Gelatin Contributing To Kidney Stones?

DMF

May Gelatin, in any way, increase the possibility of kidney stone formartion?

nwo2012

DMF said:
May Gelatin, in any way, increase the possibility of kidney stone formartion?

No, in the context of a healthy person. Yes it can increase oxalate formation. A Peat eater need not worry about developing renal stones. Same as giving white sugar to a heavy PUFA eater, will cause issues but not for Peaters.

pboy

I'd suspect you would have to eat it in a largely disporportionate amount of it compared to other foods.
Protein is only really a problem for the kidneys when it is being burned as your body's primary fuel source, and in
large amounts, which would only happen if you didnt have any glucose / and/or fatty acids/ketones to burn before
the protein...which juice and milk would more than provide.
You'd basically only have to worry if when you became hungry you filled up on pretty much only protein and nothing else. (generally no one in the world does this except SAD american fools on a diet)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I just passed a kidney stone recently and my theory was that it was from too much bag breathing.

Jenn

Raw potato will quickly alkalize the urine and help with stones....but urine is supposed to be acidic, so should not be eaten for too long. Too alkaline urine can encourage UTI, especially for women, so be careful.

If the kidneys are stressed, yes, gelatin can add extra stress. Eating it in gelled form, as in jello, is less stressful for the kidneys, as opposed to liquid as in hot coffee.