Gelatin Increases The "Death" Hormone

Two hours after eating a hefty portion of gelatine your body has a surge in growth hormone production. Nutritionists at the University of Maastricht write about their discovery in the European

Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Gelatine raises GH better than soya protein, the whey protein alpha-lactalbumin and milk protein

Last edited by a moderator:

ken

Interesting, the experiment is 8 tablespoons of gelatin without any carbs. I think Ray advices protein with carbs to avoid an inflammatory response.

Tenacity

ken was saying that the increase in stress hormones and growth hormone was probably due to the fact that gelatin was eaten without sugar. Sugar would have prevented this, so this is not a good study to suggest you shouldn't eat gelatin.

jyb

Interesting, the experiment is 8 tablespoons of gelatin without any carbs. I think Ray advices protein with carbs to avoid an inflammatory response.

Not sure if that's the explanation for the gelatin growth hormone surge though. It is not true that eating pure protein necessarily results in low blood sugar. That depends on your condition.

ken

"The researchers gave their subjects the proteins in shakes, with no carbohydrates added. The dosage was 0.6 g protein/kg bodyweight. The subjects did no sport."

CoolTweetPete

I'm running out of Ray Peat right again emojis.

TubZy

GH is higher when insulin levels are low. Hence why bodybuilders inject HGH on an empty stomach so they get a better response. Insulin blunts GH release...so what we are saying is take the gelatin/glycine with food (sugar/carbs) so the GH release (from the gelatin) will be blunted by the rise in insulin from the carbs/sugar.

OP
Bahaa El wazzan
GH is higher when insulin levels are low. Hence why bodybuilders inject HGH on an empty stomach so they get a better response. Insulin blunts GH release...so what we are saying is take the gelatin/glycine with food (sugar/carbs) so the GH release (from the gelatin) will be blunted by the rise in insulin from the carbs/sugar.
Ohhh I got it thanks

TubZy

Ohhh I got it thanks

Yeah man , np. In my opinion, I dont think the GH release from gelatin is that significant compared to synthetic GH or growth hormone peptides. So it shouldn't be that big of a deal. From my personal experience

Giraffe

so what we are saying is take the gelatin/glycine with food (sugar/carbs) so the GH release (from the gelatin) will be blunted by the rise in insulin from the carbs/sugar.
Hypoglycemia triggers the release of growth hormone. Proteins are insulinogenic. To eat proteins on their own can result in hypoglycemia; co-ingestion of carbs prevents the hypoglycemia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals