Gelatin Source

Amazoniac

If you're in doubt, opt for the Great Lakes gelatin, for £15.00 or so. Should last you a month or more depending on how much you use and you can make fish stews once in a while to make up for the other nutrients..
Or some store similar to this one:
http://thepaleobrothcompany.bigcartel.com/about-us
If you buy from a supermarket and they sell poor quality broth, so what? They are still fine and it won't matter that much. If you buy from a store that only sells broth and it's poor in quality, they are screwed; their business depends on their broth reputation..

OP
M

member 2106

Amazoniac said:
post 99405 If you're in doubt, opt for the Great Lakes gelatin, for £15.00 or so. Should last you a month or more depending on how much you use and you can make fish stews once in a while to make up for the other nutrients..
Or some store similar to this one:
http://thepaleobrothcompany.bigcartel.com/about-us
If you buy from a supermarket and they sell poor quality broth, so what? They are still fine and it won't matter that much. If you buy from a store that only sells broth and it's poor in quality, they are screwed; their business depends on their broth reputation..

Thanks, I will look into that! Would be handy to be able to drop some gelatine into coffee and stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

yerrag

I like head cheese. When I lived in Cincinnati, where there are many residents of German descent, I took to eating head cheese quickly. It's not something I would find now where I live. But I can make my own Chinese style version with pig legs, which has a lot of gelatin. Head cheese is also made from pig legs, all the way to the hock.

With salt and spices, added, the leg is slowly cooked with water until the skin becomes soft. At that point, pretty much all the gelatin will have been dissolved into the water. With a ladle, you can scoop out the fats on top. When cooled to room temperature, separate out the bones and discard, leaving the skin and meat. Then pour the meat and skin, and liquid into a pan, a loaf pan will do, and put in the ref. When cold, you can skim away the remaining fat on the surface of the gelatinous mass.

I usually just scoop out the contents and eat it cold, like an appetizer. It can go with rice, but as I eat rice hot, I don't like pairing it with something cold. I would prefer it made into a sandwich, for the occasional libations with bread.

Spices used are garlic and black peppers to oil-fry (an inch high) to caramelize and brown the skin, with soy sauce and Thai sweet sauce (known as kechap in Indonesia) to sweeten and to darken the skin. Water is then added, enough to cover the pork legs, and left to simmer for about 2 hours. Upon which, fish sauce is added to taste, and a whole piece of star anise (or a teaspoon of 5-spice) is added for a final 15 minutes of simmering. A rule of thumb ratio for kechap:soy sauce:fish sauce is 3:2:1. Be generous on the garlic. Too much won't hurt. Oh, the garlic has to be slightly browned by high heat first before adding the pork leg, but don't let the garlic burn or else there will be an burnt garlic taste to it.

I suppose I could one day try turning the loaf pan over and see how this gelatinous mass holds up by itself. It would be nice to have it sliced thin like I'd have it with head cheese.

I like head cheese. When I lived in Cincinnati, where there are many residents of German descent, I took to eating head cheese quickly. It's not something I would find now where I live. But I can make my own Chinese style version with pig legs, which has a lot of gelatin. Head cheese is also made from pig legs, all the way to the hock.

With salt and spices, added, the leg is slowly cooked with water until the skin becomes soft. At that point, pretty much all the gelatin will have been dissolved into the water. With a ladle, you can scoop out the fats on top. When cooled to room temperature, separate out the bones and discard, leaving the skin and meat. Then pour the meat and skin, and liquid into a pan, a loaf pan will do, and put in the ref. When cold, you can skim away the remaining fat on the surface of the gelatinous mass.

I usually just scoop out the contents and eat it cold, like an appetizer. It can go with rice, but as I eat rice hot, I don't like pairing it with something cold. I would prefer it made into a sandwich, for the occasional libations with bread.

Spices used are garlic and black peppers to oil-fry (an inch high) to caramelize and brown the skin, with soy sauce and Thai sweet sauce (known as kechap in Indonesia) to sweeten and to darken the skin. Water is then added, enough to cover the pork legs, and left to simmer for about 2 hours. Upon which, fish sauce is added to taste, and a whole piece of star anise (or a teaspoon of 5-spice) is added for a final 15 minutes of simmering. A rule of thumb ratio for kechap:soy sauce:fish sauce is 3:2:1. Be generous on the garlic. Too much won't hurt. Oh, the garlic has to be slightly browned by high heat first before adding the pork leg, but don't let the garlic burn or else there will be an burnt garlic taste to it.

I suppose I could one day try turning the loaf pan over and see how this gelatinous mass holds up by itself. It would be nice to have it sliced thin like I'd have it with head cheese.

I was just reading about head cheese and came across your comment Yerrag. Isn't the point of head cheese eating the head parts of the animal? I totally love how your Chinese aspic sounds. It certainly sounds better than tongue yuk!

yerrag

I was just reading about head cheese and came across your comment Yerrag. Isn't the point of head cheese eating the head parts of the animal? I totally love how your Chinese aspic sounds. It certainly sounds better than tongue yuk!
I never could understand where the head cheese name comes from.. Is that what that means? English has weird names like head cheese and sweet breads. Maybe it is really German. And maybe it's to confuse non-Aryans into eating stuff that isn't cheese and stuff that isn't sweet lol.

Tongue tastes good. If you're not told it's tongue, you'll eat it. Vienna sausage also taste good, just don't ask what it's made of. But since you're a Peat disciple, you should begin to acquaint yourself with them.

Dont travel like birds and flock together at tourist traps and eat Mickey D be it in Kabul or Venice. Just in LA alone, plenty of hole in the walls that serve animal parts whether in Sta. Monica or in Glendale. God, I miss LA and the real ethnic foods served there. I skip the Tony neighborhoods like Brentwood. Probably what can still be real there would be the delis, but I could be wrong. Give me any matzo ball made by Sysco, and I'll still think it's the bomb.

I never could understand where the head cheese name comes from.. Is that what that means? English has weird names like head cheese and sweet breads. Maybe it is really German. And maybe it's to confuse non-Aryans into eating stuff that isn't cheese and stuff that isn't sweet lol.

Tongue tastes good. If you're not told it's tongue, you'll eat it. Vienna sausage also taste good, just don't ask what it's made of. But since you're a Peat disciple, you should begin to acquaint yourself with them.

Dont travel like birds and flock together at tourist traps and eat Mickey D be it in Kabul or Venice. Just in LA alone, plenty of hole in the walls that serve animal parts whether in Sta. Monica or in Glendale. God, I miss LA and the real ethnic foods served there. I skip the Tony neighborhoods like Brentwood. Probably what can still be real there would be the delis, but I could be wrong. Give me any matzo ball made by Sysco, and I'll still think it's the bomb.

I never knew what head cheese was either, but from the name it didn't sound appealing. After reading a Ray Peat quote mentioning it I looked it up. I love your sense of adventure with foods. I have that same quality at least from my friends and family's perspective, as they would never eat crickets, sweet breads and whole fried baby crabs. Anyways i am glad I gave you a bit of food knowledge for a change. As much as I admire and SO appreciate benefiting from Ray Peat's work, I consider myself more of a disciple of Jesus. Anyways, I wonder what the benefit is from eating the head parts of the animal, gelatin?

"In the traditional diet, rather than just eating muscle meats, all the animal parts were used. Since collagen makes up about 50% of the protein in an animal, and is free of tryptophan, this means that people were getting about half as much tryptophan in proportion to other amino acids when they used foods such as “head cheese,” ox-tails, and chicken feet." -Ray Peat