Fruits - Best "bang For Buck"

stressucks

Which fruits have the best health to cost ratio?

Which do I need to buy organic?
What are the easiest to prepare?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Orange juice from fresh oranges. I do not buy organic and I buy it by the box. A box last me a little over a week.

J

j.

If you have some time, maybe potato for cooked potato juice. Has nutritional benefits similar to the popular fruits.

loess

Definitely oranges by the case! If you can find a wholesaler in your area, you can often get even better prices than buying cases from the grocery stores. Right now I am paying $22 for a box of 88 conventional oranges. The navels are just getting into season.

Dates seem expensive but actually they are pretty cost effective if you consider the sugar content to dollar/lb ratio. If you mailorder dates in bulk it can be cheaper than buying them from the grocery and you are getting better quality dates if you buy them direct from the farm during date season. See my date thread for more info.

Also, check asian/Thai markets for interesting fruits if you get tired of OJ or just want some variety. Things like rambutan, lychee, mango, persimmon, young coconut are sometimes cheaper there than at conventional grocery markets.

Searchable database of wholesale produce companies

slayers

Orange juice!
I also buy a case of 100 oranges (usually 5 are rotten) for $22-28.. Usually last me a week or so

dukez07

I don't understand the hysteria surrounding oranges. According to to the cron-o-meter, they are not exactly that special in terms of nutritional content.

I know bananas are supposed to be toxic, but if you eat 10 bananas versus 10 oranges, the nutritonal profile of the banana is in a different universe to the orange (which just seems to be sugar and water).

Peat says that oranges are super high in potassium, but the cron-o-meter tells a different story. Perhaps the cron-o-meter is wrong (although, isn't it based on some sort of national database that tests this stuff?).

J

j.

Bananas have serotonin, straches, oranges don't. Oranges have a substance that inhibits the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, I don't know if bananas do.

loess

Strained oranges/OJ = widely available year-round, most of the sugar uptake occurs quickly before bacteria lower in the gut have an opportunity to feed on it, more nutritious in quantity than plain sugar water. Nothing *that* special about oranges, and remember RP likes make recommendations that are pretty much universally accessible and inexpensive in order to empower people to begin healing themselves.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals