Fruit With Protein

leo

Peat says to pair proteins with fruit/sugar always. However most fruits have vitamin c and if paired with meats, increase iron absorption. Then we have to have the coffee/tea to reduce the absorption.

Would it be just as effective to just not have fruit when eating red meats?

thnx

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I do not eat any fruits with meat, thats when I bring in the Mexican Coke, or milk with sugar.

J

j.

Fruits should go with non-meat proteins. When eating meats, have coffee or coke.

OP
L

leo

Charlie what does the milk/sugar do when eating the meat?

I went through hell to get off cokes years ago. We don't have any safe ones where I live and I just don't want to revisit drinking cokes with HFCS.

At home I have no problems, but when eating out I would feel silly ordering milk with my meal. And restaurants here don't always have decaf coffee....regular coffee keeps me up at night.

What would be a good substitute to eat with the meats to avoid the iron absorption? Is there nothing else?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
leo said:
Charlie what does the milk/sugar do when eating the meat?

It tastes great! :P

OP
L

leo

Yeah but does it block the iron?

I used to drink milk/sugar with all my meals when I was a kid. I do love it and will do it at home, but I admit I feel silly drinking that when all my friends are having wine! LOL

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
leo said:
Yeah but does it block the iron?

I used to drink milk/sugar with all my meals when I was a kid. I do love it and will do it at home, but I admit I feel silly drinking that when all my friends are having wine! LOL

I use coffee to block iron.

Ari

The most commonly used iron "blockers" by people are tea, coffee, and wine (tea and wine aren't used much by peat crowd as far as I know)

but

Dairy and egg yolks also inhibit iron absorption

http://www.nutritionmd.org/health_care_ ... ition.html

-----

As far as a low vitamin C sugar source, honey and dates are both good. honey pairs with eggs well. Dates pair better with meat imo.

A honey milk drink would be good too

Actually, speaking of dates, I guess any dried fruit would be high sugar low vitamin c, but of course then you have to watch for histamine
---

To be honest I haven't really found a way to make meat digest super fast and easy.. I try to avoid it really. I just eat eggs and liver and oysters and gelatin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

dukez07

Sorry, I'm a noob here.

Just trying to get to grips with what you guys are eating.

Can somebody explain to me how Mexican coke is useful on this diet? According to its wikipedia page, it is possible that it might be sweetened with fructose corn syrup - in levels apparantly comparable with other sugary junk drinks. I don't mind consuming fructose in the form of fruit, but this seems like one step too far for me.

Do I need to just get over the fact that fructose isn't as bad as what we think it is? Should I be consuming corn syrup by the bottle? Why aren't we doing that? If it's such a great form of fuel for the body?

It would be great if people could share what they think with this.

I'm taking in milk (about 2 quarts), aboout 15 oranages per day (yes, it's a b**** peeling them - but I prefer the real thing - I know, comes with fibre... bad), organic grass fed beef (about 200g per day)... and, that's it, at the moment.

I came to this thread because I want to find a carb source that I can enjoy whilst eating my beef (my favourite meal of the day - milk is boring). But, i am indeed worried about the rapid increase of iron.

I guess that coffee, with lots of sugar might do the job. Just got to hope it doesn't keep me awake for the night.

I am tempted just to have a few bananas, even though I want to avoid starch completely. I would much rather eat a few raw bananas than a cooked potato. Ray Peat has already condemned bananas though, I am thinking - hence I never hear about them. I would say I react more favourably to bananas than potatoes.

J

j.

Coke is something to use as a source of sugar when you can't get orange juice or fruits.

Fructose isn't bad.

dukez07

What about corn syrup? Would you keep some around in your house to consume, if it wasn't all that bad? Do you keep some around?

In my mind, corn syrup is man made, so surely that makes it pure junk? Staying away from anything that is man made is usually a good course of approach to things?

J

j.

dukez07 said:
What about corn syrup? Would you keep some around in your house to consume, if it wasn't all that bad? Do you keep some around?

No, I get enough fructose from orange juice and fruits. Sugar with the minerals in fruits is processed better.

jyb

I was also asking myself those questions about corn derived sweeteners, indeed why would they be a problem if they seem to digest easily. But for RP they raise flags either in intrinsic nature (degraded starch -- so actually not cleanly digested?) or purity (heavy metals and microbial enzyme residue).

dukez07

Or is that corn syrup is like the crack cocaine of fructose, whereby it assaults your system at once, reigning blow after blow, with your body trying to keep up with the processing of it? I mean, I assume there is an acute high you get from corn syrup, which, like sugar, can cause excitability in those who are suspect to such reactions.

Fruit seems far more steady, not to mention it has far less fructose than some of these sugary drinks. I'm just thinking aloud here, I know very little about the subject. I may ask Mr Peat about it, if I can manage to get a reply.

jyb

dukez07 said:
Fruit seems far more steady, not to mention it has far less fructose than some of these sugary drinks.

It is more steady due to minerals, not due to less fructose, as otherwise sugary drinks (those with sucrose) have same fructose ratio as in fruit juice.

J

j.

dukez07 said:
Or is that corn syrup is like the crack cocaine of fructose, whereby it assaults your system at once, reigning blow after blow, with your body trying to keep up with the processing of it? I mean, I assume there is an acute high you get from corn syrup, which, like sugar, can cause excitability in those who are suspect to such reactions.

Fruit seems far more steady, not to mention it has far less fructose than some of these sugary drinks. I'm just thinking aloud here, I know very little about the subject. I may ask Mr Peat about it, if I can manage to get a reply.

I asked him about the bad reactions I got from HFCS, and not from table sugar or sugar from fruit, and he mentioned it might contain some mercury. Anyway, here is the response:

Ray Peat said:
I think it was around that time that some of the HFCS factories were found to be leaving mercury in some of the sweetener, so that might be a possible explanation. But the normally produced HFCS contains a lot of starch-like material, besides the fructose and glucose, and I think that material would be able to cause allergic reactions.

Mittir

RP mentioned this study in KMUD Sugar II interview that showed HFCS has 4-5 times more
carbohydrate than it is labeled. This has been mentioned several times before in this forum.
I am posting it again

"Carbohydrate Analysis of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Containing Commercial Beverages
Paulin Nadi Wahjudi1, Emmelyn Hsieh1, Mary E Patterson2, Catherine S Mao2 and WN Paul Lee1,2
1 Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute, Torrance, CA
2 Pediatric, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA

ABSTRACT

The carbohydrate analysis of HFCS is based on methods which first hydrolyze the syrup into simple sugars before quantitative analysis. We have examined whether HFCS can be hydrolyzed under the same conditions suitable for hydrolyzing sucrose. A new GC/MS method for the quantitation of fructose and glucose as their methoxyamine derivatives and 13C labeled recovery standards was used to determine the carbohydrate content of HFCS in 10 commercial beverages. Samples were analyzed before and after acid hydrolysis. The carbohydrate contents in commercial beverages determined without acid hydrolysis were in agreement with the carbohydrate contents provided on the food labels. However, the carbohydrate contents of beverages determined after acid hydrolysis were substantially (4–5 fold) higher than the listed values of carbohydrates. As fructose and glucose in HFCS may exist as monosaccharides, disaccharides and/or oligosaccharides, analysis of the carbohydrate content of HFCS containing samples may yield widely different results depending on the degree of hydrolysis of the oligosaccharides. With inclusion of mild acid hydrolysis, all samples showed significantly higher fructose and glucose content than the listed values of carbohydrates on the nutrition labels. The underestimation of carbohydrate content in beverages may be a contributing factor in the development of obesity in children.

LucyL

dukez07 said:

In my mind, corn syrup is man made, so surely that makes it pure junk? Staying away from anything that is man made is usually a good course of approach to things?

Corn syrup is almost pure glucose. Enzymes convert the corn syrup glucose to fructose, which is mixed back with some corn syrup to make the "high-fructose" mix. Corn syrup was a very popular sweetener in recipes, my mom always had a bottle.
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Corn-Syrup.html

Most Peat followers I think avoid it because it's not a natural glucose, and natural fructose is better than natural glucose anyway.