation. And based on this, you have access to a cafeteria that gives you access to Peaty foods. You will however be responsible for deciding what you eat; you won't be spoonfed. You are in an environment to learn about food, and you are your own experiment. If you so choose to eat PUFAs, for example, no one's going to stop you. But remember: You have 4 years to fix yourself and if you don't get that done, you're going to be kicked out just the same as you've been given enough time to get yourself and your health in shape.

But know this: The place does not serve food filled with PUFAs. If you want to eat PUFAs, you're free to do so by going elsewhere to get your fix. You just buy your own PUFA-laden foods. If you so choose to proselytize your neighbors with ideas that PUFA is heart-healthy, you're free to do so. No one is stopping your neighbors from being duped by you nor by media nor by Google nor by the school they are attending - especially medical school. But we have dorm counselors available for you to inquire about the Peaty way to health, and you will be provided resources to learn about the Peaty lifestyle on your own. Again, it is your choice whether you want to learn to be Peaty healthy or not.

It is hoped that the dorm and cafeteria will provide you with no excuses you to say it's hard to go cold turkey on PUFAs because the odds are stacked against you. And if you use the dorm and cafeteria to rid your body of PUFA in your 4 years of stay, it is hoped that you will see a transformation from being a sickly person into a developing energetic and healthy individual with unlimited future potential. You will find your brains developing, and not only that, you'll have nicer skin and nicer and fuller hair. You won't grow taller an inch though, nor see your missing teeth grow back.

Please use your powers responsibly though. Please help make this help a better world. Not in an Antifa way. And not in the BLM way. Be genuine and seek truth and love always.

OP
Korven

Korven

Found some more info on his website about the protocol: Ernährung bei MS (it's in german, you can google translate it).

Diet consists of fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrate (no whole grains due to PUFA content), fish, occasional lean meats, lean dairy. No foods high in linoleic acid allowed e.g nuts, oils, fatty animal products.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the results of just cutting out linoleic acid. Many patients are even seeing remyelination. Pasta, gluten, dairy, nightshades etc still allowed, just needs to be low in PUFA.

However he does recommend omega-3 supplements which Ray Peat obviously isn't a fan of. I do wonder whether there's a possible net benefit to very low dietary omega-6 (1-2 grams) together with some omega-3 to further displace/compete with arachidonic acid in cell membranes, shift from PGE2 to PGE3 and the other 3 series prostaglandins. Especially for inflammatory and autoimmune conditions...

He's been doing this since the 90's and seems pretty clued in on dangers of excess PUFA/AA:

"The causes of inflammation are very diverse and the forms of inflammation differ. In one point, however, all inflammations are the same, they need a fuel: the highly unsaturated arachidonic acid."

Let us know how it goes and what your diet plan will look like

I don't have MS but struggle with some sort of chronic inflammatory condition/CFS/PEM and feeling like crap many days.

Currently eating mostly beef, rice, beans, some fruits and vegetables = PUFA count at 3 grams per day! Will be more consistent with taking B-vitamins, vitamin E, selenium.

Jam

Avoid any food high in omega-6 i.e seed oils, high fat dairy, fatty meat, nuts/seeds.

Fatty beef products and high fat dairy have irrelevant amounts of linoleic acid, even when consumed in copious amounts. Just sayin'. I typically consume 100-120g of fat from butter, raw goat milk (close to a liter), high-fat beef, etc. and my linoleic acid consumption easily remains below 4g.

Jam

Screenshot 2020-10-13 112956.jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-13 113044.jpg

Jam

Oh my gosh, 666g of goat milk.... Goat often associated with the devil...! :angeldevil

(Sorry for the useless post everyone)

It's a shame Cronometer does not track Sulfur...
(sorry)

baccheion

Found some more info on his website about the protocol: Ernährung bei MS (it's in german, you can google translate it).

Diet consists of fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrate (no whole grains due to PUFA content), fish, occasional lean meats, lean dairy. No foods high in linoleic acid allowed e.g nuts, oils, fatty animal products.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the results of just cutting out linoleic acid. Many patients are even seeing remyelination. Pasta, gluten, dairy, nightshades etc still allowed, just needs to be low in PUFA.

However he does recommend omega-3 supplements which Ray Peat obviously isn't a fan of. I do wonder whether there's a possible net benefit to very low dietary omega-6 (1-2 grams) together with some omega-3 to further displace/compete with arachidonic acid in cell membranes, shift from PGE2 to PGE3 and the other 3 series prostaglandins. Especially for inflammatory and autoimmune conditions...

He's been doing this since the 90's and seems pretty clued in on dangers of excess PUFA/AA:

"The causes of inflammation are very diverse and the forms of inflammation differ. In one point, however, all inflammations are the same, they need a fuel: the highly unsaturated arachidonic acid."

I don't have MS but struggle with some sort of chronic inflammatory condition/CFS/PEM and feeling like crap many days.

Currently eating mostly beef, rice, beans, some fruits and vegetables = PUFA count at 3 grams per day! Will be more consistent with taking B-vitamins, vitamin E, selenium.
What's your PRAL score? Do you get more calcium than phosphorus? How much magnesium to calcium?

R J

I continue to eat an egg a day while I was on cold turkey fast, ate chicken, beef, and pork, was avoiding the fat portions but fat mixed into the lean meat I couldn't avoid eating. My butter intake was with sweet potatoes and sugar, for some breakfasts. Avoided chip as they all use PUFA oils. Same thing with a lot of sauces. Avoided restaurants except for special occasions. Home-cooked meals cooked with refined coconut oil. Deep-fried food at times with hydrogenated coconut oil. Fresh coconut milk would be used for curry dishes, and that would have minimal PUFAs.

I also eat seafood but it's not as often.

That’s good to hear because that’s pretty much same thing I’m doing. Glad to hear it’s worth the slight effort to choose non PUFA laden foods.

yerrag

That’s good to hear because that’s pretty much same thing I’m doing. Glad to hear it’s worth the slight effort to choose non PUFA laden foods.
It was worth every second of it.

And it wasn't like you weren't having your cake and eating it too.

At some point I ditched brown rice, which I'd been eating for the last 20 years as it helped manage my hypoglycemic condition, and switched back to white rice.

Then tested my tolerance for white sugar. On an empty stomach, took a tsp of it, and felt nothing. I wasn't getting blood sugar low signs anymore like feeling hungry nor sleepy nor having a runny nose nor having a hiccup an hour after. It meant my blood sugar regulation had improved. It also meant my blood sugar metabolism improved as well. More energy during the day and better sleep as well.

Capt Nirvana

Summary:

Ironically, the company that has "earned" the most money protecting society against omega 3 fatty acids — on the sly, of course — is Monsanto. First it was Ethoxyquin (from the 1950s), and nowadays it's Vistive® Gold soybeans.