Garrett Smith: Iron Overload, Calcium Going Awry, And Mineral Balancing

InChristAlone

Of Vitamin C, yes - and I think this is warranted. Not of anything else. Just seen that this has been hotly contested in another thread though!
Haha yes! C was super helpful for me as a slow oxidizer.

InChristAlone

Do you believe in the fast/slow oxidizer theory? Seems a bit speculative to me...
Yes. It would explain why some people heal on fruitarian diets and others get sicker. I still think even slow oxidizers need carbs but maybe not so much sugar. I was adding sugar to everything and not getting any better. I still love sugar. And it's a downfall as I love to eat sugar food for breakfast but probably need more protein. Way back when I did metabolic typing a practitioner Michael McEvoy said I was a fast oxidizer and needed more protein and fats to slow me down, I think he had the diet recommendations backwards. I was slowing down for sure all the way to hypothyroidism! When I started the Peat diet I had low low temps. Now temps and pulse are great they seem to be reset I just depleted my body though. And I think my oxidation is a reflection of my body wanting to slow down after using coffee thyroid, milk, and loads and loads of refined sugar. I feel more balanced off milk, coke, coffee, thyroid.

Jsaute21

Yes. It would explain why some people heal on fruitarian diets and others get sicker. I still think even slow oxidizers need carbs but maybe not so much sugar. I was adding sugar to everything and not getting any better. I still love sugar. And it's a downfall as I love to eat sugar food for breakfast but probably need more protein. Way back when I did metabolic typing a practitioner Michael McEvoy said I was a fast oxidizer and needed more protein and fats to slow me down, I think he had the diet recommendations backwards. I was slowing down for sure all the way to hypothyroidism! When I started the Peat diet I had low low temps. Now temps and pulse are great they seem to be reset I just depleted my body though. And I think my oxidation is a reflection of my body wanting to slow down after using coffee thyroid, milk, and loads and loads of refined sugar. I feel more balanced off milk, coke, coffee, thyroid.
Yeah this post kind of scares me because like you i come from a relatively low carb high protein diet. A diet in which for a while i felt damn good on. I am lean and tall naturally. Then i started eating a lot of nuts like everyone else in the world, drank a lot due to social life, and started to feel much worse than i had. I had low pulse & temps i discovered. Ever since abiding by Peat's work, b vitamins, coke, thyroid, coffee like you mention, i look good/lean but i am a bit edgy and liver glycogen is not ideal. I am stuck between the thoughts of "is this part of the healing process?" and "I don't know if this diet is in fact making me much healthier." It is a bit frustrating and confusing. I think i would fall under the umbrella of a fast oxidizer, as i feel awful on black coffee on an empty stomach. I have always been skinny/lean, don't store fat easily, etc.

InChristAlone

Yeah this post kind of scares me because like you i come from a relatively low carb high protein diet. A diet in which for a while i felt damn good on. I am lean and tall naturally. Then i started eating a lot of nuts like everyone else in the world, drank a lot due to social life, and started to feel much worse than i had. I had low pulse & temps i discovered. Ever since abiding by Peat's work, b vitamins, coke, thyroid, coffee like you mention, i look good/lean but i am a bit edgy and liver glycogen is not ideal. I am stuck between the thoughts of "is this part of the healing process?" and "I don't know if this diet is in fact making me much healthier." It is a bit frustrating and confusing. I think i would fall under the umbrella of a fast oxidizer, as i feel awful on black coffee on an empty stomach. I have always been skinny/lean, don't store fat easily, etc.
I think a hair test would give you the easiest answer. I was skinny as well. Now I carry some fat after slowing down. But I also use cyproheptadine to keep stress hormones lower. I'm trying to get off it. It isn't easy. I find a lot of people doing the coffee and thyroid need drugs and more support on top of it because it's pushing the body in ways it doesn't want to be pushed. That is why I like nutritional balancing. I need another hair test. I could figure more out if I did. No idea where I am at now.

LUH 3417

when i did hair tests i switched from fast oxidizer to slow oxidizer in a few months according to the test results. it had to do with the Na/K/Ca ratios. i don't much about this but from my experience you can definitely switch depending on the ratio of sugar/fat/protein in your diet. i've read that all children are fast oxidizers, and then from puberty on people either maintain or switch to low oxidizers. but from what my body went through i feel like i am switching back and forth. i've had periods of time when i was normal weight but sluggish, and then periods of being extremely lean and full of energy.

LUH 3417

I think a hair test would give you the easiest answer. I was skinny as well. Now I carry some fat after slowing down. But I also use cyproheptadine to keep stress hormones lower. I'm trying to get off it. It isn't easy. I find a lot of people doing the coffee and thyroid need drugs and more support on top of it because it's pushing the body in ways it doesn't want to be pushed. That is why I like nutritional balancing. I need another hair test. I could figure more out if I did. No idea where I am at now.
hey are you working with someone to do the hair tests and nutritional counseling or are you doing research on your own to be able to read the results?

LUH 3417

also the person i worked with said that some people who be "false fast oxidizers" especially if they had a lot of heavy metals. the idea was that once the metals started moving out of the tissue and being expelled, your nutritional needs would change and so would your oxidation rate

InChristAlone

hey are you working with someone to do the hair tests and nutritional counseling or are you doing research on your own to be able to read the results?
I've done a lot of studying over the yrs. My first test came with an interpretation but I didn't have answers back then. I just kept trudging along with Peat stuff. Then I crashed again and was forced to change. Now that my life is more stable I want to do more.

hmac

Do you believe in the fast/slow oxidizer theory? Seems a bit speculative to me...
Personally, I don't know how helpful it really is and I think it's an unnecessary convolution of the results. The oxidation rate is determined by the ratio of Ca:K and Na:Mg, so optimising the levels (which determine the ratios) of those minerals solves the problem of the oxidation rate, which is just an abstraction anyway. This whole idea is really based on several doctor's speculations about the biological significance of the result of this mathematical calculation. 'Nutritional Balancing' is the application of Dr. Wilson's interpretation of a hair mineral test, with all it's associated beliefs and conjectures. I'm operating according to a system that Dr. Garrett Smith developed, which is really quite different.

That being said, if people have found that focussing on eating a particular way according to their oxidation rate has helped them, then that is fantastic and i'm happy for them. I just don't see the need for it to be that complicated.

InChristAlone

Personally, I don't know how helpful it really is and I think it's an unnecessary convolution of the results. The oxidation rate is determined by the ratio of Ca:K and Na:Mg, so optimising the levels (which determine the ratios) of those minerals solves the problem of the oxidation rate, which is just an abstraction anyway. This whole idea is really based on several doctor's speculations about the biological significance of the result of this mathematical calculation. 'Nutritional Balancing' is the application of Dr. Wilson's interpretation of a hair mineral test, with all it's associated beliefs and conjectures. I'm operating according to a system that Dr. Garrett Smith developed, which is really quite different.

That being said, if people have found that focussing on eating a particular way according to their oxidation rate has helped them, then that is fantastic and i'm happy for them. I just don't see the need for it to be that complicated.
I agree it doesn't need to be that complicated. Wilson hates fruit and I've seen my potassium get much better from bananas, so don't necessarily need 8 cups of vegetables to get potassium. Though I do need more mag. And yeah the nutritional balancing people under Wilson are nuts. They get worse and call it detox.

LUH 3417

I agree it doesn't need to be that complicated. Wilson hates fruit and I've seen my potassium get much better from bananas, so don't necessarily need 8 cups of vegetables to get potassium. Though I do need more mag. And yeah the nutritional balancing people under Wilson are nuts. They get worse and call it detox.
haha :). i think it was @Tarmander who likened them to religious zealots obsessed with purification and self inflicted punishment through food choices. i once emailed dr. wilson and he ended the email with "remember, we love you!"...i thought it was an odd and manipulatory tactic. who is this almighty we?

Tarmander

haha :). i think it was @Tarmander who likened them to religious zealots obsessed with purification and self inflicted punishment through food choices. i once emailed dr. wilson and he ended the email with "remember, we love you!"...i thought it was an odd and manipulatory tactic. who is this almighty we?

Well if he doesn’t remind you, how would you be able to tell from his actions ;).

InChristAlone

Yeah I will never punishment myself with food. Religious zealots are like the plague to me.

hmac

also the person i worked with said that some people who be "false fast oxidizers" especially if they had a lot of heavy metals. the idea was that once the metals started moving out of the tissue and being expelled, your nutritional needs would change and so would your oxidation rate
If you've
Yeh. If you read through his work you'll see that there are some very strong undertones clearly influenced by negative interpretations of religion. He's very anti-pleasure, thus it is necessary for him to hate sweetness. There are also very sexist undertones.

Jsaute21

Yeah, this is extremely well said. I like the principles of the different mineral ratios as well. We know magnesium and potassium are important. I will also add that Peat constantly talks about how important these minerals are, so these folks who act as if this concept is revolutionary is a bit silly. Dr Wilson's diet also seems extremely restrictive. Eating only chicken breast and vegetables is not healthy or balanced what so ever.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals