FURNITURE & MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)

"In November, 1995, an international conference was held to study the problem of "Environmental endocrine-disrupting chemicals," and to devise strategies for increasing public awareness of the seriousness of the problem. Their "Statement from the work session" says "New evidence is especially worrisome because it underscores the exquisite sensitivity of the developing nervous system to chemical perturbations that result in functional abnormalities." "This work session was convened because of the growing concern that failure to confront the problem could have major economic and societal implications." "We are certain of the following: Endocrine-disrupting chemicals can undermine neurological and behavioral development and subsequent potential of individuals...." "Because the endocrine system is sensitive to perturbation, it is a likely target for disturbance." "Man-made endocrine-disrupting chemicals range across all continents and oceans. They are found in native populations from the Arctic to the tropics, and, because of their persistence in the body, can be passed from generation to generation." "...many endocrine-disrupting contaminants, even if less potent than the natural products, are present in living tissue at concentrations millions of times higher than the natural hormones." "The developing brain exhibits specific and often narrow windows during which exposure to endocrine disruptors can produce permanent changes in its structure and function." -Ray Peat

I have had a lot of interesting health issues in my life, but none were as scary as when I bought a new piece of furniture. It was a white retro double recliner. It wasn't long before I realized I had made a mistake buying it.

It was no more of a mistake buying that "cool" white recliner than buying the beautiful, high quality leather sofa, that gave me a horrible arm rash for many months, the white one just gave me a worse problem.

It all happened one unsuspecting night, when I had finished up the day's chores and was dressed and waiting for my girlfriend to drop my house so we could go to dinner together. I felt great all day, but now while waiting on my new white recliner, I was not so well now. By the time she arrived I told her I needed to sit for awhile first because I was really nauseous. So we sat together in the white recliner for another hour, while I felt worse and worse. Without warning I knew I wasn't going to dinner, and ran for the bathroom, vomiting over and over and over, for several hours. At the time I assumed I had come down with the flu until the next morning, needing to pee, and found that I couldn't! I was in a panic! I tried to relax, and as badly as I had to pee I just couldn't. I took a Tylenol and waited, as calmly as I could feeling like my bladder would explode, and with a LOT of relaxing and trying to calm myself and focus, I finally felt a trickle. It took a lot longer to empty my bladder with that trickle, and though I was relieved, I thought there was something terribly wrong with me.

After that first morning I was nervous everytime I needed to pee. Going out to dinner was REALLY scary, so I avoided liquids until I got home. This went on for a couple of weeks. I would have worried more, except the problem would go away during the day, when I was busy on my feet. When night came and I was back in my favorite chair, the problem came back, and with that, it didn't take long to figure out that the chemicals in that new sofa were going through my jeans and swelling me shut! One night of avoiding that recliner proved me right, and I have avoided that recliner ever since.

I have since done lots of reading about the many toxic chemicals used to treat leather, dye furniture and clothing and preserve textiles, to keep them from getting ruined on long journeys across the ocean, or to store for long periods of time until they sell. I found that a vinegar and water solution to wash my brown leather sofa removes chemicals, with each washing, but with only one washing, I know I have a lot more to go before I am sitting on it again. Recently reading about the dust coming off of old furniture having it's own hazards, was yet another surprise. What is one to do? After years of deep aches in my haunches and legs through the night I realized it was from chemicals off-gassing in me all night. I have since replaced my bed with a harmless one from PlushBeds and the pain has never returned. My experiences with these indoor health hazards has made me wonder how many people with symptoms of fibromyalgia, asthma, rashes and such, who seek medical attention to manage their situations with medications, don't realize it is their environment.

I have since replaced most of my clothing with 100% cotton, and I quit growing strange moles on my body, which I have since removed with MCT oil and baking soda. I am leary to purchase a new car because of it's toxic upholstery. My car is 15+ years old, and though my husband has tried to woo me with fancy new ones, I stick with it, keeping it in shape, knowing it has done a lot of "of-gassing" all those years. Nothing new is worth trading in my health for nowadays. Below is a pic of my horrible arm rash from my leather sofa and a pic of my beautiful toxic living room.

"There are many toxins which modify hormonal responses, activating cells and altering the immune system (including estrogens and dioxins.) When these act early in life, extremely small amounts can cause life-long changes." -Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20190317_123834.jpg
    20190317_123834.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200113_132422.jpg
    20200113_132422.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20201127-114206_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201127-114206_Gallery.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

dlind70

Unreal. I once had to buy a new sofa bed or they call it futon. This futon from California was treated with special fire retardant chemical. It feels like I had to take at least 3 months of washing in the laundromat to get rid of that chemical so I wouldn't get rashes. Big mistake or at least a learning experience. I too have an older car and it does work out I finally I get in a new car like a modern Chevy Malibu the chemicals they use on the seats are just very abhorrent. This would probably affect you if you're even younger because your immune system is still growing and adapting. I mean I had no problem grew up with liverwurst and every German food you can imagine and I'm still around. So I think on the good news the body has ways of detoxing that stuff as long as you keep your metabolism up that way the body can use the food and excrete the waste more effectively. So I hate to say it but the easiest solution is just to keep eating and to get sun and to have a fulfilling life where you have something you like to do.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Unreal. I once had to buy a new sofa bed or they call it futon. This futon from California was treated with special fire retardant chemical. It feels like I had to take at least 3 months of washing in the laundromat to get rid of that chemical so I wouldn't get rashes. Big mistake or at least a learning experience. I too have an older car and it does work out I finally I get in a new car like a modern Chevy Malibu the chemicals they use on the seats are just very abhorrent. This would probably affect you if you're even younger because your immune system is still growing and adapting. I mean I had no problem grew up with liverwurst and every German food you can imagine and I'm still around. So I think on the good news the body has ways of detoxing that stuff as long as you keep your metabolism up that way the body can use the food and excrete the waste more effectively. So I hate to say it but the easiest solution is just to keep eating and to get sun and to have a fulfilling life where you have something you like to do.

I am German too, and grew up on beef liver, liverwurst and Brewer's yeast. At 58 I am the healthiest person I know, but I had to change a lot to be where I am now. As they say "knowledge is power". I have been grateful for my sensitivities, as my body alerts me me to danger pretty quickly before things build up and it's too late, leaving me with cancer or who knows what else. You are so right dlind, to keep giving our bodies all that extra good stuff so it can do it's job protecting us.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"However, a new study to be published in the August issue of Environmental International has revealed that beloved broken-in couches may be shedding noxious dust in your home at alarming levels, according to researchers at the Silent Spring Institute.

“These are real risks,” said Kathryn Rodgers, a scientist and lead author. Studies have shown that these dangerous substances are associated with hormone disruption, immunosuppression, some cancers and, most concerningly, problems in fetal and early childhood development."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Several studies have previously linked concentrations of contaminants in dust and air to higher body burdens. Despite their documented harms, all three classes of chemicals are commonly found in furniture and building materials to make products flame, stain, and water resistant."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The effects of toxins in clothing are real: Late last year, American Airlines pilots and flight attendants got new uniforms made by Twin Hill—made with fabrics that left thousands of them with severe reactions: Employees displayed debilitating autoimmune symptoms and severe skin rashes that kept them home from work—and several flight attendants ended up in the emergency room with life-threatening illnesses. Passengers complained of bloody noses, and in one instance, a baby developed a rash after being held by a flight attendant. Literally thousands of cases were reported. Because the worst reactions are thought to be caused by combinations of chemicals (and no two fabrics have the same chemical makeup), finding treatments has been complex. Despite the huge number of claims (which continue to grow), and the fact that many employees have experienced reactions even when they are in proximity to coworkers wearing the uniforms, the company has refused to issue a full recall.

TAKE ACTION: Call American Airlines (800.433.7300) and let them know you’re concerned about the well-being of their employees, and of your own safety on a plane with unidentified toxins."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Many types of phytochemicals are mutagenic, and some of those are carcinogenic. Bruce Ames, at the University of California, devised a method of screening for mutagens, using bacteria. One of his graduate students using the technique found that the flame retardants in children's pajamas and bedding were powerful mutagens, and were probably causing cancer. That event made Ames a celebrity, and in the 1980s he went on a lecture tour supported by the American Cancer Society. His lectures reflected the doctrine of the A.C.S., that industrial chemicals aren't responsible for cancer, but that individual actions, such as smoking or dietary choices, are the main causes of cancer. He used a fraudulently "age adjusted" graph of cancer mortality, that falsely showed that mortality from all types of cancer except lung cancer had leveled off after the A.C.S. came into existence. He described tests in which he had compared DDT to extracts of food herbs, and found DDT to be less mutagenic than several of the most commonly used flavoring herbs. His message, which was eagerly received by his audience of chemistry and biology professors, was that we should not worry about environmental pollution, because it's not as harmful as the things that we do to ourselves. He said that if everyone would eat more unsaturated vegetable oil, and didn't smoke, they wouldn't have anything to worry about." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sphagnum posted this interesting bit in another thread....

“Formaldehyde ResinFormaldehyde resin is a chemical present in some clothes, especially new ones, and it gives a fishy smell. It’s meant to increase the fabric’s resistance to wrinkles and help dyes penetrate deeper. The only solution to this is to wash the clothes well until they no longer smell.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"100% Agreed - I feel estrogen raise every time I wear a polyester blend or polyester jersey especially will ruin my mood - All my clothes are 100% cotton as this is the only type of cloth I've tried that doesn't mess with my test levels - All my clothes are Ralph Lauren Big & Tall as my size has grown considerably since peating." -JamesGatz

"At some point during my first pregnancy, I thought I had a UTI. I went to check with a nurse and she mentioned if I wore any polyester underwear and that during pregnancy, the skin is more sensitive and polyester underwear can cause similar symptoms to a UTI. Low and behold, this all went away when I made sure to not wear the polyester underwear I had." -somuch4food

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Carpeting can be a great flooring option at home. It adds warmth, comfort and feels good on bare feet. But because of all the traffic it encounters, it tends to get pretty dirty over time. It’s a germ hotspot and can be 4,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat and they can also have many different organisms living in them.”

“Carpets can become infested with dust mites whose droppings can trigger asthma attacks and can trap allergy-inflaming proteins which are known to trigger asthma, eczema and rhinitis attacks. Quite often people are searching for a solution to their conditions and the problem may well be right under your feet. For those who have environmental allergies, this can be a serious health issue. In fact, dirty carpets can lead to serious health problems in otherwise healthy people.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If you frequently wake up with drainage or allergy-like symptoms, your carpets should be one of the first places you look to eliminate bacteria and dust mites. Now that fall is here, you might be experiencing sneezing and skin irritation thanks to ragweed and mold. The American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology warns that these irritants can build up in your carpet and that your symptoms can flare up in the immediate hours after vacuuming.
Skin Irritation
Itchy skin, rashes, athlete’s foot, and eczema are all dirty carpet dangers that can be triggered or made worse by dust mites in unclean carpet. Even if you maintain a regular cleaning schedule, dust mites are small enough to evade the most diligent home cleaners. Prevention.com recommends running a humidifier and regularly having carpets cleaned to protect sensitive skin.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Dear Suffering in Oakland,

Yikes! You’re right, you’re definitely experiencing the effects of off-gassing. Off-gassing, sometimes called out-gassing, is the gaseous release of chemicals from a material. Furniture, plastics, vinyl products, paint, new cars, clothing, cosmetics, plastic water bottles, carpet, and mattresses do it, to name just a few. Off-gassing materials emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and small particulate substances throughout the life of the material. This can cause many of the symptoms you’re experiencing including headaches, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, and asthmatic reactions. Longer-term effects are also possible; some chemicals are strongly linked to leukemia and lymphomas, cognitive impairment and hearing loss, among other conditions.

While each of us reacts differently to toxic materials, it’s important to be cautious and be conscientious consumers.

To find out more about the connections between chemicals and human health, take a look at the searchable Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE) Toxicant and Disease Database. CHE points out that more than 82,000 chemicals have been developed, distributed, and discarded into the environment over the past fifty years. Only about 200 are fully tested for toxic effects in humans or animals, and many are common in our air, water, food, homes, workplaces, and communities. As is the case with carpets, even some of the few that are determined toxic to human health are still in everyday products in the marketplace.

Now, onto solutions: while we have yet to find a silver bullet for avoiding toxic carpets, a good number of “better” options are available today.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“They can be sensitized by a single high-level exposure of xenobiotics such as chemicals from a pesticide application, or by repeated lower-level exposures, such as breathing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from remodeling or new construction. Thereafter, even low levels of these and other unrelated chemicals can cause the mast cells to release hundreds of inflammatory chemicals, resulting in allergic-like reactions – some very severe.

Dr. Miller says these disabling conditions have exploded since World War II, coinciding with a massive increase in the production of synthetic chemicals along with their use indoors. This has become even more problematic since the 1970s when energy conservation efforts led to tightly sealed homes, schools and workplaces where fresh air is absent or minimal.

As a result, she says, unprecedented levels of these novel chemicals are released and inhaled from construction materials and furnishings, as well as from substances deliberately released into the air or applied to surfaces. These include cleaning products, fragrances, tobacco smoke, mothballs, disinfectants, and emissions from gas stoves and heaters. Mold in water-damaged buildings can also release toxic chemicals into the air.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Agents whose exposures are associated with symptoms and suspected of causing onset of chemical sensitivity with chronic illness include gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, pesticides (especially chlordane and chlorpyrifos), solvents, new carpet and other renovation materials, adhesives/glues, fiberglass, carbonless copy paper, fabric softener, formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, carpet shampoos (lauryl sulfate) and other cleaning agents, isocyanates, combustion products (poorly vented gas heaters, overheated batteries), and medications (dinitrochlorobenzene for warts, intranasally packed neosynephrine, prolonged antibiotics, and general anesthesia with petrochemicals). Multiple mechanisms of chemical injury that magnify response to exposures in chemically sensitive patients can include neurogenic inflammation (respiratory, gastrointestinal, genitourinary), kindling and time-dependent sensitization (neurologic), impaired porphyrin metabolism (multiple organs), and immune activation.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A new report by our partners at HealthyStuff.org out today exposes a danger at many checkout counters—toxic receipts. They found toxic bisphenol A (BPA) or its chemical cousin bisphenol S (BPS) in 93% of the receipts tested.

You’ve probably heard about BPA in hard plastic water bottles and we’ve told you about BPA in the linings of food cans. It’s been banned from some children’s products like baby bottles and sippy cups in the US. But did you know that after touching a single receipt, these chemicals can enter your bloodstream within minutes?“

ReSTART

Furniture, plastics, vinyl products, paint, new cars, clothing, cosmetics, plastic water bottles, carpet, and mattresses do it, to name just a few. Off-gassing materials emit volatile organic compounds

biggest problem for VOCs and chemicals with leather, dyes and stuff is anything that touches your body or you breathe in plastic microfibres, which are coated or mixed with chemicals in factory

cloth
upholstery (couches, car seats
sleeping mattresses
carpets
curtains

Curtains, carpets, mattresses, car seats, couches… anything big with a lot of surface area or has foam in it (car seats, mattresses, couches). Those are the worst because they’re the most flammable, so the most chemicals are used.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“You warn plenty about hormone disrupters in shampoos, soaps and other everyday common items, but what about wearing medical tape on the mouth every night. Wouldn’t the glue on the tape be unhealthy, especially being on the lips?”

RAY PEAT:
“ I think it is.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Note about Cotton sheets labeled “Wrinkle-Free”, “Easy Care” and “Permanent Press” - These labels indicate the fabric has been treated with formaldehyde resin, one of the most toxic chemical fabric finishes. Formaldehyde is one of about two dozen toxins commonly found in textiles that are believed by doctors to contribute to Multiple Chemical Sensitivities(MCS).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Scientists in a new study have identified a link between “forever chemical” exposure and the development of the most common type of liver cancer.

One specific type of forever chemical, called perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS), may have a particularly strong connection to the manifestation of this deadly disease, according to the study.

PFOS is one of thousands of humanmade per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) and is found widely throughout the environment.

Notorious for their presence in jet fuel firefighting foam and industrial discharge, PFAS are a set of toxic chemicals found in a variety of household products, including nonstick pans, waterproof apparel and cosmetics.

While prior research in animals have suggested that PFAS exposure increases the risk of liver cancer, Monday’s study — published in JHEP Reports — is the first to confirm a connection in human samples.“