Fungal Infection... The Missing Link?

Abundant Life

Great find, I had no idea Xlear Rescue even existed. Sounds like it should synergize quite well with the protocol, providing the carvacrol content is high enough.

I’ve been using the regular Xlear upon waking and before bed for the past few days but haven’t noticed much of a change. Maybe there wasn’t a great deal of biofilm activity up there in the first place? Nevertheless I’ll keep at it and report back in another week or so.

I use Xlear right after doing the fennel oil brushing and once or twice mid day to keep my nasal passages clear. First, I would blow my nose to clear any boogers I can that way. Then I would breathe in through my nose and out my mouth, spraying once into each nostril and continue breathing in through my nose and out my mouth until I can taste the Xlear in my mouth. Next I would do another round of the spray. If there are still boogers after being able to taste the Xlear then I would switch to breathing in and out only through my nose, moving the loosen booger back and forth, using it as an ally to spread the Xlear around the passages to help loosen any more. Finally I blow all the boogers out.

After writing that I have realized I am enjoying this portion of the protocol a bit too much!

OP
Sweatshop Toad
I use Xlear right after doing the fennel oil brushing and once or twice mid day to keep my nasal passages clear. First, I would blow my nose to clear any boogers I can that way. Then I would breathe in through my nose and out my mouth, spraying once into each nostril and continue breathing in through my nose and out my mouth until I can taste the Xlear in my mouth. Next I would do another round of the spray. If there are still boogers after being able to taste the Xlear then I would switch to breathing in and out only through my nose, moving the loosen booger back and forth, using it as an ally to spread the Xlear around the passages to help loosen any more. Finally I blow all the boogers out.

After writing that I have realized I am enjoying this portion of the protocol a bit too much!
Have you noticed a reduction in fungal overgrowth symptoms since you’ve started the fennel/Xlear?

FrostedShores

Were you taking the papain and bromelain with meals as a digestive aid? I suspect the root cause of my overgrowth is poor digestion and motility which leads to fungal fermentation so something like that could be a game changer in my case.

And many (myself included) have found fennel brushing to be the most efficacious portion of the protocol so I highly recommend you try it. Just don’t leave it in your mouth for more than a couple minutes or you can give your gums a nasty burn. I had to figure that part out with my own trial and error 🤣
I've taken papain and bromelain both with meals and on an empty stomach. From what I've read, there are supposed to be benefits to doing both. They definitely help with digestion. I've used other digestive enzymes in the past, but papain and bromelain are more effective, for me at least. I also make sure to take them at the same time that I take the antifungal substances. I can't be certain, but I believe they help the antifungals do their job.

I just ordered some fennel seed oil. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

OP
Sweatshop Toad
I've taken papain and bromelain both with meals and on an empty stomach. From what I've read, there are supposed to be benefits to doing both. They definitely help with digestion. I've used other digestive enzymes in the past, but papain and bromelain are more effective, for me at least. I also make sure to take them at the same time that I take the antifungal substances. I can't be certain, but I believe they help the antifungals do their job.

I just ordered some fennel seed oil. I'm looking forward to trying it out!
What makes you think they’re helping the antifungals?

OP
Sweatshop Toad
My understanding is they're both biofilm disruptors. I'm assuming that taking them at the same time as the antifungals will help the antifungals get in contact with the fungus. I could be wrong; I'm just going off intuition.
I used to take papain which unfortunately did very little to help with my digestion or candida, but I’m probably a one in a million case thanks to my Ehlers-Danlos and immunodeficiency. That’s a solid hypothesis and I’m glad its working for you though!

FrostedShores

I used to take papain which unfortunately did very little to help with my digestion or candida, but I’m probably a one in a million case thanks to my Ehlers-Danlos and immunodeficiency. That’s a solid hypothesis and I’m glad its working for you though!
I watched a youtube video, I believe it was from Christopher Walker, in which he claimed bromelain and papain work synergistically. So taking the two together will enhance their efficacy. If you haven't taken them both at the same time, it may be worth trying.

OP
Sweatshop Toad
I watched a youtube video, I believe it was from Christopher Walker, in which he claimed bromelain and papain work synergistically. So taking the two together will enhance their efficacy. If you haven't taken them both at the same time, it may be worth trying.
I’ll look into it after my taurine experiment, thanks for the tip.

Abundant Life

Have you noticed a reduction in fungal overgrowth symptoms since you’ve started the fennel/Xlear?

It is hard to say because there are so many variables. The CDF NAC, Fennel Brushing and Xlear are 3 different protocols. I know for sure the Xlear is definitely clearing the nasal passages, that effect is immediate. The Fennel Brushing might be helping with brain fog symptoms as one morning I woke up a few hours earlier than normal, decided to get a head start on work but couldn't focus until after I did the Fennel Brushing. It does feel like my mind is clearer more times than not since adding the Fennel Brushing/Xlear. Another thing is since I started doing the Fennel Brushing I been brushing my tongue, trying to get the white stuff off without gagging. It is lighter than before, but remains. This fungus is very resilient, I'll give it that.

OP
Sweatshop Toad
It is hard to say because there are so many variables. The CDF NAC, Fennel Brushing and Xlear are 3 different protocols. I know for sure the Xlear is definitely clearing the nasal passages, that effect is immediate. The Fennel Brushing might be helping with brain fog symptoms as one morning I woke up a few hours earlier than normal, decided to get a head start on work but couldn't focus until after I did the Fennel Brushing. It does feel like my mind is clearer more times than not since adding the Fennel Brushing/Xlear. Another thing is since I started doing the Fennel Brushing I been brushing my tongue, trying to get the white stuff off without gagging. It is lighter than before, but remains. This fungus is very resilient, I'll give it that.
For what it’s worth, the creator of the NAC protocol (I’m merely an apostle) considers them two prongs in a comprehensive approach to eradicate all dimorphic fungi in the body, which should thereby shift the organism out of an inflammatory state and restore mitochondrial function.

I’m inclined to regard the fennel brushing as equally important as the NAC/OO/BSO since I didn’t see much of an improvement until I added that part in, perhaps due to oral biofilms reinfecting my gut erasing what little progress I was making.

Before the fennel brushing my gums were rotting out of my head and I could feel the bacteria/fungi poisoning my brain and ocular nerves in particular. I was starting to go blind and it was as if a dark curtain was being pulled over my eyes. After only a couple months of fennel brushing my vision and gum health have been restored about 95% for which I’m eternally grateful.

As for the efficacy of Xlear the jury’s still out. Like I said earlier it’s possible my sinuses weren’t a hotbed of fungal activity, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be instrumental in the recovery of someone else.

I also feel like I (and many others) lost a great deal of time thanks to the underdosed Swanson OO so my true recovery didn’t start until I switched to the NOW brand and had been just spinning my wheels for the initial stretch in August/September.

Another supplement I’ve had good results with is crystallized MSM. I take a small scoop of it every morning with the NAC/OO/BSO and it feels like it’s helping to rebuild my candida ravaged gut lining. The effect has been so profound I’m going to recommend they add it to the protocol definitely, or at least the maintenance phase.

Last edited:

Abundant Life

For what it’s worth, the creator of the NAC protocol (I’m merely an apostle) considers them two prongs in a comprehensive approach to eradicate all dimorphic fungi in the body, which should thereby shift the organism out of an inflammatory state and restore mitochondrial function.

I’m inclined to regard the fennel brushing as equally important as the NAC/OO/BSO since I didn’t see much of an improvement until I added that part in, perhaps due to oral biofilms reinfecting my gut erasing what little progress I was making.

Before the fennel brushing my gums were rotting out of my head and I could feel the bacteria/fungi poisoning my brain and ocular nerves in particular. I was starting to go blind and it was as if a dark curtain was being pulled over my eyes. After only a couple months of fennel brushing my vision and gum health have been restored about 95% for which I’m eternally grateful.
Sounds like your gum issues are more severe. I did have bleeding gums that healed over a year ago. My gums are fine except I have areas where it looks like the gum has been eaten away and it is revealing too much tooth. I fear if something might sneaks in and gets stuck so close to the tooth root. I heard that missing gum areas can be restored, but it is an area I have yet to look more into. Maybe after I'm in a good state from the CDF protocol.

As for the efficacy of Xlear the jury’s still out. Like I said earlier it’s possible my sinuses weren’t a hotbed of fungal activity, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be instrumental in the recovery of someone else.
I been dealing with nasal issues since I was a teenager. Some mornings my nose would be constantly running with clear mucus as if it was detoxing something. I also had bloody mucus quite often, even in the summer when the humidity isn't low. I never understood it, maybe it is fungal and it is why I am feeling a difference in my nasals with the Xlear.

I also feel like I (and many others) lost a great deal of time thanks to the underdosed Swanson OO so my true recovery didn’t start until I switched to the NOW brand and had been just spinning my wheels for the initial stretch in August/September.
I feel you. I lost about 2 weeks when I was doing Oregano Extract instead of Oregano Oil! The differences between taking the effective and non-effective are major. It is no biggie since according to the CDF guide one shouldn't move onto maintenance until there about 3 weeks of no die off symptoms on the NAC protocol.

Another supplement I’ve had good results with is crystallized MSM. I take a small scoop of it every morning with the NAC/OO/BSO and it feels like it’s helping to rebuild my candida ravaged gut lining. The effect has been so profound I’m going to recommend they add it to the protocol definitely, or at least the maintenance phase.
I have been using MSM for years. I add a quarter teaspoon when I have coffee or tea, just enough to not taste it. It is great for hair, nails, joints and I heard that it helps smooth out crevices in the gut where the bad stuff can use for their benefit. Like many things, MSM used to be abundant and was naturally present on the surfaces of fruits. But due to commercial farming where pesticides are sprayed and everything is washed, sanitized over bacteria fears it must be supplemented. One of the best MSM tips I have found is to take Vitamin C with it to make MSM four times more effective.

OP
Sweatshop Toad
Sounds like your gum issues are more severe. I did have bleeding gums that healed over a year ago. My gums are fine except I have areas where it looks like the gum has been eaten away and it is revealing too much tooth. I fear if something might sneaks in and gets stuck so close to the tooth root. I heard that missing gum areas can be restored, but it is an area I have yet to look more into. Maybe after I'm in a good state from the CDF protocol.

I been dealing with nasal issues since I was a teenager. Some mornings my nose would be constantly running with clear mucus as if it was detoxing something. I also had bloody mucus quite often, even in the summer when the humidity isn't low. I never understood it, maybe it is fungal and it is why I am feeling a difference in my nasals with the Xlear.

I feel you. I lost about 2 weeks when I was doing Oregano Extract instead of Oregano Oil! The differences between taking the effective and non-effective are major. It is no biggie since according to the CDF guide one shouldn't move onto maintenance until there about 3 weeks of no die off symptoms on the NAC protocol.

I have been using MSM for years. I add a quarter teaspoon when I have coffee or tea, just enough to not taste it. It is great for hair, nails, joints and I heard that it helps smooth out crevices in the gut where the bad stuff can use for their benefit. Like many things, MSM used to be abundant and was naturally present on the surfaces of fruits. But due to commercial farming where pesticides are sprayed and everything is washed, sanitized over bacteria fears it must be supplemented. One of the best MSM tips I have found is to take Vitamin C with it to make MSM four times more effective.
In my case I feel like I caught my gums quickly enough that I’ll have the luxury of keeping my teeth longterm. When I realized how badly they were receding I dropped all carbs for a ground beef (and diluted lemon juice) only fast until I was able to sort things out. Now that I’ve discovered the CDF protocol my gums have returned to a healthy shade of pink except for the most receded areas and I am once again able to enjoy carbs.

As for the Xlear, I’ve been getting the mother of all sinus headaches each time I use the stuff. Gonna keep pushing through, hopefully its just some kind of die off up there.

And good on you for doing your research and discovering MSM. Did you struggle with jitters and anxiety at first with it too? I kept getting on and off because it was damaging my mental state but it seems my body has mostly adapted upon lowering the dosage and pushing through. Taking it with a glass of OJ (through a straw for the sake of my poor little chompers) also seems to help.

Abundant Life

And good on you for doing your research and discovering MSM. Did you struggle with jitters and anxiety at first with it too? I kept getting on and off because it was damaging my mental state but it seems my body has mostly adapted upon lowering the dosage and pushing through. Taking it with a glass of OJ (through a straw for the sake of my poor little chompers) also seems to help.

I do have anxiety that was there before and after MSM. I don't remember ever having jitters. There was a time when I was taking a teaspoon of MSM with a teaspoon of Camu Camu Powder 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks. Then I had a strange problem where I would get hives before going to bed at night and it would disappear in the morning. Then after a few nights of these hives I woke up around 3am, felt light headed, ready to faint, like walls were closing in. It was so bad that I left my front door unlocked and opened so someone can find me, just in case because I lived alone. MSM/Camu wasn't the only thing I was taking at the time, I just ended up dropping everything. Went to the doctor and all they wanted to do was prescribe me anti-anxiety meds instead of getting to the bottom of it. I never knew what it was or what caused it.

Taking MSM with orange juice is a good one, covers up the taste and synergizes with the vitamin C.

OP
Sweatshop Toad
I do have anxiety that was there before and after MSM. I don't remember ever having jitters. There was a time when I was taking a teaspoon of MSM with a teaspoon of Camu Camu Powder 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks. Then I had a strange problem where I would get hives before going to bed at night and it would disappear in the morning. Then after a few nights of these hives I woke up around 3am, felt light headed, ready to faint, like walls were closing in. It was so bad that I left my front door unlocked and opened so someone can find me, just in case because I lived alone. MSM/Camu wasn't the only thing I was taking at the time, I just ended up dropping everything. Went to the doctor and all they wanted to do was prescribe me anti-anxiety meds instead of getting to the bottom of it. I never knew what it was or what caused it.

Taking MSM with orange juice is a good one, covers up the taste and synergizes with the vitamin C.
If you’re anything like me you probably have a mast cell disorder. From what I understand gut dysbiosis is one of the most common triggers. Do you have seasonal allergies or food sensitivities?

Abundant Life

If you’re anything like me you probably have a mast cell disorder. From what I understand gut dysbiosis is one of the most common triggers. Do you have seasonal allergies or food sensitivities?

Yes, I actually do have seasonal allergies. I usually get more sick in April/May than I do in the winter. I may have food sensitivities but never kept a food journal.

OP
Sweatshop Toad
Yes, I actually do have seasonal allergies. I usually get more sick in April/May than I do in the winter. I may have food sensitivities but never kept a food journal.
What does your diet look like? If you have any unaddressed food sensitivities they could be causing leaky gut and the origin of your candida.

joaquin

After 2 months on ALA alone, I was a mess physically and mentally.
That's when I tried high doses of OSR, they fixed me within two weeks from the damage of ALA (mercury redistribution).

I then did a year straight on OSR, but reached a plateau, then got the idea to reintroduce ALA along OSR. That's were the magic happened and the progress was exponential.
I have kept this combo ever since.
What is OSR?

OP
Sweatshop Toad
UPDATE: No major changes to report with the protocol as a whole. While I’m generally trending toward improvement I’ve yet to resolve the bloating, brain fog, and general GI/prostate symptoms that have plagued me for the better part of a decade. But as for the individual components of the protocol:

NAC, to put it lightly, makes my belly cry out with the scorching agony of Tartarus every time I take a dose. It’s the same kind of pain I’d get overdosing on aspirin so probably an ulcer. Luckily it also keeps me up at night so I‘ve limited my dosing to once in the morning only now. I’m also experiencing a powerful anhedonia which others have attributed to NAC. Thinking it could be a serotonin problem due to NAC’s effect as a MAO inhibitor. Gonna try dropping it for a while and see how I feel. For what it’s worth there’s currently a sort of schism occurring in the CDF threads regarding NAC so I know I’m not alone. From my firsthand experience it feels like a short term therapeutic that should only be used for a couple days at the most, but of course your mileage may vary.

Black seed oil, while efficacious on paper, seems to do little for me in the way of curbing inflammation as I’m still enjoying my trademark migraines and arthritis. Gonna keep on keeping with this one as I haven’t any reasons to stop other than perhaps price. Horbaach ain’t cheap.

Oregano oil (if not Swanson) is apparently the workhorse of this stack as I had ZERO benefit until I switched to the NOW brand. I’ve noticed a dramatic decrease in my bloating upon each dose of OO since I made the change. Love this stuff.

Fennel brushing, as previously stated, has saved my mouth. Simply adding a drop to my toothbrush at the end of the day has transformed my gums from a bloody receding mess to something the dentist would look at and say “Meh, good enough.” Still not out of the woods yet as I still have some pockets of inflammation at the gumline but I’m no longer watching them rot from my face at breakneck speed. If I could only keep one piece of the CDF protocol it would be the fennel brushing.

As for the Xlear, I’m afraid I haven’t noticed much of a change one way or the other since adding it. I do two squirts in each nostril in the morning and two in each at night, but it didn’t make much of a difference other than some sharp migraines the first few days. Maybe this was a biofilm being cleared from my sinuses? Either way I’ll keep using it as it’s cheap enough and the benefits are there on paper.

MSM, my own personal contribution, doesn’t appear to have made much of a difference on the candida front at this place in time. My theory was the high concentration of sulfur would clear out some fungi while also helping to rebuild the lining of my gut. But while I haven’t noticed a decrease in GI symptoms, others have commented on my improved hair and skin quality so perhaps it’s helping, but not enough to stem the tsunami of gastrointestinal inflammation that I’m experiencing. I also make sure to take it with vitamin C (in my case orange juice) as MSM requires a great deal of it to work.

The bottom line is that while I’ve ultimately achieved a modest improvement of health on the protocol, it for the most part seems to have plateaued. I’m thinking in order to improve further I need to address the autoimmune aspect of my symptomology, like how eating most foods makes my tonsils ache, and how turning the heat on in the winter makes me faint. The candida, while deleterious, is probably a symptom rather than a root cause with me.

If anyone would like to talk diet I’d be happy to discuss how various foods have impacted my symptoms. If not I’ll just keep doing generic updates such as this as I continue to work my way through things, but it’s still very touch and go at this point.

Back
Top Bottom