Gelatin's "Recommended Dosages" Way, Way Too High And

DMF

...and probably the reason why it isn't working in favor for those who are first timers, that is, making themselves sick, giving them negative reactions - symptoms - etc.
First timers ought to go a route similar to homeopathy - a small minute amount at first then gradually work their way up.
One tablespoon in the morning - then the same at night ? No way !! I gel 3 pints with 2 tablespoons that'll last several days at most.

Last edited:

rei

3 pints of what? tablespoon loads might be ok with food or in whole milk, while being stressful on the body in water, oj, etc.

Hugh Johnson

Peat says up to half of protein can come from gelatin. Random dude says, with no arguments to back up his assertion, that we should eat very little gelatin.

Such a difficult choice.

milkboi

I can't really eat larger amounts (15g+ I think) because of the high arginine amount in gelatin. So I stick to glycine supplementation.

I have noticed gelatin products when I make them at home smell like a rendering plant. Collagen doesn't. So I think collagen may not have as many endotoxins in it.

Inaut

I use collagen as well. No stomach pains and it mixes with all bevies

I don’t think isolated amino’s are a good idea because they can have contaminants and impurities and Isoforms that aren’t healthy

Anders86

Yeah collagen for the win. Isolated amino acids will only be beneficial for a period while toxins accumulate and make you crash. Is my experience.. I average 100g collagen a day.

baccheion

Why the need for more collagen/gelatin than what balances the glycine:methionine ratio to 3-4:1? What do additional amounts do?

meatbag

I myself haven't noticed this. I eat 2-4 packets of knox at a time, often uncooked just blended into a shake. Notice nothing but positives personally. Smells like nothing to me.

Anders86

Why the need for more collagen/gelatin than what balances the glycine:methionine ratio to 3-4:1? What do additional amounts do?

An egg, some meat and two liters of milk is around 100g of protein, I like the 1:1 ratio.

baccheion

An egg, some meat and two liters of milk is around 100g of protein, I like the 1:1 ratio.
Why is that? Doesn't say anything about the plusses of that much more collagen/gelatin. Further, ~30% of the body's protein is said to be collagen. Wouldn't that be a better ratio, after first subtracting what the body naturally produces each day?

Anders86

Why is that? Doesn't say anything about the plusses of that much more collagen/gelatin. Further, ~30% of the body's protein is said to be collagen. Wouldn't that be a better ratio, after first subtracting what the body naturally produces each day?

I feel very good with high collagen. Mood, digestion, relaxation and motivation is high. The days before I started these high doses I felt irritation in gut that resulted in worsened mood, making me believe it created serotonin, even pure milk.

I have read Peat saying 50% of proteins can come from collagen so I started making these shakes with 0.7L juice with 30g collagen, sugar, salt, aspirin, caffeine, MCT and niacinamide. With 1L milk(30g protein) they keep me at bay 6-10 hours. And then I have Latte with collagen to breakfast and dinner. I makes me feel consistently very good so I just continued on with it.

So no gut issues after starting high collagen.

baccheion

I feel very good with high collagen. Mood, digestion, relaxation and motivation is high. The days before I started these high doses I felt irritation in gut that resulted in worsened mood, making me believe it created serotonin, even pure milk.

I have read Peat saying 50% of proteins can come from collagen so I started making these shakes with 0.7L juice with 30g collagen, sugar, salt, aspirin, caffeine, MCT and niacinamide. With 1L milk(30g protein) they keep me at bay 6-10 hours. And then I have Latte with collagen to breakfast and dinner. I makes me feel consistently very good so I just continued on with it.

So no gut issues after starting high collagen.
What do you eat in a typical day (CRON-o-meter screenshot)? How long have you been eating that way? What effects? Did you have to slowly increase to such an amount of collagen/gelatin?

Jennifer

I've had a lot of painful burning in my intestines due to an infection that went untreated for years and marine collagen (from wild cod skins) has been amazingly calming and healing to my gut. There was a point when all I could consume without being doubled over in pain was the collagen in coconut water.