Gabapentin, Champion For Insomnia

DaveFoster

Doctors often prescribe trazodone for insomnia, as it's one of the strongest hypnotics (sleep-inducers) and lacks many of the negative effects associated with antipsychotics (as with quetiapine [Seroquel] including neuroleptic malignant syndrome and metabolic syndrome.)

Gabapentin has been shown to be superior to even trazodone for insomnia:

"Alcohol-dependent outpatients with persisting insomnia were treated with either gabapentin or trazodone. Patients were assessed at baseline and after 4 to 6 weeks on medication using the Sleep Problems Questionnaire (SPQ). Of 55 cases initially treated, 9% dropped out due to morning drowsiness. Of the remaining 50 cases, 34 were treated with gabapentin (mean dose ± SD = 888 ± 418 mg) at bedtime and 16 were treated with trazodone (105 ± 57 mg) at bedtime. Both groups improved significantly on the SPQ, however, the gabapentin group improved significantly more than the trazodone group. Controlled studies are warranted to replicate these findings."

Reference: An Open Pilot Study of Gabapentin vs. Trazodone to Treat Insomnia in Alcoholic Outpatients
Gabapentin promotes REM sleep and has some serotonergic effects (which can oppose the effects of certain stimulants taken up to bedtime, such as caffeine.) It's fairly safe but can result in severe respiratory depression when paired with other CNS depressants.

Gabapentin has one of the highest self-reported ratings of any drug used to treat insomnia, where it helps users fall asleep and stay asleep. Users report restful and restorative sleep.

Progesterone has hypnotic effects without many of the negative side effects associated with gabapentin.

Originally posted on the Foster Your Health blog: Gabapentin, Champion for Insomnia

Lucas

I have used Gapapentin in the past, 300 mg before bed. A sleep doctor prescribed it for my Restless leg syndrome. The first night I take it I will never forget: I waked after the most restful sleep of my life!! My body was so relaxed, no pain, everything was so light.

But I only feel good for the first night, and become to read about gabapentin being a not good drug to take long term. The withdrawn of getting off it is heavy; the insomnia is very bad.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I waked after the most restful sleep of my life!! My body was so relaxed, no pain, everything was so light.
I've had the exact same experience. Gabapentin itself combined with the excellent sleep quality greatly diminishes anxiety for the following day.

If you take it daily before bed, over 80% of the drug's out of your system before the next dose. If you take it every other day, over 95% of the drug's out of your system before the next dose.

Last edited:

jimisonthenet

I have used Gapapentin in the past, 300 mg before bed. A sleep doctor prescribed it for my Restless leg syndrome. The first night I take it I will never forget: I waked after the most restful sleep of my life!! My body was so relaxed, no pain, everything was so light.

But I only feel good for the first night, and become to read about gabapentin being a not good drug to take long term. The withdrawn of getting off it is heavy; the insomnia is very bad.
I've just been given Gabapentin from my doctor today for severe sciatica and periformis syndrome. ...I've just had my first 300mg and I am about to go to bed after weeks of restless, painful nights in bed. I'm looking forward to this after your comment! :D

Frankdee20

It is essentially a modified version of BCAA and has it's own receptor sites.

jimisonthenet

Do you think it'll be ok as a one-off? I've also been given some codeine and amitriptyline. I saw that you'd also posted on a codeine thread, encouraging getting to sleep without narcotics. I was planning on trying each separately before I go to bed, and finding out which is most effective for pain relief throughout the night. I won't take any of them long term though. As soon as I get well enough to put my socks on without a load of pain, the narcotics stop.

Owen B

What's a good dosage? With GABA agonists dosage is key. It's supposedly U-shaped.

Judd Crane

Anyone care to share their experience with gabapentin for insomnia? Dosage, dosage timing, withdrawal etc.?

Frankdee20

I got my hands on a lot of these pills, but never took them as I read anecdotes about discontinuation syndromes rivaling benzodiazepines.....

bogbody

I was prescribed this for insomnia several years ago. it didn’t work for me because it made me feel so good I wanted to stay up all night LOL.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Has anybody had experience with both Gabapentin and Pregabalin? Were they very much alike?, effects. side-effects..
@DaveFoster ?
I haven't tried pregabalin. However, pregabalin has a more undesirable side effect profile compared to that of gabapentin, but the former does not raise blood serotonin, whereas the latter does.

Frankdee20

Pregablin is a Gabbapentinoid, and works by inhibiting the alpha 2 subunit, and indirectly increases glutamic acid decabocylase.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals