Fractality

great question. I would think they can get away with that because high cholesterol is often caused by hypothyroidism. So even though they have the mechanisms all screwed up they still are making a good insurance decision by charging more for high cholesterol people. Of course we really dont know what they are doing to figure out their rates and may just be saying one thing publicly while doing something else in secret.

Yeah that's the first one that sprung to mind as well. But they prefer people who control their cholesterol with drugs like statins which one would think makes the insured worse off than untreated hypothyroidism with high cholesterol to compensate.

D

danishispsychic

really, there is no privacy at all. cell phones, computers all of it. i don't care who has all my info really. here :) take it. i am pretty boring.

Yeah that's the first one that sprung to mind as well. But they prefer people who control their cholesterol with drugs like statins which one would think makes the insured worse off than untreated hypothyroidism with high cholesterol to compensate.

It's possible they get kickbacks from pharma companies.

Doesn't really matter if the payee is in good health, just that they keep paying premiums.

x-ray peat

It's possible they get kickbacks from pharma companies.

Doesn't really matter if the payee is in good health, just that they keep paying premiums.
all good points.
I think that they probably run the entire medical industrial complex as a cartel. In this case each individual company or sector gives up a little in profit maximizing behaviors knowing that they will make it up as the overall industry profits grow. Im sure they all have interlocking boards that help facilitate this.

Last edited:
all good points.
I think that they probably run the entire medical industrial industry as a cartel. In this case each individual company or sector gives up a little in profit maximizing behaviors knowing that they will make it up as the overall industry profits grow. Im sure they all have interlocking boards that help facilitate this.

Likely quite accurate.

Back
Top Bottom