Fructose, Weston Price, Growing Back Bald Spots On Temples

F

Frama

Hey,

yesterday I purchased Hair like a fox on Amazon; a very interesting read.

I am in my mid 40's, but fitter than most younger ones, working out a lot, eating based on the Weston Price Guidelines.
Nevertheless I have bald spots on the temple which I got many years ago as a young man; I would love to grow them back ( may hair status is stable since many years, my morning temperature is on average about 98.4 degrees, my heart rate is about 65 BPM, but I am in very good shape, so that is in my opinion no indication of a slow metabolism).

Danny's nutrition recommendations differ quite a bit from the Weston Price guidelines ( grains, legumes, Fermented Cod Liver Oil, low fructose (my own take to keep a low body fat percentage))
I entered Danny's nutritional recommendations into Cronometer.com but was not able to fulfill all the daily nutritional requirements. Therefore I would like to ask you to share a screenshot or so of your Cronometer, if you don't mind.
In addition to that I would like to read your take on the opinion that too much fructose damages the arteries, lead to non alcoholic fatty liver desease and to aging in general.

I would very much appreciate your answers.

Thanks in advance for your help
Frank

fradon

Hey,

I am in my mid 40's, but fitter than most younger ones, working out a lot, eating based on the Weston Price Guidelines.
Nevertheless I have bald spots on the temple which I got many years ago as a young man; I would love to grow them back ( may hair status is stable since many years, my morning temperature is on average about 98.4 degrees, my heart rate is about 65 BPM, but I am in very good shape, so that is in my opinion no indication of a slow metabolism).

Danny's nutrition recommendations differ quite a bit from the Weston Price guidelines ( grains, legumes, Fermented Cod Liver Oil, low fructose (my own take to keep a low body fat percentage))
I entered Danny's nutritional recommendations into Cronometer.com but was not able to fulfill all the daily nutritional requirements. Therefore I would like to ask you to share a screenshot or so of your Cronometer, if you don't mind.
In addition to that I would like to read your take on the opinion that too much fructose damages the arteries, lead to non alcoholic fatty liver desease and to aging in general.

Frank

from most of what i've read it is unbound fructose that can be toxic. when fructose is bound to glucose there seems to be less problems but when it is taken on its own isolated or in the form of high fructose corn syrup there lies the problem. it raises uric acid, it can cause copper deficienices, fatty liver, and bunch of other stuff. but fructose does lower estrogen.

another website said that a safe level would be no more than 25grams of fructose per day. which is about i can of soda.

Hugh Johnson

from most of what i've read it is unbound fructose that can be toxic. when fructose is bound to glucose there seems to be less problems but when it is taken on its own isolated or in the form of high fructose corn syrup there lies the problem. it raises uric acid, it can cause copper deficienices, fatty liver, and bunch of other stuff. but fructose does lower estrogen.

another website said that a safe level would be no more than 25grams of fructose per day. which is about i can of soda.
Sounds like bs. Do you have any sources?

BibleBeliever

I linked this on another thread but here it is again...
Fructose Metabolism: Relation to Food Intake & Metabolic Dysfunction

In excess, it clearly stresses the liver by causing depletion of ATP.
Fructose isn't necessarily catabolic, but it appears generally much less anabolic than glucose/starch. So if you want efficient anabolism, I think having at least 75/25 glucose to fructose is reasonable.
Doubtful. Most fruits naturally are about 50/50 glucose to fructose.
If fructose causes issues, then it probably means the person just needs more copper, potassium, b-vitamins, chromium and manganese.

Ray is pro uric acid, acts like an antioxidant:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/10/04/uric-acid-as-an-antioxidant/

If fructose causes issues, then it probably means the person just needs more copper, potassium, b-vitamins, chromium and manganese.

Uric Acid as an Antioxidant – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
I think the fiber and antioxidants are the factors in fruit that protect the liver from the fructose. Uric acid is far downstream from the ATP depletion.
My point is that the goal of eating should generally be anabolism, and in that context fructose has little to no value compared to starch. No bodybuilder worth their salt will try to build muscle on a post-workout meal of fruit.
If you are eating for immediate energy ie catabolism, then fructose has more value, as does fat, and caffeine and other drugs, which isn't really eating

paymanz

I think the fiber and antioxidants are the factors in fruit that protect the liver from the fructose. Uric acid is far downstream from the ATP depletion.
My point is that the goal of eating should generally be anabolism, and in that context fructose has little to no value compared to starch. No bodybuilder worth their salt will try to build muscle on a post-workout meal of fruit.
If you are eating for immediate energy ie catabolism, then fructose has more value, as does fat, and caffeine and other drugs, which isn't really eating
At least in some studies fructose shown to be more anabolic to bones.

Kartoffel

Maybe it is, but other studies will say otherwise... I personally think the increased phosphate excretion wouldn't favor bone anabolism

Bone quality and strength are greater in growing male rats fed fructose compared with glucose. - PubMed - NCBI
Fructose consumption does not worsen bone deficits resulting from high-fat feeding in young male rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Diets High in Fat or Fructose Differentially Modulate Bone Health and Lipid Metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI
The effect of feeding different sugar-sweetened beverages to growing female Sprague-Dawley rats on bone mass and strength. - PubMed - NCBI

"Differences in bone and mineral measurements appeared most pronounced between rats drinking glucose versus fructose-sweetened beverages. Rats provided the glucose-sweetened beverage had reduced femur and tibia total P, reduced P and Ca intake and increased urinary Ca excretion compared to the rats provided the fructose-sweetened beverage. The results suggested that glucose rather than fructose exerted more deleterious effects on mineral balance and bone." (Tsanzi et al. 2008)

Your statement about fructose causing ATP depletion in the liver is misleading. First of all, fructose consumption doesn't "deplete" ATP in the sense you are implying. In some studies, high fructose consumption slightly lowers ATP, but fructose actually helps cells to maintain adequate ATP levels under severe stress. Also, lower baseline levels of ATP seem to be beneficial under some circumstances.

"In conclusion, protection by fructose against toxicity of cyanide, oligomycin, and CCCP was mediated by glycolytic ATP formation rather than by preservation of the mitochondrial membrane potential. These findings support the hypothesis that inhibition of cellular ATP formation is a crucial event in the progression of irreversible cell injury." (Nieminen et al. 1994)

ATP depletion rather than mitochondrial depolarization mediates hepatocyte killing after metabolic inhibition. - PubMed - NCBI

"The extent of apoptosis inhibition correlated with the severity of ATP depletion, and TNF-induced apoptosis was restored when ATP was repleted by increasing the extracellular phosphate concentration. Our study demonstrates that TNF-induced hepatic apoptosis can be selectively and reversibly blocked upstream of mitochondrial dysfunction by ketohexose-mediated ATP depletion." (Latta et al. 2000)

Metabolic Depletion of Atp by Fructose Inversely Controls Cd95- and Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor 1–Mediated Hepatic Apoptosis

Last edited:

ddjd

Hey,

Frank
Regrowth realistically is highly unlikely

Dhair

Hey,

Frank
I am not too sure why a grown man in his 40s is so concerned about regrowing a little a hair.
My suggestion would be to read some of Ray's articles and listen to the interviews on YouTube in which he discusses fructose.
Also, being lean or "in good shape" is not always indicative of a healthy metabolism.
Good luck.

Bone quality and strength are greater in growing male rats fed fructose compared with glucose. - PubMed - NCBI
Fructose consumption does not worsen bone deficits resulting from high-fat feeding in young male rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Diets High in Fat or Fructose Differentially Modulate Bone Health and Lipid Metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI
The effect of feeding different sugar-sweetened beverages to growing female Sprague-Dawley rats on bone mass and strength. - PubMed - NCBI

"Differences in bone and mineral measurements appeared most pronounced between rats drinking glucose versus fructose-sweetened beverages. Rats provided the glucose-sweetened beverage had reduced femur and tibia total P, reduced P and Ca intake and increased urinary Ca excretion compared to the rats provided the fructose-sweetened beverage. The results suggested that glucose rather than fructose exerted more deleterious effects on mineral balance and bone." (Tsanzi et al. 2008)

Your statement about fructose causing ATP depletion in the liver is misleading. First of all, fructose consumption doesn't "deplete" ATP in the sense you are implying. In some studies, high fructose consumption slightly lowers ATP, but fructose actually helps cells to maintain adequate ATP levels under severe stress. Also, lower baseline levels of ATP seem to be beneficial under some circumstances.

"In conclusion, protection by fructose against toxicity of cyanide, oligomycin, and CCCP was mediated by glycolytic ATP formation rather than by preservation of the mitochondrial membrane potential. These findings support the hypothesis that inhibition of cellular ATP formation is a crucial event in the progression of irreversible cell injury." (Nieminen et al. 1994)

ATP depletion rather than mitochondrial depolarization mediates hepatocyte killing after metabolic inhibition. - PubMed - NCBI

"The extent of apoptosis inhibition correlated with the severity of ATP depletion, and TNF-induced apoptosis was restored when ATP was repleted by increasing the extracellular phosphate concentration. Our study demonstrates that TNF-induced hepatic apoptosis can be selectively and reversibly blocked upstream of mitochondrial dysfunction by ketohexose-mediated ATP depletion." (Latta et al. 2000)

Metabolic Depletion of Atp by Fructose Inversely Controls Cd95- and Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor 1–Mediated Hepatic Apoptosis
Dietary fructose vs. glucose stimulates nephrocalcinogenesis in female rats. - PubMed - NCBI
A high sucrose diet decreases the mechanical strength of bones in growing rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Not surprised that sugar is better than fat in two of your above studies. These two studies use diet instead of liquid, which is more realistic.

The latter two studies about the liver are interesting, but the practical takeaway for me is simply to reach for fructose if I am injected with cyanide/TNF, not to chronically eat it all day.

Kartoffel

Your statement about fructose causing ATP depletion in the liver is misleading. First of all, fructose doesn't "deplete" ATP. In some studies, high fructose consumption slightly lowers ATP, but fructose actually helps cells to maintain adequate ATP levels under severe stress. Also, lower baseline levels of ATP seem to be beneficial in various ways.

Dietary fructose vs. glucose stimulates nephrocalcinogenesis in female rats. - PubMed - NCBI
A high sucrose diet decreases the mechanical strength of bones in growing rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Not surprised that sugar is better than fat in two of your above studies. These two studies use diet instead of liquid, which is more realistic.

The latter two studies about the liver are interesting, but the practical takeaway for me is simply to reach for fructose if I am injected with cyanide/TNF, not to chronically eat it all day.

Here is another study finding sucrose superior to starch with regards to bone mineralization and calcium utilization.
[Effects of administering diets with starch or sucrose basis on certain parameters of calcium metabolism in the young, growing rat]. - PubMed - NCBI

Dr. B

Uric Acid as an Antioxidant – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

do we need chromium? isnt it found in very few foods, broccoli is the main food providing it? liver and orange juice barely have any chromium at least relative to rda. even manganese is tough from what I remember, pineapple juice and coconut water are great sources though