Gelatin Creme Brulee - FINALLY A Gelatin Recipe I LOVE To Eat

lyfe

I've been toying around with gelatin trying to find a recipe that masks the taste of it. Although I don't find the taste of gelatin repulsive, it definitely isn't "good." I wanted to try to make a recipe that resembled creme brulee and this is what I came up with. It tastes best about 20 minutes after the gelatin starts to initially set. If you let the gelatin fully set, the flavor will not be as good, nor will the texture. You want it to have a creme brulee texture, not a gummy bear texture. Anyhow, here is the recipe. You can use more gelatin but bear in mind that the flavor will be much stronger and you might need more sugar to mask it.

INGREDIENTS

1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar ( I prefer 2 )
1 or 2 packets of gelatin. This comes out to either 7 or 14 grams. I prefer 1 packet.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Begin by measuring out 1/2 cup of whole milk. Place it in a container and sprinkle your packet(s) of gelatin evenly over the milk, allowing it to bloom.

2. While the gelatin is blooming, bring the remaining cup of whole milk close to a boil. Keep an eye on this and stir occasionally.

3. Place your sugar in the blooming mixture, along with the vanilla and whisk until it is dissolved.

4. When your milk is heated enough, pour it over the rest of your ingredients and whisk vigorously for at least 1-2 minutes, insuring the gelatin fully dissolves.

Place your finished product in the refrigerator and allow it to slightly set. The end product will taste like creme brulee and is absolutely delicious. This is one of the only ways I truly enjoy gelatin. You can use low fat, 1-2 % milk as well but it will not taste as good. I love to eat this prior to sleeping.

ENJOY!

Last edited:

GreenTrails

I've been toying around with gelatin trying to find a recipe that masks the taste of it. Although I don't find the taste of gelatin repulsive, it definitely isn't "good." I wanted to try to make a recipe that resembled creme brulee and this is what I came up with. It tastes best about 20 minutes after the gelatin starts to initially set. If you let the gelatin fully set, the flavor will not be as good, nor will the texture. You want it to have a creme brulee texture, not a gummy bear texture. Anyhow, here is the recipe. You can use more gelatin but bear in mind that the flavor will be much stronger and you might need more sugar to mask it.

INGREDIENTS

1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar ( I prefer 2 )
1 or 2 packets of gelatin. This comes out to either 7 or 14 grams. I prefer 1 packet.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Begin by measuring out 1/2 cup of whole milk. Place it in a container and sprinkle your packet(s) of gelatin evenly over the milk, allowing it to bloom.

2. While the gelatin is blooming, bring the remaining cup of whole milk close to a boil. Keep an eye on this and stir occasionally.

3. Place your sugar in the blooming mixture, along with the vanilla and whisk until it is dissolved.

4. When your milk is heated enough, pour it over the rest of your ingredients and whisk vigorously for at least 1-2 minutes, insuring the gelatin fully dissolves.

Place your finished product in the refrigerator and allow it to slightly set. The end product will taste like creme brulee and is absolutely delicious. This is one of the only ways I truly enjoy gelatin. You can use low fat, 1-2 % milk as well but it will not taste as good. I love to eat this prior to sleeping.

ENJOY!
Thank you for sharing this recipe! It sounds yummy! I'll definitely try it.

mrchibbs

Thanks for this recipe.

However, just one comment on the taste of gelatin.

It shouldn't have much of a taste at all in the first place. If you're using standard Knox cooking gelatin, it's a very cheap product and I'm not surprised if it has an off-putting taste.

But Great Lakes Gelatin or higher quality brands have no taste at all.

I personally find the easiest way to supplement gelatin, is to use it in hot cocoa. Add a little cold milk to a cup, along with 1-2tbsp of gelatin, and mix well. Add the cocoa powder, sugar and other ingredients. Cover with hot water and fill the cup while stirring. Job done.

SQu

Look forward to trying this. I have a number of ways of using gelatin in hot milk or coffee or cocoa, or I have it with powdered orange drink and then it tastes like hot jelly, something I have always loved. You can drink most of it hot and let the last inch solidify with the teaspoon in it and then eat that. You can also make a jelly with orange juice as Peat does, which really is delicious. If you are having gelatin daily you need a couple of quick, easy and tasty ways to do that. So thanks, off to try this now!

revenant

Been eating a variation of this for a few days now, it's pretty good. It'll be interesting to see what 20 grams of gelatin (mixed in 1 liter of milk) per day does.

brix

Thanks for this recipe.

It shouldn't have much of a taste at all in the first place. If you're using standard Knox cooking gelatin, it's a very cheap product and I'm not surprised if it has an off-putting taste.

I personally find the easiest way to supplement gelatin, is to use it in hot cocoa. Add a little cold milk to a cup, along with 1-2tbsp of gelatin, and mix well. Add the cocoa powder, sugar and other ingredients. Cover with hot water and fill the cup while stirring. Job done.

I do this with my coffee but it always leaves a sticky residue that is hard to clean off. How do you manage?

Arnold Grape

Try Panna Cotta sometime, which does something similar — a lot of restaurants serve this now, but it is also fun to make at home.

Jam

This is basically a recipe for panna cotta light, using milk instead of cream. The only other differences are a bit less gelatin, and it is normally left to set in the fridge overnight.

R J

I do this with my coffee but it always leaves a sticky residue that is hard to clean off. How do you manage?

Mix the gelatin with cold milk first, let it bloom for a bit then heat it however you do. Since I started mixing it in cold milk first instead of just dumping it in finished hot coffee it leaves little to no gunk. This is assuming you don’t drink black coffee and do drink lattes

mamakitty

Thanks for this recipe.

Great lakes has a very off putting smell to it. I can not get over it, and I have been using it for years

mrchibbs

Great lakes has a very off putting smell to it. I can not get over it, and I have been using it for years

Not been my experience. Been using it for 5 years as well.

Green Dot

This was yummy. I did notice that the more I let it solidify, the less sweet it became though. Wonder why so.