Fruits vs Starches in hot / cold climate

Wilfrid

I was wondering how people react on fruits regarding the place they are living.
When I used to live in Paris any fruits made me very cold and very grumpy with cold nose, hands etc....especially during the winter season.
I mean Nature tends to give a profusion of fruits when temperature is hot and rarefies fruits when the temperature is cold,no? The reason for that is probably that fruits have, generally speaking, a cooling effect.
During the most stressfull time of the year (typically when temps drops as well as the day's light becoming shorter) for those with a low metabolic rate is it really healthy to eat fruits? If someone lives, let's say, in Alaska is eating fruits doesn't add to another metabolic stress despite the fact they are providing valuable nutrients and protective substances?
I can't speak for others but for me consuming starches during the darkest and coldest period of the year results in a better mood and metabolism.
The only time when I could eat fruits in such situation is at the end of the day around 5-6 Pm, interestingly when the body temperature is at his highest.
Is that also the case for others members?

Attachments

• 20150413.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150612.pdf
    958.3 KB · Views: 37

pboy

I live in Texas, winters here are about 30-60 deg farenheit average. I was freezing the whole time, low thyroid to begin with...and unfortunately I was drinking a lot of fruit juice
every day to my detriment. Basically all fruit is cooling in nature, meaning it can nourish you if you can fully digest it, but it weakens your digestion over time if exclusively consumed. The exceptions, heating fruits, are really sour green grapes or cherries, citrus (oranges, lemon, lime, grapefruit), and mango/pineapple/apricot/kiwi are neutral.
I pretty much only drink Orange and Pineapple juice now, usually about 4 cups a day. Adding salt helps a lot, I also dilute them with a little water but you don't have to, they just seems a little less intense to me that way. But yea...you're not alone, most fruit tends to weaken digestion and cool the body acutely and over time

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Attachments

• broscience.jpeg
    broscience.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,192

jaa

Fruit that you get in winter in northern climates isn't going to be as fresh as a mango you grab from a fruit cart in Thailand. Any negative (or less healthy) effects of eating a piece of fruit are due to the degradation in freshness. Mother nature ain't got nothin' to do with it. I think Matt Stone says fruit has a cooling effect due to liquid. Anecdotally, I feel warmer on less liquid, but if I just sub the water I would drink for fruit, OJ, milk and coffee, there's no discernible difference.

Icecreambear

I think the "freshness" of the fruit is not much of concern in regard to someone's digestion / metabolism.
I also read in one of the Ray Peat Q&A's where he said that even canned fruits are probably OK.

I think it certainly depends in which climate zone you live. Tropical fruits in a cold winter climate for a person with a low metabolism...Mmmh, anyhow, definitely not for me. Maybe dessert...

T

tobieagle

He recommends canned fruits, because they have got harvested ripe and then canned. Unlike "fresh" supermarket-fruits which are harvested unripe.

4peatssake

tobieagle said:
He recommends canned fruits, because they have got harvested ripe and then canned. Unlike "fresh" supermarket-fruits which are harvested unripe.

Can you cite a source for this tobie? I'd appreciate seeing that. Thanks.

T

tobieagle

4peatssake said:
tobieagle said:

Can you cite a source for this tobie? I'd appreciate seeing that. Thanks.

It was my own explanation & common sense. But he definitely said that canned fruits are usually save especially when canned in glas.
I get a glas of canned cherries every week from my local supermarket.

Jenn

My own personal experience says the same thing. Canned fruit is usually the ripest. Frozen is next, but highly variable. "Fresh" fruit is horribly under ripe when picked. It may soften in the back of the truck, but it doesn't get richer in nutrients. If you live in a higher populated area with local farmer's markets, you might have access to riper product.

Dutchie

Jenn said:
My own personal experience says the same thing. Canned fruit is usually the ripest. Frozen is next, but highly variable. "Fresh" fruit is horribly under ripe when picked. It may soften in the back of the truck, but it doesn't get richer in nutrients. If you live in a higher populated area with local farmer's markets, you might have access to riper product.
But the problem with buying canned fruit is that theres usually hidden stuff in the fluid they put it in even when the tag says its only water. as for frozen fruits,you can only get frozen berries over here.
Is the problem that it is being harvesred unripe or just that it isnt ripe yet? Bc the latter can easily be solved ny leaving it out at home to ripen further,or maybe speed up the process ny tossing it in the oven as i do with bananas to fully blacken them.
Or else theres the option to try to built a goo relationship with your grocerer. Im already known as the lady who buys the spoiled bamanas:p.....they now keep them for me. and i get them cheap whereas normally theyd ne thrown in the trash.

Today i read on a site they conducted an experiment for some kind of visiondisease and it was found that the group who ate more fuit had better improvements than the ones eating veggies.
It also said that the more ripened a fruit is,almost spoiled,the more increased anti oxidants it contains. This is quite a conttast to whT i usually read for instance about bananas. They usually write,the more the banana ripens the more it turns into simple sugar but also loses some of its nutrients

Jenn

Fruit picked under ripe does NOT gain any more nutrients. Changing color or becoming softer is not the same thing as ripe. Ripe fruit gets canned, because it won't handle shipping otherwise. The only way to get truly ripe fruit is to pick it yourself.

Dutchie

Jenn said:
Fruit picked under ripe does NOT gain any more nutrients. Changing color or becoming softer is not the same thing as ripe. Ripe fruit gets canned, because it won't handle shipping otherwise. The only way to get truly ripe fruit is to pick it yourself.

Ok.....well picking it myself is not an option,since I dont have a garden or even a balcony for that matter......
besides,this country doesn't have a climate to grow much fruit anyway.

Jenn

Then stick to potatoes and other root vegetables, if good fruit is not available by any version.

We are currently experiencing a run of awesome frozen strawberries (yeah, go figure). So we enjoy them while they are available, then stop eating them when they are gone.

Dutchie

Jenn said:
Then stick to potatoes and other root vegetables, if good fruit is not available by any version.

We are currently experiencing a run of awesome frozen strawberries (yeah, go figure). So we enjoy them while they are available, then stop eating them when they are gone.
I actually dont crave potato or root veggies,apart from red beets sometimes and onion&entire allium family give me issues. root season is also over here.i hardly feellike any veggie,except the ones that give me problems such as onions,tomatoproducts,bell peppers,pumpkin. i guess fructose is indeed addicting to me,as i dont know any limit in regards ro. Eating and aftetwards they cause bloating,depression/other moodswings,fatigue possibly?