Functional GABA Deficiency May Be Cause Of Autism

aguilaroja

very interesting. topical GABA treatment shows promise in down syndrome
Dimethy Sulfoxide Therapy in Severe Retardation in Mongoloid Children
is anyone testing or using topical gaba or l-theanine

Actually, the therapy was DMSO itself. I do not see anywhere in the text that they dissolved GABA in it. I think their goal was to have some DMSO inside the organism, which would allow existing GABA to better reach the meninges and the brain.
Here is the link for the Spanish language text of the 1976 study by the Aspillaga group.
http://www.scielo.cl/pdf/rcp/v47n4/art05.pdf

The information is similar to the English version listed on the dmso.org site, which may be a version of the 1975 article published in the Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences. The information listed describes both DMSO and amino acids given to the treatments groups by (intramuscular) injection, with oral amino acid supplementation done during the non-injection (“rest”) months for the treatment group. There is limited information on preparations.

It is noteworthy that clinical improvements in many measures were seen in the treatment groups, 40 years ago, when little effective therapy was available was Down’s syndrome children.

Last edited:

JCastro

In vitro and whole animal evidence that methylmercury disrupts GABAergic systems in discrete brain regions in captive mink.
"These results show that chronic exposure to environmentally relevant levels of MeHg disrupts GABAergic signaling. Given that GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian nervous system, prolonged disruptions of its function may underlie the sub-clinical impacts of MeHg at relevant levels to animal health."
GABA receptor-channel complex as a target site of mercury, copper, zinc, and lanthanides.
Mercury interaction with the GABA(A) receptor modulates the benzodiazepine binding site in primary cultures of mouse cerebellar granule cells.
Mercury chloride modulation of the GABAA receptor-channel complex in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons.

The retention time of inorganic mercury in the brain--a systematic review of the evidence.
"...predications based on a long half-life (27.4 years) are consistent with autopsy findings."

Pet Peeve

I agree on the glutamate. It definitely causes brain excitation in vulnerable people. But thing is it's not supposed to cross BBB, so that means if you react it is leaky. Things that cause leakiness include brain hypoglycemia.

I did not know. Do you have some sources? How do you fix it? I think I remember methylene blue helping this?

Dayman

Actually, the therapy was DMSO itself. I do not see anywhere in the text that they dissolved GABA in it. I think their goal was to have some DMSO inside the organism, which would allow existing GABA to better reach the meninges and the brain.

My mistake I remembered the study incorrectly.
I was thinking of trying topical GABA or theanine after seeing this product advertised
SKINCARE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE. REALLY.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Here is the link for the Spanish language text of the 1976 study by the Aspillaga group.
http://www.scielo.cl/pdf/rcp/v47n4/art05.pdf

The information is similar to the English version listed on the dmso.org site, which may be a version of the 1975 article published in the Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences. The information listed describes both DMSO and amino acids given to the treatments groups by (intramuscular) injection, with oral amino acid supplementation done during the non-injection (“rest”) months for the treatment group. There is limited information on preparations.

It is noteworthy that clinical improvements in many measures were seen in the treatment groups, 40 years ago, when little effective therapy was available was Down’s syndrome children.

That's fascinating! Are you aware of any other work on Down syndrome by this group of people?

Drareg

Fascinating thread, it's good to keep in mind the effect of too much gaba stimulation from supplements then,it reverses the effect and could give more than agitation in some people,it could send them into a temporary autistic state,getting agitated from routine disruption,narrowed focus.
Of course those who watched the accountant movie are now getting ideas....

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Fascinating thread, it's good to keep in mind the effect of too much gaba stimulation from supplements then,it reverses the effect and could give more than agitation in some people,it could send them into a temporary autistic state,getting agitated from routine disruption,narrowed focus.
Of course those who watched the accountant movie are now getting ideas....

Interestingly, allopregnanolone (which is the most potent endogenous GABA agonist, more so than GABA itself) can cause exactly such symptoms of agitation and disorientation in some dose ranges. I think this is what some people experience when they take high dose pregnenolone. If it raises allopregnanolone too much too quickly it can have paradoxical affects such such as the well known "wired but tired" feeling.

Drareg

Interestingly, allopregnanolone (which is the most potent endogenous GABA agonist, more so than GABA itself) can cause exactly such symptoms of agitation and disorientation in some dose ranges. I think this is what some people experience when they take high dose pregnenolone. If it raises allopregnanolone too much too quickly it can have paradoxical affects such such as the well known "wired but tired" feeling.

Intense one dimensional focus of sort,I have experienced this from pregnenolone in the early Peat days,I was flying through books.
I would still be very curious to try allopregnolone for the experience in lower dose obviously.

aguilaroja

That's fascinating! Are you aware of any other work on Down syndrome by this group of people?
Sadly, no, on search I did not find further work along the lines of the 1975-1976 study, 40 plus years ago. Aspillaga and colleagues seem to work on pediatric genetic issues. This group seems to have been willing to do innovative things in the face of difficult medical issues.

I did find one study that further confirms Dr. Peat’s observation of low progesterone, coinciding with the vulnerability of the fetus, around 8 weeks gestation, and some other nutrient/metabolic observations.

Endocrinologic events in early pregnancy failure. - PubMed - NCBI
“In all patients serum progesterone and estradiol concentrations were within the normal range up to 7 weeks but appeared to decrease from about 8 weeks' gestation whether or not a living fetus was present.”

The effects of oral iron supplementation on zinc and magnesium levels during pregnancy. - PubMed - NCBI
“Silybum marianum, increases the redox state and the total glutathione content of the liver, intestine, and stomach of the rat.”

[Concentrations of serum lipids in children with Down's syndrome]. - PubMed - NCBI
“The variables of body weight, height, and blood lipids gave a distribution of values that allows one to distinguish the group of children with Down's syndrome from the normal group. The values obtained for triglycerides, total cholesterol, and LDL-cholesterol ranged higher, with a constant deficit of HDL-cholesterol in all age groups.”

The effects of oral iron supplementation on zinc and magnesium levels during pregnancy. - PubMed - NCBI
“Magnesium concentrations also decreased throughout pregnancy reaching a nadir at 32 weeks gestation increasing thereafter again with pre-pregnancy values achieved by 12 weeks postpartum. Iron supplementation in non-diabetic and diabetic women had no significant effect upon the changes in serum concentration of either zinc or magnesium.”

DaveFoster

Do you think 5a-DHP would be appropriate for treating autism and anxiety disorders?

L-theanine and niacinamide can only do so much unfortunately.

ddjd

i have mild social anxiety, which I personally believe is a condition on the autism spectrum and not an anxiety disorder (unless both are linked) ... and I can only have a conversation to my internal satisfaction using alcohol.

Now all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together... amazing
sounds familiar. have you tried phenibut, its a game changer but i really cant allow myself to use it more than once a week

ddjd

Do you think 5a-DHP would be appropriate for treating autism and anxiety disorders?

L-theanine and niacinamide can only do so much unfortunately.
i really dont notice any GABA raising effects from niacinamide at all. id like to see some studies which support this

Elephanto

There is low glutamine and high glutamate in autism. Glutamine supplementation increases GABA. Perhaps a deficiency of the enzyme that converts glutamate into glutamine (glutamine synthetase), it is also downregulated by Ammonia, and glutamine synthetase itself participates to Ammonia detoxification. Glutamine protects intestinal layers and has been shown to reduce intestinal permeability. There is increased intestinal permeability in autism. Reduced absorption of nutrients from the intestinal permeability could explain an average of 25% lower serum Zinc levels.

Ammonia also affects cognition negatively. Serum zinc levels are inversely correlated with blood ammonia in the fasting state. Poor kidney functions also lead to high Ammonia. I'm thinking the way vaccines affect certain babies could start them with high Ammonia and damaged kidney functions, leading to reduced synthesis of Glutamine and the start of a looping cascade. "All forms of mercury have toxic effects in a number of organs, especially in the kidneys." Overt Hepatic Encephalotaphy is linked with high Ammonia and it has a strong relationship with Vitamin D deficiency. The abnormal intestinal permeability in children with autism is hypothesized to increase the uptake of opioid-triggering peptides found in Milk and Gluten. "The syndrome of autism was similar in psychological terms to that seen in children who had received morphine was put forward by Panksepp in 1978"

It seems like optimizing kidney functions and removing Ammonia should be a good starting point.

Things that reduce Ammonia / ameliorate kidney function :
Thiamine (300mg), Niacinamide, Zinc, Ceylon Cinnamon, Biotin, Potassium, Adequate hydratation, Bicarbonate sodium, Calcium + Low phosphate intake, Vitamin D, Progesterone, Thyroid, Magnesium and decalcifying agents, avoiding marathon running / excessive exercise, avoiding high fructose intake (pubmed it, many studies), avoiding NSAID except Aspirin, avoiding Aspartame.

Sources of mercury : High Fructose Corn Syrup, seafood, vaccines, dental amalgams, some artificial food colorings, pesticides.

Fun fact for the hair crowd : "Prolactin levels increased along with reduced kidney function"

Last edited:

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Unfortunately, alcohol is strongly estrogenic so if you have to drink I'd stick to clear spirits. Consider this thread before you get hammered:):
viewtopic.php?f=220&t=6016

Taurine, glycine, theanine, niacinamide, thiamine, pyridoxine, biotin etc are all GABA agonists and are much safer for stress reduction than alcohol. Also, if thyroid is working well stress would not be that much of a problem and you should not feel the need to drink.

"Thiamine, pyridoxine, biotin etc are all GABA agonists " - Where can I find the studies to this!?

ddjd

Nope, don't want to downregulate

I use GABA bulk powder though, it aint a benzo but does the job for me
Also apparantly supplementing GABA can actually increase Glutamate through the gaba shunt effect

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
i have mild social anxiety, which I personally believe is a condition on the autism spectrum and not an anxiety disorder (unless both are linked) ... and I can only have a conversation to my internal satisfaction using alcohol.

Now all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together... amazing

I feel like I have many similarities with you. What other herbs/substances have you had success with?

bdawg

Also apparantly supplementing GABA can actually increase Glutamate through the gaba shunt effect

Im pretty sure phenibut downregulates GABA receptors, judging by symptoms of overuse

I don't know enough about the GABA shunt effect but I haven't noticed anything like that

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
"Thiamine, pyridoxine, biotin etc are all GABA agonists " - Where can I find the studies to this!?

A small clarification - all 3 of these vitamins participate in GABA synthesis. They are not GABA "receptor" agonists, but increase its synthesis. If you Google each one of them followed by "GABA pubmed" you will find the studies you need. Some of the studies with pyridoxine and biotin are posted on the forum too so searching the forum for things like "biotin GABA" should give the relevant results.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals