Gelatin, grogginess

stsfut

I’ve been taking before bed for a while now and usually makes me very sleepy as intended, but lately I’ve been feeling groggy upon waking and feel like I need more sleep. Any reason why? Such as taking too much glycine might increase requirements for xyz, etc..TIA

You know, I have upped my gelatin lately, by drinking gelatin mixed in water and eating chicharrones, and shortly after have felt that dreamy grogginess too, but in the middle of the day. I wonder why? I never felt any of that before, this past couple of weeks.

sladerunner69

It's from too much GABA stimulation, and not enough glutamate stimulation. Most stressed out people have too much glutamate and benefit from GABAnergenic substances such as glycine, progesterone, k2, etc. But GABA over-stimulation (or over-sedation, really) is a thing too. Ultimately this means you feel sedated, "half-awake", not driven, "spaced-out", unemotional, etc. Some people are more sensitive to gelatin and glycine than others. Glycine is actually considerred a nervous system depressant, which can be a good thing in the context of excitotoxicity. But too much is too much, and is not fun. If you want to experience an extreme effect, take 20 grams of glycine. It is a very unnatural amount of glycine to consume, as eating a full serving of meat with the skin and tendons would yield only a few grams at most. Some people can't consume and gelatin, collagen, even skin without headaches and problems. Personally I use a few grams of glycine before bed, and one scoop of collagen in my morning coffee, but nothing more or I can't get motivated to succeed. For some reason though, drinking warm homemade bone broth doesn't seem to have the same strong effect and I can tolerate more of it.

Don

Great post thanks guys. I have increased my gelatin consumption and noticed more tiredness. was thinking maybe histamine response as well maybe ?

JamesGatz

It's from too much GABA stimulation, and not enough glutamate stimulation. Most stressed out people have too much glutamate and benefit from GABAnergenic substances such as glycine, progesterone, k2, etc. But GABA over-stimulation (or over-sedation, really) is a thing too. Ultimately this means you feel sedated, "half-awake", not driven, "spaced-out", unemotional, etc.
This is interesting - seems to describe me when I eat too much gelatin - good mood, unmotivated, stress-free, just feel like hanging out in my bed and talking sh*t to my family lol would higher protein from non-gelatin sources counter-act this? Trying to experiment on ways I could balance GABA without increasing stress

Tim Lundeen

Gelatin is typically high fluoride, not convinced it's a safe food. I haven't found any that's tested...

OP
S

stsfut

Appreciate all the input..I think I’m just going to skip it for a little while

This is interesting - seems to describe me when I eat too much gelatin - good mood, unmotivated, stress-free, just feel like hanging out in my bed and talking sh*t to my family lol would higher protein from non-gelatin sources counter-act this? Trying to experiment on ways I could balance GABA without increasing stress
I think you hit on something there James. I have been having my gelatin lately without any meat proteins. That must be what is making the difference. I like the feeling, like I took a dose of Nyquil for a short time.

sladerunner69

Yes I get most of my protein from dairy or muscle meat. I've also found that one does not need as much protein as for example, bodybuilders or military men recommend. 50-100grams per day is plenty, even for a 215lb former athlete like myself. Here are some common protein based meals I have: A large glass of low fat choco milk, a bowl of Greek yogurt with honey, a fruit smoothie with a raw egg yolks and casein powder, pancakes made from dried nonfat milk powder (I know Peat no longer recommends this), a lean beef patty with a slice of Gouda cheese on top and a coke to wash it down with, a bowl of cream of mushroom and oyster soup, a boneless/skinless chicken breast with coconut curry sauce, spaghetti squash with lean beef tomato sauce, beef jerky and grapes, trimmed organic pork roast with jelly, brisket or oxtail pho soup, steak/shrimp tacos with corn tortillas, soft boiled eggs with potatoes for dipping.

The important thing I think is to not have too much meat due to phosphate and iron, so I try to only have one serving per day-usually at dinner. Then for other meals or snacks I tend to have something involving dairy and fruit.