gelatin as a protein sparer

Dean

I believe I picked up this notion in the Nourishing Traditions book several years back when I was in my in between paleo/low carb/zero carb phase and "peating." Anyway, the point was that gelatin somehow "tricks (don't know if that's the right word)" the body into thinking it is getting a larger amount of protein than it really is. I've never heard Peat though extol that virtue of gelatin, as I recall. So, is it bunk? Or, could you get along well with less than 80 g of protein if you were consuming a significant amount of gelatin as your main or sole primary protein source?

ilovewriting

Dean said:
post 103564 I believe I picked up this notion in the Nourishing Traditions book several years back when I was in my in between paleo/low carb/zero carb phase and "peating." Anyway, the point was that gelatin somehow "tricks (don't know if that's the right word)" the body into thinking it is getting a larger amount of protein than it really is. I've never heard Peat though extol that virtue of gelatin, as I recall. So, is it bunk? Or, could you get along well with less than 80 g of protein if you were consuming a significant amount of gelatin as your main or sole primary protein source?
I posted studies claiming that
ilovewriting said:
post 103238 collagen hydrolysate appears to be almost completely and rapidly utilized
though "perhaps half" of studies are believed to be a fraud. See http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/ ... 0696-1.pdf

So (applying my 2c), the body may, in fact, be getting a greater amount of protein from collagen hydrolysate, because the protein is being utilized.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but gelatin (I think) is hydrolyzed to make collagen hydrolysate, and perhaps gelatin can also be utilized better than other sources, if not quite as well as collagen hydrolysate.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Dean

yeah, the collagen hydrolysate was all the rage in this forum a year or more back. Don't hear as much about it these days. I'm wondering if those who were using it extensively hit roadblocks, tired of it, or still use it extensively, but have moved on to other discussion topics.

It's interesting...with the momentum in the forum decidedly moving in the direction of low fat, if not very low fat, it would seem to be a perfect fit; yet, most seem to be using low fat milk or casein powder instead, or so it seems

ilovewriting

Dean said:
yeah, the collagen hydrolysate was all the rage in this forum a year or more back. Don't hear as much about it these days. I'm wondering if those who were using it extensively hit roadblocks, tired of it, or still use it extensively, but have moved on to other discussion topics.

It's interesting...with the momentum in the forum decidedly moving in the direction of low fat, if not very low fat, it would seem to be a perfect fit; yet, most seem to be using low fat milk or casein powder instead, or so it seems
I haven't been here long, but I've noticed I think one prolific poster, Georgi? Consistent with his member name, haidut (meaning "rebel"), Georgi (admirably) likes to do things his own way, even if Ray Peat might not always agree. :)

I do see where Ray Peat's written about gelatin here:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

I think Ray Peat has also said he uses quite a bit of gelatin himself, and has suggested collagen hydrolysate in email to those who may not digest gelatin very well, while he seems to warn against using amino acids as food (as Georgi seems to recommend):
Ray Peat said:
Although pure glycine has its place as a useful and remarkably safe drug, it shouldn't be thought of as a food, because manufactured products are always likely to contain peculiar contaminants.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ilovewriting said:
post 103597 I haven't been here long, but I've noticed I think one prolific poster, Georgi? Consistent with his member name, haidut (meaning "rebel"), Georgi (admirably) likes to do things his own way, even if Ray Peat might not always agree.
Well thats funny, "visionofstrength" aka "teenpeater" aka "VoS". You have been here quite a while. :roll:

Last edited:
OP
D

Dean

Haidut does seem to go his own way, to an extent, in terms of food. I presume that's why he doesn't spend any time on here playing diet police. I asked him recently why he wasn't more vocal about his liberal (in Peat terms) diet and he didn't seem to have much interest in answering it. Perhaps it's a liability thing or I surmised that perhaps his opinion is that once you cross a certain threshold into good health, micros, ratios, balancing meat with gelatin, etc don't matter, yet below the threshold they are critical. Maybe he will be enticed to drop in and illuminate?

Anyway, Kempner's rice and fruit diet would seem to challenge the notion that micros matter for people below the threshold of good health.

edit: for clarification, I don't mean the above to be some thinly veiled, backhanded criticism, or baiting, of Haidut. I respect and appreciate his contributions (and his discretion on when and where he contributes) to the forum and use more than one of his supplements on a daily basis.