Game Meats

Dutchie

As Peat doesn't recommend eating chicken/pork bc of PUFAS/Serotonin content?

I was wondering,what about game meats such as Deer/Elk,Wild Boar,Phaesent/guinea fowl/wild duck, horse etc.? Any clarifications on that?
Also I find it confusing that it is said to not eat chicken(much,but what is called much?) yet I read about people making broth from chickenfeet bc of the gelatin....isn't that a bit backwards?

sctb

Dutchie said:

I was wondering,what about game meats such as Deer/Elk,Wild Boar,Phaesent/guinea fowl/wild duck, horse etc.? Any clarifications on that?
Also I find it confusing that it is said to not eat chicken(much,but what is called much?) yet I read about people making broth from chickenfeet bc of the gelatin....isn't that a bit backwards?

I don't know about game, Dutchie, but you can easily remove just about
all of the fat from broth by skimming once it has cooled. No more PUFAs!

- Scott

Asimov

To answer your question about game meats, they're exceedingly lean to start with and what fats they do have will be largely devoid of PUFA. Ruminants eating grass tend to convert all fat into saturated fat, as do most mammals eating their natural diets.

I had a bison steak (not wild, but pretty lean and gamey) cooked in butter the other day. Delicious.

OP
D

Dutchie

sctb said:
Dutchie said:

I don't know about game, Dutchie, but you can easily remove just about
all of the fat from broth by skimming once it has cooled. No more PUFAs!

- Scott

Thanx,I was wondering though....tried to make broth from some cut of lamb a while ago and did indeed skim of this white stuff(I presume fat) but after I let it cool and put in fridge,it really came out like this massive jelly-pudding which looks to me like there's still lots of fat in it? I once actually ate some marrow and got so horribly sick/nauseated by it. I also can't seem to get the broth appetizing

OP
D

Dutchie

Asimov said:
To answer your question about game meats, they're exceedingly lean to start with and what fats they do have will be largely devoid of PUFA. Ruminants eating grass tend to convert all fat into saturated fat, as do most mammals eating their natural diets.

I had a bison steak (not wild, but pretty lean and gamey) cooked in butter the other day. Delicious.

Thanx, I actually more was wondering about the fowl? as chicken is a winged animal too and fowl doesn't eat grass?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Chickens eat a ton of grass. I think I have seen a number to where its something in the line of 40% of their diet will be grass if they are left to roam. My girls love grass and are always chowing down on it.

pboy

Game meat is about nutritionally similar to pork or fowl (with probably a bit more trace microminerals because its eating wild plants), and a has a similar fat content by volume...but the amount of PUFA is only about 20-25% the amount of poultry/pork and in a more neutral ratio of 3/6 (not that that aspect of it particularly matters).

(Chicken has about 1.4g / 100g serving PUFA and game meat is about 0.33g / 100g)

For what its worth, I ate deer in the past that my friend and his dad had hunted on their land...and it was some of the best meat I'd ever had. It was just ground, grilled. regular burger meat...not a lean or special cut or anything.

Theres nothing unique that you would have to get from venison that you couldn't get from another source...but I'd say if you enjoy meat / going to eat muscle meat game meat might be one of the best choices

(Info on venison: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lam ... cts/4812/2)

Isadora

We ate deer and boar almost exclusively since November or so, when the hunting season was on in Alsace. We are very lucky that way -- there is a great butcher, Christophe Kistner, in one of the equivalents of, I dunno, Giant or more likely KMart (it's called Cora, they sell everything) in our neck of the woods...

http://www.lalsace.fr/actualite/2011/12 ... ros-gibier

And it wasn't even expensive. Excellent stuff, indeed, and they sold the parts with bones, too, for stews...

Asimov

Charlie is right, chickens are pretty opportunistic. They will also eat seeds and, unlike humans, digest them quite effectively. Next time someone gives you a bag of almonds for as a present, feed them to the chickens and eat them instead :)

Truthfully most land animals eating their natural diets will preferentially convert any fats into saturated fatty acids. The more healthy/wild/natural life they live, the more saturated their fatty acid profile will be. And true wild meats will be be relatively lean all year long. Cooking them up with butter will more than override any PUFA ingestion you may experience.

jaa

I would assume so. It's pretty lean but still pretty good. I just ran out of a 3 months supply of ground moose :(.

According to Mat Lalonde, in his AHS12 video, carbiou meat is the most nutrient dense of the game meats. Anyone have that before?

sctb

Dutchie said:
Thanx,I was wondering though....tried to make broth from some cut of lamb a while ago and did indeed skim of this white stuff(I presume fat) but after I let it cool and put in fridge,it really came out like this massive jelly-pudding which looks to me like there's still lots of fat in it? I once actually ate some marrow and got so horribly sick/nauseated by it. I also can't seem to get the broth appetizing

That's the gelatin! Broth is definitely not an emulsion, so if you've skimmed
the top of the cooled broth, there are almost zero fat left. But if you can't
stand the broth, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

- Scott

G

gummybear

jaa said:
I would assume so. It's pretty lean but still pretty good. I just ran out of a 3 months supply of ground moose :(.

According to Mat Lalonde, in his AHS12 video, carbiou meat is the most nutrient dense of the game meats. Anyone have that before?

Ok, that is good. Carbiou, you mean caribou? Reindeer? Yeah i've had that alot.