Frying liquid potato protein

M

marikay

Hi. Getting ready to try the potato juice thingy. I think I'd like to try the scramble before I try the soup. How long should I fry the liquid potato protein in the pan? Or, in other words, how do I know when the scramble is done?

narouz

This wins my
Obscure Peat Question of the Month Award.

btw, it's a good question!

narouz said:
This wins my

What?? Which god-fearing Ray Peat adept wouldn't know the optimal frying time for potato protein juice? Basic stuff. Asking here will safely raise the chance of not making a giant mess by a whole 5% :cool:

narouz

I've done it .
I forget,
but I seem to remember it didn't behave exactly like eggs.
It was enjoyable though.

I'm going to have to make it again. :)

Giraffe

Such_Saturation said:
What?? Which god-fearing Ray Peat adept wouldn't know the optimal frying time for potato protein juice? Basic stuff. Asking here will safely raise the chance of not making a giant mess by a whole 5% :cool:
Judging from how helpful the comments of you guys are I'd guess the chance is less than 5%.

@ Marikay: I only tried it once. After 15 minutes of frying I got a very thick soup. :lol:

johns74

I don't recall frying it. I recall boiling the juice for 40 minutes and then drinking it. I think I added water because otherwise all the liquid would evaporate.

XPlus

narouz said:
This wins my

Maybe if we could get the water in the potato soup into it's 4th phase (i.e. like Pollack proposes) just like in human muscles, we would be able to fry it.

We can fry muscles can't we - they're 75% water.
So, that would give us potato steak.
I can already imagine the texture.
It feels like chewing steak and tastes like truffle.

Jokes aside.
I think Peat's protein soup is made by simmering the potatoes for more than 45mins.
Then you can drink that water rich in protein.
I think this usually recommended for those with digestive issues to avoid the starch.

If you want to make potatoes soup by frying, you'd probably want to boil or steam the potatoes a little so you can mash them. It'll take a lot of stir frying time to get them soft when you start with raw potato pieces in the pan. You also risk burning them in the process.

If you manage to puree them somehow, you can start from there.
So after mashing or pureeing the potatoes, heat some coconut oil or butter in the pan, add the potatoes and stir fry on low-mid heat.

It won't take too long since they're already mashed/pureed.
You can go by taste.
Raw and half cooked potatoes taste slightly bitter, starchy or/and tacky.
Also, you can still feel the potato bits in your mouth when they're still not fully cooked.
It should be creamy. No bits.

Wow. Imagine cream, butter, salt and gelatin stock with that.
:shock:
I'm going to the kitchen.

Giraffe

There was a thread with pictures on how to prepare the juice. The point is that most of the starch is removed before you cook the juice. viewtopic.php?t=428

In one of the herbal doctors interviews they mentioned that you can fry the juice like scrambled eggs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals