Gelatin/glycine timing

YuraCZ

Peatit said:
I am wondering if to achieve a good balance in our amino acids intake it is mandatory to co ingest for example meat and gelatin in a small time frame or if they can be eaten at different time point (ie different meals)?
Thanks
I drink 10g of glycine 3 times a day(first thing in the morning, in the middle of the day and before last meal in the night). Gelatin(hydrolyzed pork collagen) I take at least 60g a day. Usually I add 10g of gelatin to every meal. To the milk, rice with eggs or liver and also to the orange juice..

Brian

YuraCZ said:
I drink 10g of glycine 3 times a day(first thing in the morning, in the middle of the day and before last meal in the night). Gelatin(hydrolyzed pork collagen) I take at least 60g a day. Usually I add 10g of gelatin to every meal. To the milk, rice with eggs or liver and also to the orange juice..

Wow, that is a lot. When I've tried taking 8 grams of glycine per day I would get irritated gums as if I was possibly using up all the Vitamin C in my body. Have you noticed anything positive from taking that much?

YuraCZ

Well I was(I'm still..) so ****88 up... I'm "Peating" only about a month, but for example my spine doesn't hurt so much and my skin looks better I think. I don't have any problems with glycine, it's like sweet water..

aguilaroja

Peatit said:
I am wondering if to achieve a good balance in our amino acids intake it is mandatory to co ingest for example meat and gelatin in a small time frame or if they can be eaten at different time point (ie different meals)?

It does seem useful to include some gelatin at the same meal when there is large meat intake. My experience is that the higher priority is that gelatin or collagen-rich food sources or glycine/proline equivalents be used regularly, even if the timing is different.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml
"If a person eats a large serving of meat, it's probably helpful to have 5 or 10 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time, so that the amino acids enter the blood stream in balance."

In the same article:

"The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin."

"Although pure glycine has its place as a useful and remarkably safe drug, it shouldn't be thought of as a food, because manufactured products are always likely to contain peculiar contaminants."

OP
Peatit

Peatit

Thank you very much aguilaroja,the reminder from the RP article is very useful but i don't understand the meaning of the following extract of your comment (maybe because of my broken English :oops: ):

aguilaroja said:
My experience is that the higher priority is that gelatin or collagen-rich food sources or glycine/proline equivalents be used regularly, even if the timing is different.

Anyway RP seems to advocate a more or less simultaneous intake.

YuraCZ

Peatit said:
For those who have forgot it (like me):

From "Gelatin, stress, longevity":

Ray Peat said:
If a person eats a large serving of meat, it's probably helpful to have 5 or 10 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time, so that the amino acids enter the blood stream in balance.
Ground beef, collagen and rice. I like this combination. It's like soup. Yum yum yum yum :wink:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals