Gelatin Enhances Non-gene Iron Uptake, Glycine Does Not

olive

Hydroxyproline, from gelatin, significantly enhances absorption of non-heme iron - in rats - according to this 2019 study.

Glycine did not share this property. Which further enhances the mounting evidence for pure glycine supplements over gelatin.

Dietary gelatin enhances non-heme iron absorption possibly via regulation of systemic iron homeostasis in rats
Dietary gelatin enhances non-heme iron absorption possibly via regulation of systemic iron homeostasis in rats - ScienceDirect

Edit: phone autocorrected the heading - should read “non-heme iron”, not “non-gene iron” - if a mod/admin could edit the title I would be appreciative

lampofred

This is actually a good thing and shows that we should be supplementing gelatin, not just glycine.

Iron uptake is a good thing because it increases red blood cells, oxygenation, dopamine, etc. It is free iron that is bad because it causes uncontrolled oxidation. So we should be seeking to reduce iron intake as much as we can but to utilize the iron we do take in to the fullest extent possible.

Based on this, I think a lot of the members on here who felt better after supplementing iron actually needed to supplement gelatin.

sladerunner69

I once heard someone say that there is concern over glycine being contaminated with heavy metals such as lead. Anyone know about this?