General Orange's - Decalcification Method

OP
General Orange
It did work though, but so does detumescence
Detumescence may be an effective but dangerous way of massaging basically to break highly cross-linked collagen abundant fibers, same stuff as in scars, that can be broken by a short massage of 20 - 30 seconds in a circular motion.
Dangerous, because aggressive handling and rubbing of the scalp can release histamine from mast cells and give inflammation.

Watson350

Detumescence may be an effective but dangerous way of massaging basically to break highly cross-linked collagen abundant fibers, same stuff as in scars, that can be broken by a short massage of 20 - 30 seconds in a circular motion.
Dangerous, because aggressive handling and rubbing of the scalp can release histamine from mast cells and give inflammation.
Effective but dangerous seems contradictory as the efficacy of the action makes the possible side effect irrelevant.

Watson350

Effective but dangerous seems contradictory as the efficacy of the action makes the possible side effect irrelevant.
It also would suggest derma pen, or the scalp burn anecdote dr. peat refers to as being anathema to that thesis of inflammation. Perhaps a certain inflammation is needed for repair

OP
General Orange
Borage Oil is a 5 Alpha Reducatase inhibitor which is why I think I stopped using it. I switched to Boswellia and stopped for the same reason. That and as a GLA contains omega six
5AR inhibitors can decrease DHT (which in turn has bad metabolites) are useful in hairloss because they also prevent too much conversion of T into Estrogens, that is very bad for hair.
Omega 6 is still better than omega 3 :D

It also would suggest derma pen, or the scalp burn anecdote dr. peat refers to as being anathema to that thesis of inflammation. Perhaps a certain inflammation is needed for repair
That is what Centella asiatica is for, anti-inflammatory and anti mast cell, and pro repair.
Yes certain inflammation is needed for repair.

[edits]

Last edited:
OP
General Orange
Inflammatory chemicals released from mast cells and cytokines can increase Nitric Oxide and those can increase excessive collagen formation, and Nerve growth factor (NGF) acting like hair growth terminators.

Watson350

5AR inhibitors can decrease DHT (which in turn has bad metabolites) are useful in hairloss because they also prevent too much conversion of T into Estrogens, that is very bad for hair.
Omega 6 is still better than omega 3 :D

That is what Centella asiatica is for, anti-inflammatory and anti mast cell, and pro repair.
Yes certain inflammation is needed for repair.

[edits]
Not concerned with anti-androgenic properties?

Watson350

Inflammatory chemicals released from mast cells and cytokines can increase Nitric Oxide and those can increase excessive collagen formation, and Nerve growth factor (NGF) acting like hair growth terminators.
Right but if you're growing new hair and it's working that evidently is not happening

OP
General Orange
Not concerned with anti-androgenic properties?
Not very much, the system can synthesize DHT via other "backdoor" pathway's to compensate for the 5AR inhibition automatically. Still that situation is not ideal for the long term coz of other bad metabolites that can trigger Estrogen Receptors involved in prostate health. So there is no free lunch there.

rawmeat

I think it would be good to mix the olive oil with something like niacinamide.

Does coconut oil penetrate within the skin like olive oil does? I've heard that it does not.

OP
General Orange
I think it would be good to mix the olive oil with something like niacinamide.

Does coconut oil penetrate within the skin like olive oil does? I've heard that it does not.

Linoleic acid, for example, has a direct role in maintaining
the integrity of the water permeability barrier of the skin [46,47]. The major metabolite of linoleic
acid in the skin is 13-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid (13-HODE), which possesses anti-proliferative
properties [3]. In contrast, oleic acid is detrimental to skin barrier function [48]. Oleic acid causes barrier
disruption and eventually induces dermatitis under continuous topical application [48]. In addition
to their role in skin barrier restoration/disruption, enriched FFA plant oils have also been studied as
penetration enhancers (e.g., transepidermal drug delivery). Research has suggested that oils composed
mostly of monounsaturated oleic acid increased skin permeability more than oils containing an almost
even mixture of both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Viljoen et al. has suggested
that the lipid penetration within the epidermis follows the order: olive oil > coconut oil > grape seed oil
> avocado oil
[49]. Moreover, the concentration of FFAs such as oleic acid with respect to triglycerides
correlates with clinical measures of skin barrier function (TEWL). This ratio determines molecular
interactions with SC lipids and the extent of their penetration within the epidermis [36]
cache link

[49] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26161938
Hydrogel >>>> olive oil >> liquid paraffin >> coconut oil > grape seed oil >> Avocado oil ≥ Crocodile oil >> Emu oil.

Coconut oil can clog pores. Olive oil disrupts the skin barrier and must not be used long term > dermatitis

OP
General Orange
...continuing
Poly- and monounsaturated fatty acids may influence the inflammatory responses either as
soluble lipoic mediators or in the form of phospholipids anchored in the cell membrane. Topical
applications of linolenic (n-3), linoleic (n-6), and oleic (n-9) FFAs can modulate the closure of surgically
induced skin wounds [50]. n-9 FFAs induced faster wound closure when compared to n-3, n-6, and
control
[50]. In fact, n-9 FFAs strongly inhibited the production of nitric oxide at the wound site.
A mild improvement on wound closure was observed in the n-6 FFA-treated animals, correlating
with a peak in nitric oxide production at 48 hours post-operatively. n-3 FFAs treatment significantly
delayed wound closure, which correlates to a peak in nitric oxide at three hours post-operatively [50]

..The penetration of oleic, linoleic, lauric and capric acids into human skin was studied by time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (TOF-SIMS) imaging and related to fatty acids enhancing effect on lipophilic model drug tolnaftate penetration into human epidermis and dermis ex vivo.
Only oleic acid significantly (P<0.05) enhanced tolnaftate penetration into epidermis (enhancing ratio equal to 1.867).
- study

Last edited:

Amazoniac

First of all, what's going on with Netherlands? Even though you have to zoom in the map of Europe to be able to find it, the country appears to concentrate scientists unlike any other. We have two options: a high ratio of scientists/humans or you must be having trouble moving around. It's the only red country in the world, and that's hash prejudice, I'm sure there are other things beyond a district.

But now to the irrelevant part:

I had an abandoned bottle of MK-7 that I decided to try after reading your thread. I used to think it had some inherent problem to it after experiencing negative effects but now I'm not sure if this is due to an induction of deficiencies in nutrients that are involved in bone metabolism: it seems so. Vitamin C status is one that appeared to deteriorate.

Comparison of menaquinone-4 and menaquinone-7 bioavailability in healthy women

A single dose (420 mcg) can be detected after more than 48 hours:

upload_2018-10-14_9-2-11.png
But the fishy part (not of the herring kind) is that a low dose still builds up over time in an unpredictable way, 60 mcg for 7 consecutive days:

upload_2018-10-14_9-2-27.png
They didn't specify when was the measurement, but how can you have such value if it only lingers for 2 days or so? The fresh dose is adding to what's fading from the last days and it can't build up that high unless they collected the blood when it was peaking from the last dose. Perhaps also, greater doses only change how it peaks and not so much the returning level.​
I don't know what to think yet, but it's worth having around the same nutrients that are used to mitigate problems from vit D.
Thanks for reminding me about it.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

The following are the vitamin A/K ratio of some foods. Cron-o-meter must be worried for me because today that's all I ate.

bC/K1:
0008:1 - Broccolo
0010:1 - Kale
0013:1 - Turnip greens
0014:1 - Spinach

Rn/K2:
0020:1 - Eggs
0039:1 - Butter
9500:1 - Liver

These ratios vary, but the point is that supplementing K2 when there isn't enough vitamin A can be unusual for the body. 1 mg of MK-4 would require 65000 IU of retinol daily (egg ratio), which is brutal.

B

Braveheart

The following are the vitamin A/K ratio of some foods. Cron-o-meter must be worried for me because today that's all I ate.

bC/K1:
0008:1 - Broccolo
0010:1 - Kale
0013:1 - Turnip greens
0014:1 - Spinach

Rn/K2:
0020:1 - Eggs
0039:1 - Butter
9500:1 - Liver

These ratios vary, but the point is that supplementing K2 when there isn't enough vitamin A can be unusual for the body. 1 mg of MK-4 would require 65000 IU of retinol daily (egg ratio), which is brutal.

" 1 mg of MK-4 would require 65000 IU of retinol daily (egg ratio), which is brutal." ...???? Huh?

Amazoniac

" 1 mg of MK-4 would require 65000 IU of retinol daily (egg ratio), which is brutal." ???? Huh?
I was just pointing out that you can't get this much K without way more A, therefore it's worth making sure the diet is providing some extra b-carotene for the body to regulate how much it needs. It's common to find members that neglect this but still get the unphysiological amounts of K from supplements.

B

Braveheart

I was just pointing out that you can't get this much K without way more A, therefore it's worth making sure the diet is providing some extra b-carotene for the body to regulate how much it needs. It's common to find members that neglect this but still get the unphysiological amounts of K from supplements.
thanks...in your opinion how much A is good?

Elephanto

@Amazoniac Beta-Carotene very poorly converts into Retinol and moreover it also acts a Retinoid signalling antagonist. I think it is more likely to have the opposite effect of actual vitamin A intake.
Beta-Carotene Is A Retinoid Antagonist

Its main benefit would probably be its antioxidant property but at the expense of Retinol antagonism, probably not worth it. Lycopene (from tomato sauce mainly) would be more interesting, also having anti-estrogenic effects and which serum levels inversely correlate with prostate cancer risks. We find many mechanistic similarities between balding and prostate cancer, and bald men have significantly higher risks of aggressive prostate cancer. In some studies, Beta Carotene intake is also positively associated with prostate cancer risks (not surprising considering that Retinol is anti-estrogenic, anti-cortisol, androgenic and triggers the anti-tumor gene P53) though results seem to vary probably due to confounding factors (people with diets rich in vegetables probably have healthier lifestyles and a greater total intake of antioxidants for instance; but lycopene does have theoretical mechanisms inhibiting prostate tumor progression and its confounding factor being that its main sources are gluten-containing pizza and spaghetti with heme iron coupled with acidity that increases absorption, those epidemiological studies probably don't reveal the extent of its efficacy)

Dietary α-carotene intake and lycopene consumption (both dietary intake and its blood levels) were all associated with reduced risk of PCa (RR for dietary α-carotene intake: 0.87, 95%CI: 0.76–0.99; RR for dietary lycopene intake: 0.86, 95%CI: 0.75–0.98; RR for blood lycopene levels: 0.81, 95%CI: 0.69–0.96).
α-carotene and lycopene, but not β-carotene, were inversely associated with the risk of PCa.
Effect of Carotene and Lycopene on the Risk of Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Dose-Response Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies

Relative risks for highest vs lowest quartiles of beta-carotene and vitamin C intake were 1.27 [95% confidence interval (CI) = 0.75-2.14] and 1.03 (95% CI = 0.59-1.60), respectively
Dietary beta-carotene, vitamin C, and risk of prostate cancer: results from the Western Electric Study. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac Beta-Carotene very poorly converts into Retinol and moreover it also acts a Retinoid signalling antagonist. I think it is more likely to have the opposite effect of actual vitamin A intake.
Beta-Carotene Is A Retinoid Antagonist

Its main benefit would probably be its antioxidant property but at the expense of Retinol antagonism, probably not worth it. Lycopene (from tomato sauce mainly) would be more interesting, also having anti-estrogenic effects and which serum levels inversely correlate with prostate cancer risks. We find many mechanistic similiraties between balding and prostate cancer, and bald men have significantly higher risks of aggressive prostate cancer. In some studies, Beta Carotene intake is also positively associated with prostate cancer risks (not surprising considering that Retinol is anti-estrogenic, anti-cortisol, androgenic and triggers the anti-tumor gene P53) though results seem to vary.

Effect of Carotene and Lycopene on the Risk of Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Dose-Response Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies

Dietary beta-carotene, vitamin C, and risk of prostate cancer: results from the Western Electric Study. - PubMed - NCBI
The only food that can provide plenty of preformed vitamin A in a safe form is liver, but not everyone have cravings for it or need the nutrients that are packed along, so you're left with supplements. But then larger doses are risky and this is a reason for favoring b-carotene, I agree with Trawis on this.

Those are a result of uneven splitting of the molecule and the poor conversion can mean that the person doesn't need or can't utilize them. You can probably normalize that by providing the required nutrients for vitamin A metabolism, such as vitamin E, B-vitamins, magnesium, zinc, and so on. But having a little extra shouldn't cause issues, it's just a way of allowing the body to convert more if needed; and if it does, it should be apparent and the person can moderate.

Last edited:

Elephanto

@Amazoniac
Liver is indeed problematic because of its high heme Iron content and potentially being a source of metalloestrogens like Cadmium, but I don't see higher doses being risky (which I agree with) as an argument against supplementing or favoring Beta-Carotene. I get between 2500 and 5000iu from supplement (purebulk powder) of course taken with Vitamin E to prevent potential oxidation. In some ways we live in an era where intelligent use of supplements could potentially raise some health parameters to historically unprecedented levels since we don't have to rely exclusively on food with their trade-offs; though that is counter-balanced with greater environmental injuries in modern life. I could see an optimal health state preventing undesirable features of Beta-Carotene if you say so, though I would need more convincing that in such state it cannot act at all as a Retinoid antagonist; but in any case I still find pure Retinol supplementation with physiological doses more interesting.

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac
Liver is indeed problematic because of its high heme Iron content and potentially being a source of metalloestrogens like Cadmium, but I don't see higher doses being risky (which I agree with) as an argument against supplementing or favoring Beta-Carotene. I get between 2500 and 5000iu from supplement (purebulk powder) of course taken with Vitamin E to prevent potential oxidation. In some ways we live in an era where intelligent use of supplements could potentially raise some health parameters to historically unprecedented levels since we don't have to rely exclusively on food with their trade-offs; though that is counter-balanced with greater environmental injuries in modern life. I could see an optimal health state preventing undesirable features of Beta-Carotene if you say so, though I would need more convincing that in such state it cannot act at all as a Retinoid antagonist; but in any case I still find pure Retinol supplementation with physiological doses more interesting.
Lower doses should be fine, it's just that if larger doses are needed, preformed vitamin A is riskier than b-carotene because the toxicity is more silent and by the time it manifests there might be some damage already. With carotenes you'll just assume a general orange color earlier and you can adjust the dose or increase the cofactors.

Back
Top Bottom