Gelatin Issue [dissolving Gelatin Powder]

dez

hi all
i put gelatin powder in my coffee but i find it does not dissolve well and ends up as a big blob at the bottom of my cup, of course i use a spoon and get it all out and chew it, but i was wondering if others have this issue from powder or do you use gelatin strips.
what is better >
thanks on advance
dez

J

j.

Re: gelatin issue

I also got gelatin powder yesterday, and was wondering of ways to consume it.

Mittir

RP recommends dissolving the power completely in hot water, it helps with digestion.
If you are not having any digestive issue with partially dissolved gelatin then it should be fine.
You can try adding gelatin to hotter coffee next time.

BaconBits

dez said:
hi all
i put gelatin powder in my coffee but i find it does not dissolve well and ends up as a big blob at the bottom of my cup, of course i use a spoon and get it all out and chew it, but i was wondering if others have this issue from powder or do you use gelatin strips.
what is better >
thanks on advance
dez

The hydrolizate can be eaten directly. But for the regular the directions on all gelatin products say put the powder or leaf in cold water foe 2-5 minutes and the put in hot liquid.

If you try to put it directly into hot liquid I dont know, I tried once it just did not want to dissolve that easily like when it got hydrated in cold water, it took me 5 minutes of fast mixing and some of it just sticked to the bottom of the cooking pot.

j. said:
Mad cow disease isn't an issue, right?

It was thinking about that to. If they use the bones in making the gelatin it could. I spoke to my manufacturer of gelatin and they said it was from pig skin. When the mad cow disease epidemic came about in Britain 80s in Germany 90s anything that had obvious parts of nervous system was banned. Oxtail, bones, meat on the bone,...

80% of gelatin in Europe is from pig skin, 15% from cow skin and 5% from cow bones.

I dont know about US but there wasnt any mad cow cases I think up there.

IIRC RP does not believe in mad cow disease. He talked about it in an interview.
He also wrote an article on it.
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/madcow.shtml

This disease its kind of weird. Mark Purdey did extensive research and his articles can be find at WAP foundation. His theory is that the "pesticide" they injected into cows started it, but that also low levels of copper and high levels of manganese are the reason. But it it kind of weird because cases of mad cow started to appear all over Austria and Germany an other parts of Europe to cattle that was even fed mostly grass.

The human variant of mad cow CJD is a horrible disease that eats your brains out. But there is a article on the internet about a vegan who got the CJD.

OP
D

dez

i dissolve it in cold water and it makes a nice gel - i then add coffee to it and it dissolves well but i am still left with a big blob in the bottom of my cup

i tried hot water and it just makes it go all congealed

dez

OP
D

dez

thanks jenn i will give it a go
dez

Peata

I've been using Knox or a store brand in the packets, but I'm starting to use more so I went ahead and ordered Great Lakes (the porcine one). I think the ones I'm using are also from pork, and I like them OK (as long as I mix them in something flavored, otherwise I get the slight taste of pork rinds, lol).

I find it mixes OK in hot liquid. So I'll heat my milk for coffee, then stir in the gelatin, then stir in the hot coffee, sugar, a little coconut oil. I use 1 T. of gelatin in coffee.

Peata

Oh, I can't be 100% sure it's the gelatin, but since starting gelatin daily, my lips are fuller, which is great 'cause I always had what I thought were little thin lips, lol.

Kray

j. said:
I'm getting beef gelatin from iherb.

j- do you still do the gelatin? Great Lakes? Green, orange, both? What's been your experience with green, if you've had it? Can you think of any reason people can't seem to tolerate gelatin, especially since it seems to be low in histidine (isn't this the a.a. that converts to histamine, or can other a.a.'s in gelatin do so?).

Thanks!

Kray

dez said:
thanks jenn i will give it a go
dez

do you use the regular gelatin in coffee, or hydrolyzed? Seems the regular would make it rather unsavory in texture....