Gelatin: Does It Needs To Be Heaten Or Dissolved?

vulture

Sorry if it's a rePeatEd question haha but didn't find info about it: I'm currently buying and using gelatin powder, usually with my coffee (and cacao) dissolved, but I'm wondering: would it be digested just fine if I take the powder and add it to a fruit juice without heating or dissolving it?

It's kinda cheap protein here, cheaper per gram of protein than eggs or meat, I know Peat talks about 2 g of protein per kilo of body weight but without sardines is kinda expensive for me, but if I could use gelatin as a protein powder in juices, life would be easier hehe

Prosper

When I take gelatin I just pour some in my mouth and drink water, no problems.

paymanz

Is that hydrolyzed gelatine?

Because with normal gelatin powder I think it is really dangerous to eat it like that. I think it may choke me! It becomes sticky like a glue.

normal gelatine thickens things. A lot.

You soften it in a little COLD water for 5 or 10 minutes, then you add it to hot water or heat it up.

Collagen doesn't thicken and is what I prefer because I don't like gelatine and how it thickens (unless I'm making gummy fruits or something.)

Prosper

Is that hydrolyzed gelatine?

Because with normal gelatin powder I think it is really dangerous to eat it like that. I think it may choke me! It becomes sticky like a glue.
Yeah it can be very sticky but I wouldn't say it's REALLY DANGEROUS.

Pointless

I cook my hydrolyzed collagen in beef/mushrooms or fruit juice before consuming it. It makes it easier to digest. My joints and gut feel less inflamed. Hydrolyzed collagen is an improvement over raw gelatin, which is VERY difficult to digest. Most of the aminos go right through you, and it's been proven to be more difficult to digest than gristle with fur. I can't find the study that researched this, but it was posted on here somewhere.

OP
vulture

vulture

I cook my hydrolyzed collagen in beef/mushrooms or fruit juice before consuming it. It makes it easier to digest. My joints and gut feel less inflamed. Hydrolyzed collagen is an improvement over raw gelatin, which is VERY difficult to digest. Most of the aminos go right through you, and it's been proven to be more difficult to digest than gristle with fur. I can't find the study that researched this, but it was posted on here somewhere.
Jesus you all gonna drive me mad haha I thought simple gelatin would get the job done. I get about one pound for 3 $. Real cheap compared to your hydrolized collagen (20$ a pound). What if I just eat some extra gelatin? Wouldn't it work?

Jesus you all gonna drive me mad haha I thought simple gelatin would get the job done. I get about one pound for 3 $. Real cheap compared to your hydrolized collagen (20$ a pound). What if I just eat some extra gelatin? Wouldn't it work?

sure, just add to cold water and soften...and then add more fluid and heat it up...alls' good when it fully dissolves...

DaveFoster

1465205875182.gif

Pointless

Gelatin is fine. You just need to cook it. What's your source?

Raw gelatin -> indigestible
Hydrolyzed Collagen -> decent
Cooked gelatin or collagen -> good

kiran

I know Peat talks about 2 g of protein per kilo of body weight

Hmmm, do you have a reference for that, 2g/kg is some bodybuilding requirement? As far as I can remember, Peat says you need at least 80-100g of protein daily.

Fully bloomed gelatin is a quick alternative to make it digestible. The texture is similar to that of bubble tea with very small bubbles.

OP
vulture

vulture

Usually an almost white powder I buy, tasteless and sticky if not heaten and dissolved.
Sometimes I cook beef knees for hours and eat their connective tissues and bone broth

OP
vulture

vulture

Sorry, I misinterpreted. I lift weights and it's what usually we take as reference, but for me (a 70-72 kg male) it would be about 2 g per kg

Dobbler

wait raw gelatin does that mean powdered form , is indigestible? i throw some gelatin to juice and drink it before it settles, does that count as raw?

ilpmusic

There is a big difference between gelatin and collagen. Gelatin is for hot liquid collagen is for cold liquid. Gelatin actually is better for sleeping at night and for stronger to digest. First to solve the gelatin with a tablespoon of water to let it bloom. Then add your drink, soup, or whatever you're using it for. It does thicken if you don't drink it right away. When you use gelatin with cold liquids it is this gritty taste and it is not very recommended. I take gelatin in the morning and at night before I go to bed. I also use collagen throughout the day if I want to to make smoothies or a pro workout drink with orange juice. I have tried different brands of gelatin and collagen. I found out that The cheaper collagen or gelatin taste really bad. But if you mix it in soup you can't tell the difference.

OP
vulture

vulture

Interesting. I'm thinking about using starch, fat and, now that you say that, even gelatin in my dinner to see if I wake up at 3 AM because of lacking nutrients or not. I'm even thinking (speculation) that as starch haves a slower absorption and digestion rate than fruits, it's a good idea to have it in my dinner to keep me asleep.

Gellatin I bought seems to be kinda tasteless.

johnwester130

i used red tub gelatin and green can gelatin for about 8 months

my health improved when i stopped taking them, and glycine powder was the worst, it kept me cold for 3 days and gave me brain fog

taurine capsules made me feel good though,

ilpmusic

i used red tub gelatin and green can gelatin for about 8 months

my health improved when i stopped taking them, and glycine powder was the worst, it kept me cold for 3 days and gave me brain fog

taurine capsules made me feel good though,
Yes everyone is different . For me it cured my 13 years of medically diagnosed insomnia . I started taking it may 6 2017 and stopped my meds for insomnia . I see my dr for medical clearance in 2 days!!!! I am sure my dr " will be thrilled "that I am using dairy, salt , sugar, gelatin to cure it

Mauritio

Would it make gelatin more digestible if i put in a glas and pour boiling water over it ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals