Gastritis

stsfut

Not blaming the Peat diet/supplements but I have developed a bad case of gastritis a few months after starting. OJ, lots of dairy, aspirin, lots of coffee. I also had two rounds of ABX in the last 3 months. I am looking for suggestions to clear this up without using a PPI (long history of using them, will never again). I’m thinking maybe probiotics? I noticed Pepto-Bismol helped, unsurprisingly. I’m thinking no alcohol, coffee and a much milder diet until this clears? Primarily I am looking for responses from others who cleared up their gastritis rather quickly :)

biggirlkisss

I use to have painful stomach burning which is stomach inflammation that took a year to go down. I was recommended cabbage to help. I assume also some types of teas like peppermint may help. Sunlight helps a lot too on the stomach. I found.

Dave Clark

One of the best gastritis remedies is the use of D-limonene orally. There is an organic food grade liquid version called Trinity NutraLab, and you can find other (non-organic) formulas in gel caps on the internet (i.e. Swanson, Life Extension, etc.). Just search d-limonene and indigestion, gastritis, etc., and you will find the info you need. Life Extension has a product and info on their site on d-limonene. Interestingly, years ago my wife bought LEF's CoQ10/d-limonene (we knew nothing about d-limonene, thought it was put with CoQ19 for better absorption) and noticed her very bad case of heartburn had disappeared using the formula. I then saw that they had a digestion specific formula of d-limonene in their list, and then realized why she had gotten relief. Most recommendations are to do a 20 day treatment of one capsule every other day. It works, in fact, I just ordered a bottle of the Trinity NutraLab, mostly because d-limonene is extracted from citrus peels, and citrus is a highly sprayed crop regarding pesticides, and their product is organic.

G Forrest

I've had gastritis issues in the past couple years. I tried eliminating a lot of what I thought were problem foods: coffee, oj, dairy - these were sometimes patches and soothed things a bit, but the symptoms always seemed to come back. What I've found to really turn things around was very simple: EAT. Get enough calories to get your metabolism running well, which in turn improves temps, pulse, and thyroid, which gets your system running efficiently. Danny Roddy had a good point in one of his recent videos, saying he has a lot of people contacting him adopting Peaty foods: milk, oj, etc., but then end up only consuming like 900 calories a day. It's very easy become calorie restrictive. So I always suggest making sure you get a good 2500+ calories a day. Also equally important: eliminate as much stress as possible during the day: get adequate sleep, stay warm, get out into the sun, take relaxing epsom salt baths at night.

As far as foods, oj could be an issue if it's store bought, so I've found simply switching to fresh squeezed sweet oj straining the pulp seemed to help things (especially now when oranges are in season). Definitely agree on alcohol though - eliminating it altogether is very important. For milk, maybe just having smaller quantities until your system adjusts to it, or switching to more cheese even some Greek yogurt with honey or some cottage cheese.

I've also had good results with bone broths and with mixing Great Lakes collagen in with juice: both good sources of glycine. This was my experience anyway, hope it helps.

Last edited:

Xisca

I have developped this also while going high fruit and high cheese, though all fresh and natural and organic.

I agree with d/limonen, i use my own organic lemon as tea, just instinct! I also use a lot of bitter greens and eat proteins with raw veggies, and it is getting better.

I had to turn to betaine hcl, then noticed I was better off vinegar, then removed all fruits except lemon with olive oil for liver, as my gall bladder had become sensitive. (I had no result before with 3 livers flushes 5 years ago, so this is a new problem).

theLaw

I've had gastritis issues in the past couple years. I tried eliminating a lot of what I thought were problem foods: coffee, oj, dairy - these were sometimes patches and soothed things a bit, but the symptoms always seemed to come back. What I've found to really turn things around was very simple: EAT. Get enough calories to get your metabolism running well, which in turn improves temps, pulse, and thyroid, which gets your system running efficiently. Danny Roddy had a good point in one of his recent videos, saying he has a lot of people contacting him adopting Peaty foods: milk, oj, etc., but then end up only consuming like 900 calories a day. It's very easy become calorie restrictive. So I always suggest making sure you get a good 2500+ calories a day. Also equally important: eliminate as much stress as possible during the day: get adequate sleep, stay warm, get out into the sun, take relaxing epsom salt baths at night.

+1

I had a bunch of nasty digestive issues that all cleared up once I started eating over 3000 calories per day including a significant amount of sat fat. This is after trying about a dozen other Peaty sups discussed here.

Also, the cooked Potato juice (or a full-range of BCAAs) really helped, but the extra calories were needed to completely abolish it.

Finally, Peat suggests zero starch for those with serious digestive issues.

OP
S

stsfut

Thank you everyone for your help!! I spoke with my GI friend (of a friend) and told them that I was pretty sure that I had gastritis. I mentioned that I was having constant diarrhea also to go along with the stomach burning and nausea I was having right after eating. They said that it might actually be the stomach flu (gastroenteritis). I would rather it be that, but I am not convinced with this burning I am having...it has been going on since last Thursday night...

theLaw

Thank you everyone for your help!! I spoke with my GI friend (of a friend) and told them that I was pretty sure that I had gastritis. I mentioned that I was having constant diarrhea also to go along with the stomach burning and nausea I was having right after eating. They said that it might actually be the stomach flu (gastroenteritis). I would rather it be that, but I am not convinced with this burning I am having...it has been going on since last Thursday night...

Do carrots help with the nausea?

OP
S

stsfut

Do carrots help with the nausea?
I just ate carrots and coconut oil so that I could answer you...no, no nausea after eating that. My nausea hasn’t been ongoing though, just after eating/drinking most things.

theLaw

I just ate carrots and coconut oil so that I could answer you...no, no nausea after eating that. My nausea hasn’t been ongoing though, just after eating/drinking most things.

If it's endotoxin related, then any antibiotic substance would alleviate the nausea including carrots.

Starch is usually one of the worst foods for any digestive issues.

Nighteyes

I would try turmeric tea - it really soothes any kind of stomach inflammation and has really helped me with gallbladder problems as well.

I just dissolve 1/4 teaspoon or maybe a little less in boiling water and drink it as tea. For an even better effect I sometimes add Horsetail. Also useful if you have eaten too much.

Warm liquid meal is another option as is white rice. I often cook basmati rice in ox tail broth and it makes for a very non-acidic meal so to speak. No pain and no reflux.

Hope you feel better soon. Above suggestions are probably not cures but helpful to support healing. Stress-free environment is paramount

Dave Clark

When i had my original bout of gastritis, it turned out to be some candida issue in my gut. I changed my diet, took a bunch of anti-fungals, increased my pro-biotics, etc., etc., and the problem resolved itself. I didn't, and most people don't think fungal when they have gastritis, but it can be caused by that, and should be considered when trying to diagnose your problem. Never the less, I am grateful that I learned about all the good things that help gastritis, such as d-limonene, DGL licorice, mastic gum, zinc-carnosine, slippery elm, marshmallow root, etc., they come in handy when I have a rare bout of it.

G Forrest

A couple of other homeopathic options if you are looking for some relief (keep in mind as I said above you're best bet first is fixing the root cause: getting enough calories and rest if these are issues). But you could try these to ease symptons: fresh aloe vera (not the bottled kind) - scrape out the flesh and liquid mix with a fruit juice - Peat has written positively about aloe vera; slippery elm, which coats the stomach; or even DGL licorice tablets, though I've read some on here not recommending this because of the estrogenic qualities, but I've had some good results with it.

If it's stomach flu: activated charcoal and clove powder/oil.

Peata

During the worst bouts of gastritis, I took carafate, pepto, some drug that was supposed to relax the intestines, and even omeprezole, though I didn't take it long term. I was just really desperate.

Others have mentioned eating helps, and I feel it did. Part of the reason I was having trouble losing weight, I had to eat so often, and certain foods helped more than others.

But for the last month or so, I've been able to reduce the calories and do fine without the bad symptoms. If I do start feeling dizzy, I take Dramamine. If diarrhea flares, I use psyllium and pepto.

Lurker

Famotidine (Pepcid) is an H2 antihistamine indicated for gastritis, heartburn, etc. It will clear out h. pylori, increase endothelial turnover (opposite of aspirin) and help with liver glycogen. It seems to a much better drug option compared with PPIs which can royally screw you up. The only downside is the lower stomach acid which seems to be the main selling point but can interfere with digestion. Take it an hour or two past your last meal of the day to mitigate to lower acid since you won’t need it again until breakfast.

And activated charcoal works very well for diarrhea as well as general intestinal and mental health (as if there is a difference).