Garrett Smith: Iron Overload, Calcium Going Awry, And Mineral Balancing

Tarmander

He might have a bit of tunnel vision on iron. He also doesn't like calcium much.

I found this study on his page:

https://secure.jbs.elsevierhealth.c...5085(08)01696-X/abstract&rc=0&code=ygast-site

This is a good explanation of why the iron from liver is really not much of a problem...the vitamin A makes sure it "goes in the right place."

Also interesting that I have dealt with calcium much better since increasing my liver and egg yolk intake. This could be why.

Jennifer

The guy has some interesting posts, worth checking them out:
Dr. Garrett Smith
Oh, I remember Garrett from my RBTI days. He was a member of Matt Stone's (and Pippa's) RBTI Facebook group when I was a member. He was a host on the 180 Degree Health podcast with Matt. If you're interested, you can listen to his podcasts here:

Latest Episodes - 180 Radio

hmac

Haven't posted here for a long while but used to hang around, mostly behind the scenes, a few years ago. Just wanted to let you guys know that i'm trained in HTMA (hair tissue mineral analysis) by Dr. Garrett Smith in case anyone's interested in chatting to me about it. Apologies if i'm breaking any forum rules by doing this - not at all my intention to step on toes, just wanted to let you guys know seeing as you're expressing interesting in the topic.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Haven't posted here for a long while but used to hang around, mostly behind the scenes, a few years ago. Just wanted to let you guys know that i'm trained in HTMA (hair tissue mineral analysis) by Dr. Garrett Smith in case anyone's interested in chatting to me about it. Apologies if i'm breaking any forum rules by doing this - not at all my intention to step on toes, just wanted to let you guys know seeing as you're expressing interesting in the topic.
Do you have a blog or a website?

dookie

Can you give the SparkNotes or a few bullet points of his main ideas?

From what I can tell from his gut video, he mainly thinks people are overloaded with iron, copper, calcium (and some other toxic metals, like cobalt), and he suggests more magnesium, potassium, sodium. Is this about right?

By the way, I don't think Peat is too big of a fan of hair mineral analysis

InChristAlone

Hey you do know him! He recommends mega dosing.... :p::p:

hmac

Can you give the SparkNotes or a few bullet points of his main ideas?

From what I can tell from his gut video, he mainly thinks people are overloaded with iron, copper, calcium (and some other toxic metals, like cobalt), and he suggests more magnesium, potassium, sodium. Is this about right?

By the way, I don't think Peat is too big of a fan of hair mineral analysis
It's not really something that you can give a spark notes on because everyone is different, that's why you do the hair test. Vitamin and mineral supplements will tend to agonise some minerals and antagonise others, therefore the use of the same supplement can be beneficial for one person and detrimental for another. Generally speaking though - 85% of people tend to be overloaded with Calcium and Iron (probably, in the case of iron, as the hair test value isn't reliable). Almost everyone is also low in Magnesium, Potassium and Boron. Zinc can often be deficient. Cobalt can often be excessive, particularly for British people (according to what i've seen). Mercury tends to be high in those who eat fish regularly. People can have excesses of any mineral or heavy metal, and and excess is generally problematic, but copper overload has been obsessed over by others doing Hair Analysis.

In terms of whether Dr. Peat likes hair analysis, I don't know, but i'll take your word for it. The issue with people commenting on hair analysis is in general is that the vast, vast majority of what is written on the internet about "mineral analysis" is derivative of the work of Dr. Lawrence Wilson. Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA) is a test for mineral levels in the hair. That is all it is - a test. This makes it a tool, and a tool's usefulness varies greatly according to the skill of the hands wielding it. In my opinion, Dr. Lawrence Wilson's work is almost completely insane. However, because of the prevalence and pervasion of his ideas, his treatment approach has been conflated with the general meaning of HTMA. This is frustrating as his approach deserves the skepticism, not the test itself. There are floors with the test - as with anything, but as long as you're aware of them then it is still useful. In my opinion, it is still the only practical way of gaining an insight into micronutrient status, allowing biological individuality to be addressed, and that makes it very useful - particularly if the results are interpreted rationally as, I believe, Dr. Smith's approach is.

nikotrope

Hey @hmac, I would love to hear more from you. I recently did an HTMA – though I didn't find at the time a way to use ARL or TEI in my country so it is one from Doctor's Data – and I would like to know more about Smith's ideas for my case. I have high heavy metals (arsenic, mercury, and especially thallium), and very low iron, copper, and cobalt (probably lots of bio-unavailable iron and copper in my body though). I have excess sodium and potassium (if those are washed away, then it might be really high on an unwashed test), while magnesium is deficient and calcium is a bit on the low end for the normal range (even with an unwashed test, I don't think I would be calcium overloaded).

I have read Dr. Wilson's articles and I am indeed skeptical of what he is saying but I don't really know what to do right now. Nothing I do seems to really reduce my exhaustion or lack of focus. Maybe I can DM you my results?

hmac

I mean, angels, lords, princes/fairies, or.. members.
Thanks for the post above, didn't know that boron was a common deficiency.
I enjoy talking about it! Boron is an interesting one because it acts quite like vitamin D and has a positive effect on calcium and magnesium retention.

hmac

Hey @hmac, I would love to hear more from you. I recently did an HTMA – though I didn't find at the time a way to use ARL or TEI in my country so it is one from Doctor's Data – and I would like to know more about Smith's ideas for my case. I have high heavy metals (arsenic, mercury, and especially thallium), and very low iron, copper, and cobalt (probably lots of bio-unavailable iron and copper in my body though). I have excess sodium and potassium (if those are washed away, then it might be really high on an unwashed test), while magnesium is deficient and calcium is a bit on the low end for the normal range (even with an unwashed test, I don't think I would be calcium overloaded).

I have read Dr. Wilson's articles and I am indeed skeptical of what he is saying but I don't really know what to do right now. Nothing I do seems to really reduce my exhaustion or lack of focus. Maybe I can DM you my results?
Yeh sure. Email them to me at [email protected] - I should mention though that I use trace elements as doctors data use solvents to wash the hair which can affect the sodium and potassium values. Not the end of the world though.

hmac

Yeh sure. Email them to me at [email protected] - I should mention though that I use trace elements as doctors data use solvents to wash the hair which can affect the sodium and potassium values. Not the end of the world though.
Just seen you'd already commented on the washing - any info is better than no, so don't worry