Fructose Promotes Leaky Gut, Endotoxemia, And Liver Fibrosis

Fractality

For what it's worth, Ray says,

"People have told me that when they looked for articles on fructose in PubMed they couldn't find anything except articles about its bad effects. There are two reasons for that. PubMed, like the earlier Index Medicus, represents the material in the National Library of Medicine, and is a medical, rather than a scientific, database, and there is a large amount of important research that it ignores. And because of the authoritarian and conformist nature of the medical profession, when a researcher observes something that is contrary to majority opinion, the title of the publication is unlikely to focus on that. In too many articles in medical journals, the title and conclusions positively misrepresent the data reported in the article."

Also, about these kinds of studies:

"In 1963 and 1964, experiments (Carroll, 1964) showed that the effects of glucose and fructose were radically affected by the type of fat in the diet. Although 0.6% of calories as polyunsaturated fat prevents the appearance of the Mead acid (which is considered to indicate a deficiency of essential fats) the "high fructose" diets consistently add 10% or more corn oil or other highly unsaturated fat to the diet. These large quantities of PUFA aren't necessary to prevent a deficiency, but they are needed to obscure the beneficial effects of fructose."
Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Maybe this, too, is a factor to consider:

Relationships Between Nutrition, Alcohol Use, and Liver Disease
"Malnutrition, regardless of its causes, can lead to liver damage and impaired liver function.....severe malnutrition also could lead to liver injury in adults...those who consume a substantial portion of their daily calories in the form of alcohol, often show evidence of malnutrition such as deficits in amino acids, proteins, and certain vitamins. These deficits can derive from an inadequate diet as well as from alcohol’s effects on these nutrients and their metabolism.....vitamin A deficits and excessive vitamin A levels can lead to liver damage, including fibrosis."

As mentioned by others in this thread, what were the rats eating previous to the fructose feeding and was the alcohol formation the problem?

In the 9/11 KMUD interview : Sugar, Cholesterol, Obesity and Heart Disease, Ray says fructose is protective even against liver damage from alcohol.

Liver fibrosis is the scarring from the body's attempts to heal liver damage. It seems plausible to me, that ill-fed rats suddenly exposed to fructose will start to heal, with some counterintuitive effects as described by those very familiar with eating disorder recovery, like here:

Time and Scope: Recovery Is Tough

"Food is nourishing and energizing so how on earth can it generate so much physical discomfort? Swelling, aching, exhaustion, palpitations, shortness of breath, pain, numbness, tingling, sweating, chills, hair loss, soreness, nausea, bloating…all because you are providing your body with the energy it has been denied for months or years?....
the process of rectifying an imminent disaster by re-feeding: hypoglycemia, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s, osteopenia and osteoporosis, acid reflux, dental enamel erosion, infertility, reproductive hormone inadequacies, depression, memory and retention degeneration, gastroparesis, Barrett’s esophagus, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver enzyme anomalies, kidney function anomalies, anemia, leukopenia…

Many long term eating disorder patients can be horrified by how chaotic their lab results appear once they enter a real recovery effort, when for years things have been stable and perhaps only marginally out of tolerance or just plain ‘normal’."

Notice the liver symptoms? These are all effects which eventually resolve with with persistent refeeding after restriction. They appear after you start to eat enough calories. The nutrient, fructose, is definitely a factor in the body's ability to reestablish a normally functioning body. The road there, however, can appear scary.

There is a need for us to realize that a symptom that appears in the context of finally eating enough, is a symptom of regeneration, not degeneration, and the body that finally has enough calories and nutrients will gradually work through it's own repair in a rational manner. The liver anomalies are a phase.
I can personally attest to that as I continue to enjoy my fruit juice, and yes, even my Pepsi with high fructose corn syrup, which is close to the same 50/50 glucose to fructose ratio as sucrose.

Yes, I am the same way, I am "addicted" to high quality orange juice, grape juice, apple juice. If I go for too long (say 1 day) without one of them, I notice it. I also notice it when I don't have lactose from goat milk. These sugars are all anti-stress.

sladerunner69

Yes, I am the same way, I am "addicted" to high quality orange juice, grape juice, apple juice. If I go for too long (say 1 day) without one of them, I notice it. I also notice it when I don't have lactose from goat milk. These sugars are all anti-stress.

Given it has been about 8 months since this statement, how has the fibrosis developed? Are you still able to breath?