Gelatin makes me too tired

Eberhardt

Yes! I thought you said 20 or 30 minutes which would be impossible for any bone broth to get gelatinous.
I did. ;)But not as recommended cooking time. Only that the degradation starts at that point. He does indeed though recommend cooking it for 3-4 hours.

2 = ok ?

Sitaruîm

i thinks its bad.
glycine increase gaba, and gaba suppress dopamine and motivation.
Isn't glycine intake encouraged by Ray and haidut as it is supposedly less inflammatory than the amino acids in, for example, meat? I've never had gelatin as a supplement before but I'm excited to try adding collagen powder to my diet. I may just start with a couple of times a week and see how I feel.

Eberhardt

Isn't glycine intake encouraged by Ray and haidut as it is supposedly less inflammatory than the amino acids in, for example, meat? I've never had gelatin as a supplement before but I'm excited to try adding collagen powder to my diet. I may just start with a couple of times a week and see how I feel.
It is. It counteracts some of the exitatory aminoacids like glutamin thus lowering the bodys stressresponse. And it competes with methionin and (if trypto isnt through a different mechanism) tryptophan as well as a couple of others. This means that if you eat meat which is high in these aminoacids, intake of glycine counteracts there innflammatory effects. It seems that most of the longevity effects of calorierestriction comes from aminoacid reduction as restricting the exitatory amino acids ahs been shown tonproduce the same or better longevity then calorie restriction. Since glycin is countering these aminoacids it should be able to produce the same effects as calorie restriction without the added stress.

Sitaruîm

It is. It counteracts some of the exitatory aminoacids like glutamin thus lowering the bodys stressresponse. And it competes with methionin and (if trypto isnt through a different mechanism) tryptophan as well as a couple of others. This means that if you eat meat which is high in these aminoacids, intake of glycine counteracts there innflammatory effects. It seems that most of the longevity effects of calorierestriction comes from aminoacid reduction as restricting the exitatory amino acids ahs been shown tonproduce the same or better longevity then calorie restriction. Since glycin is countering these aminoacids it should be able to produce the same effects as calorie restriction without the added stress.
I also wonder about the protein found in grains, are those amino acids generally inflammatory to those that don't have particular intolerances (i.e. gluten)? I know that these are hardly digested so it could be that the body simply excretes them without inflammation taking place.

I also wonder about the protein found in grains, are those amino acids generally inflammatory to those that don't have particular intolerances (i.e. gluten)? I know that these are hardly digested so it could be that the body simply excretes them without inflammation taking place.

Ray Peat calls grains "animal food" and "famine food". Notice they aren't on the Ray Peat food pyramid?

Attachments

• dcb6f60a8ff110a50aaada872910c211.jpg
    dcb6f60a8ff110a50aaada872910c211.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 39

Hgreen56

yess but everyone is different.
if your body already produce a lot (to much) gaba then taking foods that increasing it more has only negative effects.
Some people who by nature already have a lot of gaba in their system react great on Ginko for his gaba lowering effect. they get more energized, happy beceause there body's making to much gaba.
But other people that have low gaba floating in there system and taking Ginko that lowers gaba even more got anxious from it.
Its all about balance.

Last edited:

Eberhardt

yess but everyone is different.
if your body already produce a lot (to much) gaba then taking foods that increasing it more has only negative effects.
I agree that everyone is different but the gaba increase isnt the only thing it does. Meaning it is, as much is, a question of balance. How much can you eat of it without getting too high gaba. It would still work as an anti-inflammatory even if it overproduces gaba. I dint say everyonr has to though but the mechanisms are still valid!

Eberhardt

The innflamatory effects of some grains are to my understanding largely due to anti-nutrients, pufas and complex forms of protein like gluten which easily triggers immunerractions (which is a family of proteins) Amnio acids are different :)