Gabapentin Restores Limb Function

Mauritio

NathanK

The well known drug Gabapentin has been shown to improve motor skills twice as much as a placebo after spinal cord injury in mice.

A common drug could help restore limb function after spinal cord injury: In mouse study, nerve pain drug gabapentin promotes regeneration of neural circuits
This is what my doctor prescribed me for my restless legs at night. I took it once and didn't have a great reaction. I recall when I looked into it, I wasn't thrilled with how it worked metabolically.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

This is what my doctor prescribed me for my restless legs at night. I took it once and didn't have a great reaction. I recall when I looked into it, I wasn't thrilled with how it worked metabolically.
Do you recall why you didn't like its effects? I have it on my list of things to try . Dont remember why though . Probably for sleep.

Kunstruct

Why hasn't the doctor prescribed the typical Dopamine agonist but instead something that works on GABA?

NathanK

Why hasn't the doctor prescribed the typical Dopamine agonist but instead something that works on GABA?
Typically they start with magnesium and then go down the list. Probably because of the concern for DAWS that they begin medication with gabapentin. After I told him my reaction, he then gave me a script for ropinerole. By then, I decided just to give up on him and just try to fix it by other means non pharmacologically.

Ironically, was watching the Avicii documentary on Netflix this week and they said one of the drugs in his system, among many, when he died was gabapentin.
Do you recall why you didn't like its effects? I have it on my list of things to try . Dont remember why though . Probably for sleep.
I don't. I think it gave me anxiety (which isn't common with me). I may have had an allergic reaction to it. This was 3 or 4 years ago

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Typically they start with magnesium and then go down the list. Probably because of the concern for DAWS that they begin medication with gabapentin. After I told him my reaction, he then gave me a script for ropinerole. By then, I decided just to give up on him and just try to fix it by other means non pharmacologically.

Ironically, was watching the Avicii documentary on Netflix this week and they said one of the drugs in his system, among many, when he died was gabapentin.
I don't. I think it gave me anxiety (which isn't common with me). I may have had an allergic reaction to it. This was 3 or 4 years ago
Okay thanks . I almost ordered it today. I'll research it more before I'll consider it again thanks to your posts .