GERD (acid Reflux) Is Caused By Inflammation, Not Stomach Acid

Zpol

I don't think so. I wouldn't use it on the areas I mentioned before eating.

Do you have any ideas why the LLLT might have caused this to happen? Which light were you using?

The GERD I had seemed to be caused by some kind of fibrosis that may have been caused by inflammation or was causing the inflammation. I used some Defibron that helped after some initial pain unlike GERD pain. But I discontinued using it because of the changes in my gut. Last spring I started using bromelain and initially felt the same pains in my esophagus as when using Defibron but after 3 days or so the pain went away and so did the GERD. I had had GERD symptoms since a few years after menopause.

I have something called 'Schatzki ring' or Schatzki–Gary ring, it is "a narrowing of the lower esophagus that can cause difficulty swallowing (dysphagia). The narrowing is caused by a ring of mucosal tissue (which lines the esophagus) or muscular tissue".
Are you saying the Defibron helped or made worse the pain feeling in your esophagus (I'm not quite sure I understand)?

Wagner83

Do you have any ideas why the LLLT might have caused this to happen? Which light were you using?

I have something called 'Schatzki ring' or Schatzki–Gary ring, it is "a narrowing of the lower esophagus that can cause difficulty swallowing (dysphagia). The narrowing is caused by a ring of mucosal tissue (which lines the esophagus) or muscular tissue".
Are you saying the Defibron helped or made worse the pain feeling in your esophagus (I'm not quite sure I understand)?
I thought that among other things the heat or the light might have relaxed some of the muscles but this is just a guess. Perhaps there was a slowdown of nerve activity or something else I can't think of..

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Zpol if you read the Defibron thread there are several people who describe pain in an area of an old wound or pulled muscle upon initially taking it. I experienced some pain in the esophagus/stomach junction. At the time I thought it was because the Defibron is a fatty acid combo and was hard to digest. Then I became constipated so I quit taking it. Last spring when I started taking the bromelain I experienced the same heartburn area pain and knee pain that went away after a few days. I think it is from the fibrinolytic effects of the bromelain. I also did not have any constipation from the bromelain.

Since there is no way for me to know exactly what happened or is happening and this is all anecdotal I can only say that whatever happened I no longer get heartburn.

Zpol

I thought that among other things the heat or the light might have relaxed some of the muscles but this is just a guess. Perhaps there was a slowdown of nerve activity or something else I can't think of..

Good to know your experience. I think I will wait about an hour after before eating.

@Zpol if you read the Defibron thread there are several people who describe pain in an area of an old wound or pulled muscle upon initially taking it. I experienced some pain in the esophagus/stomach junction. At the time I thought it was because the Defibron is a fatty acid combo and was hard to digest. Then I became constipated so I quit taking it. Last spring when I started taking the bromelain I experienced the same heartburn area pain and knee pain that went away after a few days. I think it is from the fibrinolytic effects of the bromelain. I also did not have any constipation from the bromelain.

Since there is no way for me to know exactly what happened or is happening and this is all anecdotal I can only say that whatever happened I no longer get heartburn.

I see, thank you for clarifying.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So theoretically, LLLT directed at the esophagus and stomach should inhibit the cytokine damage and inflammation. I got my LGS1 I'm going to do just this 3-5 min on esophagus every morning. I thought about taking MB before hand but I have reason to believe my serotonin is sky high also so I'll skip for now. I'm currently having a gastritis flare up so hopefully this can heal the damage. I'm surprised I cannot find much on LLLt or red light for gastritis and GERD, not even much anecdotal stuff out there.

It may. Some people found that taking one of the local anesthetics like lidocaine orally also resolved their GERD issues. Progesterone seems to help some people too.

Last edited:
M

marikay

I also developed GERD while taking Progest E. When I stopped using it the GERD went away. I always thought it was relaxation of esophageal muscles as well.

Calcium carbonate supplement got rid of the GERD. Also helped to eliminate grains. I still love my ProgestE but I take it only for two weeks and then take a break, making sure I get enough calcium while I take it.

Cheers.

Dave Clark

Not sure if the two were related, but I got some gerd flare-ups when I started a very low dose progesterone (two drops/day). Read on-line that progesterone could cause gerd in some people, however, I suspected orange juice, and when I removed that from my diet my gerd stopped. Once in a while I get a tiny bit of reflux, and I am still not sure if the progesterone is the problem. Maybe I will stop progesterone for a week or two and see how my gut reacts, but right now the low dose isn't a big enough problem to cause me to quit.

Zpol

Some people found that taking one of the local anesthetics like lidocaine orally also resolved their GERD issues.
Thanks, I think this may be helpful. I feel like my stomach just keeps clenching up for no reason, also takes my breath away. It started with a bout of gastritis. I've always had heartburn but it was manageable with diet and occasional tums.
I will see if my doc can prescribe the "GI cocktail" containing viscous lidocaine.

xetawaves

Thanks, I think this may be helpful. I feel like my stomach just keeps clenching up for no reason, also takes my breath away. It started with a bout of gastritis. I've always had heartburn but it was manageable with diet and occasional tums.
I will see if my doc can prescribe the "GI cocktail" containing viscous lidocaine.

Does anyone know what these stomach spasms are? I get these too. They're like a single, strong hiccup or something accompanied with a sensation to burp. I mainly get them after eating.

marko9437

Importantly, the changes that re-occurred were not consistent with chemical burns. Rather, the findings supported the new idea that refluxed stomach acid stimulates the esophagus to make small proteins called cytokines, which then sets up the process of inflammation.

But that's not what the text says. The text says that refluxed stomach acid is still the cause. The text merely says that the damage isn't from the refluxed stomach acid causing chemical burns but from the refluxed stomach acid promoting inflammation.