Fruit Juice And Triglycerides

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

A lot of people are concerned about the possibility that sugar/fructose can increase triglycerides and this is worsened when doctors tell their patients to stay away from ALL sugar when their triglycerides are elevated.

I decided to write an article on whether fruit juice contributes to elevated triglycerides or not and if fruit juice should be avoided or not.

Does fruit juice increase triglycerides? » MenElite

meatbag

Nice article and references! Do you consume mostly oj for fruit intake?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nice article and references! Do you consume mostly oj for fruit intake?
Thanks! Yes mainly OJ at the moment. I'm juicing 1 grapefruit and 3 oranges twice daily and that gives me about 1L of juice. I want to juice pineapple, but need to get a masticating juicer first. In the summer I'll probably juice apples, pomegranates, etc.

Store bought fruit juice is usually weeks/ months old and usually totally loses any aroma of the fruit :vomit:

J

jb116

Good article Hans. Just wanted to chime in, I've been drinking 1.53 L of Simply oj daily for the past 3 years. I only imagine even greater effects if I could afford the time and money to use fresh oranges at that amount.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Store bought fruit juice is usually weeks/ months old and usually totally loses any aroma of the fruit :vomit:
Yes, agreed. I'm not a fan of store-bought fruit juice and it's a real struggle to get a good quality juice.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good article Hans. Just wanted to chime in, I've been drinking 1.53 L of Simply oj daily for the past 3 years. I only imagine even greater effects if I could afford the time and money to use fresh oranges at that amount.
Thanks man. The ultimate goal is to have your own orchard. :D

opson123

This is from a reddit post. Though I think it's pretty common knowledge here.
"Fresh-squeezed" is marketing. You can deliver orange juice year-round in three ways:
  1. buy fresh oranges and squeeze them yourself.
  2. squeeze the oranges, remove most of the water and freeze the concentrate. This is sold as frozen concentrate.
  3. squeeze the oranges, then separate all the components of the juice mechanically and chemically. Store the various components in huge tanks - sometimes for years. Then mix it with flavors and preservatives, bottle it, and sell it before it separates again. This is sold as fresh squeezed, because it's never been frozen.
Unless you physically see method 1, method 2 is far, far fresher.

So squeeze yourself or buy frozen concentrate.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

The problem where I live is that even fresh oranges in season are acidic. Truly sweet oranges are once in a blue moon.

So sadly that's why I don't bother anymore. Shame because sweet orange juice is the nectar of the gods.

Inaut

@mrchibbs I typically buy Oasis OJ with pulp...Strain it and juice two or three fresh oranges for a pints worth... I know, not ideal but we do what we can, how and when we can.... :(

Cloudhands

Thanks! Yes mainly OJ at the moment. I'm juicing 1 grapefruit and 3 oranges twice daily and that gives me about 1L of juice. I want to juice pineapple, but need to get a masticating juicer first. In the summer I'll probably juice apples, pomegranates, etc.
Not worried about oestrogenic properties of grapefruit?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Not worried about oestrogenic properties of grapefruit?
Not really.
The Effect of Grapefruit Intake on Endogenous Serum Estrogen Levels in Postmenopausal Women
"Whole grapefruit intake had significant effects on endogenous E1S. Peak effects were seen at 8 hr, increasing by 26% from baseline. No changes in mean E1 or E2 with whole fruit intake were observed. In contrast, fresh juice, bottled juice, and soda intake all had significant lowering effects on E2."

"Whole Grapefruit
There were no overall statistically significant changes in mean E1 or E2 at 24 h after starting grapefruit intake, over the 2 wk of regular intake or at 1 wk after stopping grapefruit intake. Mean E1S was 15.7% higher at 24 h (P = 0.008) and 11.2% higher over the 2 wk of regular intake (P = 0.016); mean E1S returned to baseline at 1 wk after stopping intake.

Fresh Juice
Mean E1 was 8.8% lower at 24 h (P = 0.042); no other statistically significant effects on mean E1 were observed over the 2-wk intervention. Mean E2 was statistically significantly lower at all 3 time points: 12.2% lower at 24 h (P = 0.015), 6.7% lower over the 2 wk of regular intake (P = 0.042), and 13.1% lower after stopping intake (P = 0.023). There were no statistically significant changes in mean E1S at any of the 3 time points."

A slight increase in estrone-S. More long term studies are needed for sure, but having 2 a day isn't a concern for me.