Fully Hydrogenated Coconut Oil Source

T

tobieagle

Thank you for your report! :)
Valuable work.

If anyone has a European source, please tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheik

Is there any risk of the oil being contaminated with a hydrogenation catalyst? They say their oil is "food grade" but I don't know what that means, considering the crap that passes for food.

Does anyone know the shelf life of fully hydrogenated coconut oil?

Ulla

Thank you for your report! :)
Valuable work.

If anyone has a European source, please tell me.

I was always asking myself about EDEN Cocosfett from Germany. Anyone here that knows about it how it is made?

Cocosfett
987_1.jpg

T

tobieagle

I was always asking myself about EDEN Cocosfett from Germany. Anyone here that knows about it how it is made?

Cocosfett
987_1.jpg
Fett: 100 g
» davon gesättigte Fettsäuren: 91 g

And it says "ungehärtet" which means not hydrogenated.

T

tobieagle

Is there any risk of the oil being contaminated with a hydrogenation catalyst? They say their oil is "food grade" but I don't know what that means, considering the crap that passes for food.

Does anyone know the shelf life of fully hydrogenated coconut oil?

I have concerns too about the catalysts.

Shelf life is probably 10 years+

Ras

The hydrogenated coconut oil from TKB Trading has arrived. The oil was ordered 07 March, shipped with tracking 09 March, and arrived well 11 March. It has the smell and flavor of refined coconut oil.

IMG_20160312_105336214.jpg IMG_20160312_105440848.jpg IMG_20160312_105455258.jpg IMG_20160312_105548811.jpg IMG_20160312_105609927.jpg IMG_20160312_110931463.png

Sheik

Is it denser than normal refined coconut oil? I expected it to be bigger.

edit: or maybe it's just hard to tell by the picture.

paymanz

what happens to for example lauric acid in coconut oil when they fully hydrogenate it? does it make any difference in fatty acid profile?

Ras

Is it denser than normal refined coconut oil? I expected it to be bigger.

edit: or maybe it's just hard to tell by the picture.
The non-hydrogenated CO in the earlier photo is from this bottle, which is provided for scale. The bottle held 56oz (3.5lbs); the bag comprises 80oz (5lbs).

IMG_20160312_141234385.jpg

belscb

After some research on this I've confirmed that 92 degree coconut oil is indeed fully hydrogenated and contains virtually no trans fats. See pages 53-56 in Reducing Saturated Fats in Foods

Money-quotes:
(i) "the very high level of saturates in coconut oil is such that it is very rare to partially hydrogenate coconut oil. It is more usual to hydrogenate to complete saturation. This gives a fat with a melting point of about 32 degrees C [or 89.6 degrees F]. Coconut oil is the only common vegetable oil that can be fully hydrogenated and still melt below mouth temperature."

(ii) "Although fully hydrogenated coconut oil and palm kernel oil contains virtually no trans fatty acids, their use has been limited in recent years simply because of the need to still label them as 'hydrogenated.'"

(iii) Note also the chart on page 56 which gives a melting profile chart for fully hydrogenated coconut oil (the solid line). The melting point of a fat isn't a simple on-and-off switch; at higher temperatures it gets softer and softer, and at some arbitrary point we decide to call it 'melted.' Perhaps this explains why fully hydrogenated coconut oil is normally called "92 degree" coconut oil. I speculate that calling it 92 degrees is somewhat arbitrary, but probably an industry standard or something.

belscb

I'm buying some from Bulk Apothecary right now, since they're cheapest. A 5 gallon bucket (35 lbs) costs $85.52, including shipping to my area. Oh, and I found a $10 coupon which I just used, lowering it to $75.52. Very nice. Even cheaper than the normal Expeller Pressed CO I used to buy!

tara

belscb

(I assume your "wow" was in reference to the shelf-life of coconut oil, but I also just wanted to share my joy over cheap and efficient Peating while I was at it. :):

Oh no I was in awe at the ten tablespoons :ss and also the oil I buy goes moldy after one month :(

tara

Oh. I've only had moldy coconut oil twice. Once when I forgot about it for several years in a back corner - unrefined I think. The other time I took it over after a year or so from someone who wasn't so careful with the spoons (refined).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals