gelatin as a protein sparer

Dean

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
529
I believe I picked up this notion in the Nourishing Traditions book several years back when I was in my in between paleo/low carb/zero carb phase and "peating." Anyway, the point was that gelatin somehow "tricks (don't know if that's the right word)" the body into thinking it is getting a larger amount of protein than it really is. I've never heard Peat though extol that virtue of gelatin, as I recall. So, is it bunk? Or, could you get along well with less than 80 g of protein if you were consuming a significant amount of gelatin as your main or sole primary protein source?
 

ilovewriting

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
25
Dean said:
post 103564 I believe I picked up this notion in the Nourishing Traditions book several years back when I was in my in between paleo/low carb/zero carb phase and "peating." Anyway, the point was that gelatin somehow "tricks (don't know if that's the right word)" the body into thinking it is getting a larger amount of protein than it really is. I've never heard Peat though extol that virtue of gelatin, as I recall. So, is it bunk? Or, could you get along well with less than 80 g of protein if you were consuming a significant amount of gelatin as your main or sole primary protein source?
I posted studies claiming that
ilovewriting said:
post 103238 collagen hydrolysate appears to be almost completely and rapidly utilized
though "perhaps half" of studies are believed to be a fraud. See http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/ ... 0696-1.pdf

So (applying my 2c), the body may, in fact, be getting a greater amount of protein from collagen hydrolysate, because the protein is being utilized.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but gelatin (I think) is hydrolyzed to make collagen hydrolysate, and perhaps gelatin can also be utilized better than other sources, if not quite as well as collagen hydrolysate.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
529
yeah, the collagen hydrolysate was all the rage in this forum a year or more back. Don't hear as much about it these days. I'm wondering if those who were using it extensively hit roadblocks, tired of it, or still use it extensively, but have moved on to other discussion topics.

It's interesting...with the momentum in the forum decidedly moving in the direction of low fat, if not very low fat, it would seem to be a perfect fit; yet, most seem to be using low fat milk or casein powder instead, or so it seems
 

ilovewriting

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
25
Dean said:
yeah, the collagen hydrolysate was all the rage in this forum a year or more back. Don't hear as much about it these days. I'm wondering if those who were using it extensively hit roadblocks, tired of it, or still use it extensively, but have moved on to other discussion topics.

It's interesting...with the momentum in the forum decidedly moving in the direction of low fat, if not very low fat, it would seem to be a perfect fit; yet, most seem to be using low fat milk or casein powder instead, or so it seems
I haven't been here long, but I've noticed I think one prolific poster, Georgi? Consistent with his member name, haidut (meaning "rebel"), Georgi (admirably) likes to do things his own way, even if Ray Peat might not always agree. :)

I do see where Ray Peat's written about gelatin here:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

I think Ray Peat has also said he uses quite a bit of gelatin himself, and has suggested collagen hydrolysate in email to those who may not digest gelatin very well, while he seems to warn against using amino acids as food (as Georgi seems to recommend):
Ray Peat said:
Although pure glycine has its place as a useful and remarkably safe drug, it shouldn't be thought of as a food, because manufactured products are always likely to contain peculiar contaminants.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,825
Location
USA
ilovewriting said:
post 103597 I haven't been here long, but I've noticed I think one prolific poster, Georgi? Consistent with his member name, haidut (meaning "rebel"), Georgi (admirably) likes to do things his own way, even if Ray Peat might not always agree.
Well thats funny, "visionofstrength" aka "teenpeater" aka "VoS". You have been here quite a while. :roll:
 
Last edited:

Dean

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
529
Haidut does seem to go his own way, to an extent, in terms of food. I presume that's why he doesn't spend any time on here playing diet police. I asked him recently why he wasn't more vocal about his liberal (in Peat terms) diet and he didn't seem to have much interest in answering it. Perhaps it's a liability thing or I surmised that perhaps his opinion is that once you cross a certain threshold into good health, micros, ratios, balancing meat with gelatin, etc don't matter, yet below the threshold they are critical. Maybe he will be enticed to drop in and illuminate?

Anyway, Kempner's rice and fruit diet would seem to challenge the notion that micros matter for people below the threshold of good health.

edit: for clarification, I don't mean the above to be some thinly veiled, backhanded criticism, or baiting, of Haidut. I respect and appreciate his contributions (and his discretion on when and where he contributes) to the forum and use more than one of his supplements on a daily basis.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Protein Needs With Gelatin And Rice - Except For Tryptophan Protein 5
vulture Cheap Recipe For Gelatin, Protein And Calcium Recipes 6
Amazoniac Gelatin Can Exarcerbate A Protein Insufficiency Gelatin 33
K How much of the 100 gram protein should be gelatin ? Gelatin 6
J Drowsiness/Crashing after taking Gelatin at night Diet 7
J Arginine and Glutaime in Gelatin, is it good or bad for cancer Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 9
GreekDemiGod Haribo gummies as a Gelatin source? Diet 6
R Gelatin vs pork crackle for glycine? Amino Acids 6
R Low-dose copper with glycine and proline or gelatin for collagen? Ask For Help or Advice 2
G IBS-D Cured With Gelatin? Digestion, Gut Flora 3
G Premature Ejaculation Cured With Gelatin? Male Issues 3
G Beef Gelatin Taste Is Disgusting Gelatin 1
L Reliable Gelatin Powders Digestion 6
lyfe Gelatin Creme Brulee - FINALLY A Gelatin Recipe I LOVE To Eat Recipes 13
A Gelatin/Glycine In Ground Beef Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 7
lyfe Does Gelatin Need To Set Before Consumed? Gelatin 8
orewashin Why Would Gelatin Specifically Cause Me To Feel "wired"? Diet 4
wealthofwisdom Is Collagen As Good As Gelatin? Diet 15
wealthofwisdom Collagen Vs Gelatin? Diet 2
James Myatt Canned Gelatin Ask For Help or Advice 6
M Do You Feel A Difference From Taking Glycine Or Gelatin Or Aspirin? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Pieter Stress, Coffee, Wellbutrin, Sleep And Gelatin Blood Sugar 2
Hgreen56 Why Are Gelatin And Glycine Recommended If Glycine Increases Serotonin Levels? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 10
Rosiemax14 Gelatin Danny Roddy 0
James Myatt Hydrolised Collagen/gelatin Allergic Response Ask For Help or Advice 6
D Anyone NOT Do Well While Taking Gelatin - What Reactins/Symptoms? Symptoms, Causes 20
B Nothing But 1% Milk, Juices, Salt, And Gelatin? Ask For Help or Advice 32
berk Is This A Good Gelatin Supplement? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
D Gelatin's "Recommended Dosages" Way, Way Too High And Gelatin 42
D Vitamin C As Catalyst For Gelatin Necessary? Gelatin 1
_lppaiva Glycine As A Temporary Alternative To Gelatin, Since No Good Brands Are Available? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 29
ecstatichamster Gelatin Smelled Like A Meat Rendering Plant - Threw It Away Gelatin 19
Hans Collagen/gelatin Aids In Muscle Growth And Fat Loss Blogs 7
olive Gelatin Enhances Non-gene Iron Uptake, Glycine Does Not Scientific Studies 3
L How Infrequently Can You Eat Gelatin? Gelatin 0
W Link To Ray Peat Gelatin And Orange Juice Recipe? Gelatin 3
S Does Gelatin HAVE To Be In Hot Water/heat? Gelatin 4
W Best Brand Gelatin 2019? Gelatin 23
johnwester130 A Must Read Article On Gelatin Gelatin 2
Cirion Peat Is Right About Amino Acids / Gelatin Gelatin 61
C My Gelatin Testimonial So Far Gelatin 4
johnwester130 Don't Forget To Supplement Tryptophan If You Take Gelatin Gelatin 3
johnwester130 Does Anyone Know Which Hormones Are In Gelatin Gelatin 4
johnwester130 Has This Study About Gelatin And Hair Been Posted Before ? Hair & Nails 2
Inaut Gelatin+Vitamin C Shots Gelatin 6
J Gelatin Caused Nightmares And Poor Sleep? Gelatin 1
G Gelatin Gives Me A Headache Diet 8
K Collagen Or Gelatin Ask For Help or Advice 5
T Selling Great Lakes Bovine Gelatin Gelatin 11
cyclops Glycine Vs Powdered Gelatin Diet 45

Similar threads

Top