Full Hydrogenation

Jib

Absolutely possible and very easy. I simply melt some HCO and Stearic Acid together in a bowl, mix, and let cool. I've been using it on my skin nightly, and it has made noticeable improvements. I used to have rough, cracked skin on my elbows, now it's smooth and hydrated. That's the most noticable difference, but I'vee seen other improvements, too.

For cooking, I usually just add both ingredients separately. I just find that easier, but no reason you can't prep the mixture beforehand.

HCO also has significantly more Stearic Acid than regular coconut oil, about 4 times as much. That's because the MUFA and PUFA turn into stearic acid.

There's other places that sell HCO, Toxinless.com lists a few more under the coconut oil tab, if you want to shop around.

Thanks! Excellent information.

tankasnowgod

On the issue of Trans Fats...

The only type of fat that hydrogenation can turn into a "Trans Fat" is PUFA. All MUFA will turn into SFA. PUFA can become MUFA, SFA, or Trans Fat MUFA. I am totally with Peat on the idea that Trans Fats are much safer than PUFA. I actually suspect that they are safer and more beneficial than Cis Fat MUFA.

Regardless of the above, HCO can't contain more than 2% total of Trans Fats. There's likely a higher percentage in Grass Fed Beef Tallow.

schultz

HCO also has significantly more Stearic Acid than regular coconut oil, about 4 times as much. That's because the MUFA and PUFA turn into stearic acid.

I was reading my earlier posts from this thread and I mention that the PUFA might turn into stearic acid or something of that sort and was sort of wondering about it. It seems obvious to me now (but apparently not back then) that any 18 carbon unsaturated fat would turn into stearic acid as it has 18 carbons as well. Oleic acid is 18:1 and linoleic acid is 18:2.

Jib

The reason I was looking for a fully hydrogenated coconut oil was so that I could experiment with a diet containing around 0.5g of PUFA but still have fat in my diet. Other than the fat helping with A,D,E and K absorption, the hydrogenated coconut oil accelerates PUFA depletion and causes a higher production of mead acid by the body. I experimented with a diet under 5g of total fat and I didn't like it so much. I'm being a little OCD but I find it fun.

Anyway, I contacted this company...
Home - Welch, Holme, & Clark
..., and they sell to the public it seems. The smallest size you can order is 5 gallons, but it seems to be the only fully hydrogenated coconut oil I can find. Most of the hydrogenated coconut oils are listed as having a 92 degree melting point and I don't trust that number. The one from WHC has a 101 degree melting point, which puts it in the range of where wikipedia says hydrogenated coconut oil should be (97-104).

I read very interesting studies in regards to HCO compared to a no-fat diet, and it seems superior to the no-fat diet. I will post them later.

Just placed an order with Welch, Holme and Clark on the phone. The gentleman I talked to was very pleasant. A pleasure to talk to. Would be happy to order again. Seems like a great company.

With shipping and the credit card fee it came out to something like $134 for a 5 gallon pail. Not bad at all. Beats the pants off some other prices I've seen for regular refined coconut oil in the same quantity. Tropical Traditions sells refined coconut oil for $199 for a 5 gallon pail.

I also like how they list all the specifications on their website, and will also ship with information on your specific batch. They seem to have all their ducks in a row.

https://products.whc-oils.com/item/...enated-coconut-oils/hydrogenated-coconut-oils

Excited to receive the oil. Hope it doesn't cause diarrhea like some other people have reported. I've got 5 gallons, so...that would be quite the problem.

But hydrogenation does seem superior overall, for the lowered PUFA content. Guess I'll find out.

Jib

Just got my 5 gallon pail in today. Very happy. The certificate of analysis is especially reassuring.

My batch is 11.4% stearic acid. Melting point of 97.3 degrees. Excellent that they provide a batch analysis. This signals extremely high quality to me.

I'd absolutely recommend buying from them. 5 gallons should last me quite a long time.

Attachments

• 20200330_171448.jpg
    20200330_171448.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200330_171432.jpg
    20200330_171432.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 31

Luann

Is there any way to assess a batch of 92 coconut oil to make sure it is what it says it is?
I bought some recently and, I don't know, for some reason I'm nervous, what if they made a mistake, gave me the wrong product or something that only looks / feels similar to HCO.
Is that crazy?

Jib

Is there any way to assess a batch of 92 coconut oil to make sure it is what it says it is?
I bought some recently and, I don't know, for some reason I'm nervous, what if they made a mistake, gave me the wrong product or something that only looks / feels similar to HCO.
Is that crazy?

I don't think it's crazy. Although if you ordered a batch of hydrogenated coconut oil, in all likelihood it's perfectly fine. I can't think of any way to test it to know 100%. But I wouldn't worry about it. HCO feels and looks basically identical to normal coconut oil, as far as I can tell. Rubbing some on the back of my hands, the HCO does feel "thicker" and seems to moisturize my skin even better. Outside of that I can't think of any way to test it. Maybe try rubbing some normal coconut oil on the back of one hand, and the 92 degree batch on the other, and see if you feel any difference.

How much did you get? I'd recommend going thru the company I bought from, if possible. Very impressed with the batch analysis. And there is no doubt about what you're receiving.

I don't think they could confuse something for HCO though. What you received is probably fine, and batch analysis just appeases the OCD side of me.

schultz

Just got my 5 gallon pail in today. Very happy. The certificate of analysis is especially reassuring.

My batch is 11.4% stearic acid. Melting point of 97.3 degrees. Excellent that they provide a batch analysis. This signals extremely high quality to me.

I'd absolutely recommend buying from them. 5 gallons should last me quite a long time.

Yah I liked that about the WHC oil. I like that it says the iodine value as well. I want to order some more of that stuff. It lasted for a long time but I just didn't get around to reordering it, probably because it's more involved than a regular site.

Jib

@schultz

It was a bit time consuming to order over the phone. But I think since I filled out the form and e-mailed it to them, I'm now in their customer database, and will not have to do that again. And it wasn't too bad. Just loaded the document in WPS office, filled out the info, and e-mailed it as an attachment. Just name, address, phone number and e-mail pretty much. The rest was just giving the shipping info and credit card info verbally.

They have a form you can fill out and send online to place an order, but for me, ordering on the phone was much easier. Certainly not as easy as simply using PayPal, but I definitely think it was worth it for the quality.

Thanks again for posting about WHC and recommending them. Never woulda heard of them otherwise. The gentleman I talked to on the phone was very sociable and pleasant and professional. Seems like a great company all around.

I quite like having the batch at a melting point of 97.3 F. Do you remember what the melting point of your batch was? I'd imagine at 101 F it would not be able to be used as a moisturizer on the skin. Especially if you're like me with a lower metabolic rate and oral temps around 97 degrees.

Imagine HCO will last a very, very long time. Not a whole lot in there to oxidize. They list the expiration date at the year 2022 but I imagine it would last much longer than that if I'm not through the whole thing by then.

schultz

@schultz

It was a bit time consuming to order over the phone. But I think since I filled out the form and e-mailed it to them, I'm now in their customer database, and will not have to do that again. And it wasn't too bad. Just loaded the document in WPS office, filled out the info, and e-mailed it as an attachment. Just name, address, phone number and e-mail pretty much. The rest was just giving the shipping info and credit card info verbally.

They have a form you can fill out and send online to place an order, but for me, ordering on the phone was much easier. Certainly not as easy as simply using PayPal, but I definitely think it was worth it for the quality.

Thanks again for posting about WHC and recommending them. Never woulda heard of them otherwise. The gentleman I talked to on the phone was very sociable and pleasant and professional. Seems like a great company all around.

I quite like having the batch at a melting point of 97.3 F. Do you remember what the melting point of your batch was? I'd imagine at 101 F it would not be able to be used as a moisturizer on the skin. Especially if you're like me with a lower metabolic rate and oral temps around 97 degrees.

Imagine HCO will last a very, very long time. Not a whole lot in there to oxidize. They list the expiration date at the year 2022 but I imagine it would last much longer than that if I'm not through the whole thing by then.

You're very welcome!

I don't remember my melting point. The iodine number was 0.7 I think, so based on mine and yours it seems to be under 1 normally. I'm going to order some more so I will let you know the stats on mine when it comes.

Luann

I don't think it's crazy.

How much did you get? I'd recommend going thru the company I bought from, if possible. Very impressed with the batch analysis. And there is no doubt about what you're receiving.

I don't think they could confuse something for HCO though. What you received is probably fine, and batch analysis just appeases the OCD side of me.

I'm thankful for your advice jib, & plan to do just that.

Jib

@Jib how did you access the order form, what button?

You have to go to the "request quote" section. Should be right on the page with the oil, on the bottom. They'll then e-mail you the forms you need to fill out.

For me, I just called on the phone. Much easier. But even then they will e-mail you a form you gotta fill out. Nothing substantial, basically just name and shipping info.

Luann

Cool thanks, they haven't replied to my quote request so I will call tomorrow.

Jib

Cool thanks, they haven't replied to my quote request so I will call tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes. They were great on the phone when I called, very pleasant experience.