Fructose & PUFA (Evil Combination)

Steve

I'm a little confused.

Fructose & PUFA is an evil combination from what I've read......terrible for the liver.
What if a person following Peat's recommendations has some extra fat on their body that they are trying to lose?

When that fat is released into the body some of it will be PUFA won't it? So should everyone that has extra fat avoid eating any fructose until they are as lean as they wish to be?

I would think this would apply to the majority of people here since most people have extra fat that they want to lose. I'm just not sure if I'm understanding the concept correctly though.

OP
S

Steve

I've read about saturated fat & fructose both being protective, but then I read or heard that fructose combined with PUFA was just as harmful as alcohol combined with PUFA for the liver.
Take away the PUFA & everything is ok.
But if a person has excess fat which they are trying to lose, then they will be releasing PUFA into the body until they reach their desired level of leanness.
So every time they eat fructose it will be combined with PUFA.

bistecca

I've read about saturated fat & fructose both being protective, but then I read or heard that fructose combined with PUFA was just as harmful as alcohol combined with PUFA for the liver.
Take away the PUFA & everything is ok.
But if a person has excess fat which they are trying to lose, then they will be releasing PUFA into the body until they reach their desired level of leanness.
So every time they eat fructose it will be combined with PUFA.

You're probably referring to a post made by Chris Masterjohn which showed, like you said, that fructose+corn oil induced the most NAFLD. PUFA and Fructose together does put stress on the liver and make it harder to export fat formed from fructose. But an important note to make about that study is it was done under a methionine and choline deficient diet. You get methionine from muscle meats and choline from organ meats. So if you eat liver or egg yolks you should be okay as long as you're consuming a fat source that is rich in fat soluble vitamins and low in PUFA. Dietary saturated fat will help cool the fire that pufa stokes as it's metabolized.

milkboi

You're probably referring to a post made by Chris Masterjohn which showed, like you said, that fructose+corn oil induced the most NAFLD. PUFA and Fructose together does put stress on the liver and make it harder to export fat formed from fructose. But an important note to make about that study is it was done under a methionine and choline deficient diet. You get methionine from muscle meats and choline from organ meats. So if you eat liver or egg yolks you should be okay as long as you're consuming a fat source that is rich in fat soluble vitamins and low in PUFA. Dietary saturated fat will help cool the fire that pufa stokes as it's metabolized.

Can a diet low in methionine be compensated for with extra choline?

bistecca

Can a diet low in methionine be compensated for with extra choline?
I don't know - and also that study i've referred to was done in rats. I'm not even sure what levels constitute "low" in humans. And I believe that most sources of choline also contain some methionine. I know ray recommends limiting methionine, but in my eyes that doesn't mean eating none. Eating some muscle meat and some broth and some organs should give you good quantities of each.. The way I see it is we should be eating nose to tail animals.. eating the quantities and types of protein that are available in the animal. That means you'd be foolish to eat only t-bone steaks(would result in too much methionine/tryptohpan) and not eat the shanks or the organs(which provide glycine and choline).. But it would probably be equally foolish to avoid all muscle meat..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals