Gelatin/Glycine In Ground Beef

Aymen

Let's assume i,m buying freshly grounded beef from the butcher (50 % LEAN, 50% FAT) and then i fry it and eat 250 g of it, will i get gelatin/glycine from it or do i need 3 hours of boiling to get the gelatin?

tankasnowgod

Let's assume i,m buying freshly grounded beef from the butcher (50 % LEAN, 50% FAT) and then i fry it and eat 250 g of it, will i get gelatin/glycine from it or do i need 3 hours of boiling to get the gelatin?

50/50 would be a LOT of fat.

That aside, you will be getting a decent amount of glycine from your ground beef, no matter how long you cook it. Any gelatin in it (depending on the cut) you should get too. The longer cooking techniques are mainly to make the more gelatinous cuts less tough.

Vinny

That aside, you will be getting a decent amount of glycine from your ground beef, no matter how long you cook it. Any gelatin in it (depending on the cut) you should get too. The longer cooking techniques are mainly to make the more gelatinous cuts less tough.

lvysaur

I'm not sure, but this is why I've always had the opinion that eye round makes the best burger meat, not chuck.

Eye round, and nearby cuts on the round, is dry and seems devoid of gelatin. Great for fast cooking burgers. They also taste terrible on their own, so again burgers.

Chuck has a decent amount of gelatin, and if you just get chuck and grind it yourself and make a burger, you will get occasional tiny grains of unchewable gelatin. No idea if this gelatin gets absorbed, but intuition says it's better to stew chuck meat.

OP
A

Aymen

Thank you man.

Inaut

chuck roast steaks are the best value and one of my favourite cuts. Just enough fat, meat and collagen.

JohnHafterson

Oyster blade steaks ( flat iron ) have a lot of easily chewable collagen.

They are a very good cut of beef relatively tender and affordable imo.

Easy to cook cut into 3/4 inch strips or cubes, pan fry high in butter for a few minutes.

That center line is all collagen/gelatin as is the outer line between meat and fat.

IMG_1739%5B1%5D.JPG

JohnHafterson

Oyster blade steaks ( flat iron ) have a lot of easily chewable collagen.

They are a very good cut of beef relatively tender and affordable imo.

Easy to cook cut into 3/4 inch strips or cubes, pan fry high in butter for a few minutes.

That center line is all collagen/gelatin as is the outer line between meat and fat.

IMG_1739%5B1%5D.JPG
IMG_1739[1].JPG