Gelatin Makes Me Depressive. Any Solution?

hotte

I am taking 40g for better sleep and it works really impressive but makes me depressive since weeks. Is there any solution for it?

Andman

hard to say without more details
what brand of gelatin do you use?

first things that come to mind would be lowering of stress cascade (would fit with your sleep improvements), or gut irritation/endotoxin

Dennis

I have almost given up on trying to have Gelatin. I have tried 2 brands - "Great Lakes" and "Now" in various concentrations and at various times(1). Nothing seems to have worked. I get a bloated/rumbling stomach paralleled with not feeling well. What I have noticed is that when I have gelatinous meat (2) I do not have that problem, which leads me to believe that there might be some contaminants in the bands that I have tried.

1= Before meals, with meals, after meals, between meals etc.
2=Meat with lots of cartilage, tendons etc, this meat when heated with water and cooled forms a jiggly mass which I believe is gelatin.

Johhny Tazzle

40 grams seems like a lot, is it at one sitting? I just looked on my container, it said a serving is 12 grams whic is about 11 grams of protein. Ive noticed that when i take too much at once it doesnt benefit me

fradon

I have almost given up on trying to have Gelatin. I have tried 2 brands - "Great Lakes" and "Now" in various concentrations and at various times(1). Nothing seems to have worked. I get a bloated/rumbling stomach paralleled with not feeling well. What I have noticed is that when I have gelatinous meat (2) I do not have that problem, which leads me to believe that there might be some contaminants in the bands that I have tried.

1= Before meals, with meals, after meals, between meals etc.
2=Meat with lots of cartilage, tendons etc, this meat when heated with water and cooled forms a jiggly mass which I believe is gelatin.

most powdered gelatines contain sulphites and many people have intolerance to it.

stressucks

Have you tried just glycine? It helps my sleep and has actually alleviated some depression-type stuff I have.

DavidGardner

Well, glycine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so it's really not surprising that the thing that is allowing you to sleep is also making you lethargic and depressive the next day.

Since you're using gelatin as a sedative this applies: it's the conundrum of "uppers" and "downers." Take something during the day to increase energy/mood and the side effects are anxiety and insomnia. Take something to relax and sleep and the side effects are depression and lethargy.

You could just drink coffee (or more, if you're already having it) in the morning to counteract this, but the you might need even more gelatin to sleep, thus negating the benefit.

I'd still second what the previous poster says. Try glycine. If you were using gelatin as food, it would be different, but since you're basically using it as a sleep medication, glycine is more to the point.

OP
H

hotte

With Glycine the same happens. I tried 10g daily two months ago. I think the NMDA-Receptor is the problem but I am not sure.

MigFon

I have had the same problem when I take too much gelatin at once. So now I boil a cup of water, mix it with 35g of powder and let it solidify. Then I fragment the thing in 4 parts and distribute them through the day along with big meals. Zero problems with digestion/depression/lethargy.

Edit: I utilize any cheap brand, that I can buy in my country.

fradon

Mainly lethargic.

so perhaps low dopamine, adrenaline or even low glutamate.

glycine is inhibitory. the same way that gaba inhibits glutamate. glycine can raise your gaba making you feel tired and low energy.

Glutamate and GABA Balance - Nancy Mullan, MD
There is a neurotransmitter, which opposes glutamate, which has a calming effect. This is GABA, gamma amino butyric acid. It is an inhibitory neurotransmitter

Glycine is also a special case neurotransmitter. If the balance in your body is towards glutamate, glycine will be excitatory. If the balance is toward GABA, it will be inhibitory. So if you tend toward glutamate excess, avoid glycine.

since gelatin is full of glycine you could be raising your gaba.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

most powdered gelatines contain sulphites and many people have intolerance to it.

Do you have a source for this?

I suspect that gelatin is difficult to digest and should be mixed thoroughly with warm liquid such as coffee before consuming.

jet9

+1, also had negative experience with gelatin (in the form of pig ears).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals