Fructose/Liver Function

Nicholas

is anyone aware of fructose actually being a burden to the liver in certain situations?

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

ok, thank you. i get fructose from mostly fruit but i do drink apple juice as well and had suspicions that the apple juice is not ideal.

LucH

Nicholas said:
post 104755 ok, thank you. i get fructose from mostly fruit but i do drink apple juice as well and had suspicions that the apple juice is not ideal.
keep the whole fruit, not the juice only. [highlight=yellow]You need fibber with fructose[/highlight]. 2 or 3 fruits are ok for most people. If you take your carbs from fruits and veggies, a bit more is ok but keep in mind some fruits are very high in fructose. If you have diabetes, you should be careful ...
Apple,currant, datte, pear, mango, banana, grape are more than 6 g / 100 g. So moderate these ones. I won't go above 50 g fructose.
:yellohello
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:

Joocy_J

LucH said:
Nicholas said:
post 104755 ok, thank you. i get fructose from mostly fruit but i do drink apple juice as well and had suspicions that the apple juice is not ideal.
keep the whole fruit, not the juice only. [highlight=yellow]You need fibber with fructose[/highlight]. 2 or 3 fruits are ok for most people. If you take your carbs from fruits and veggies, a bit more is ok but keep in mind some fruits are very high in fructose. If you have diabetes, you should be careful ...
Apple,currant, datte, pear, mango, banana, grape are more than 6 g / 100 g. So moderate these ones. I won't go above 50 g fructose.
LucH

lmao at this. ***t advice right here

Brian

If you are having trouble metabolizing fructose it's usually from a combination of free fatty acids, insulin resistance, and fatty liver. Consuming a lot of fructose under these circumstances will probably just make you feel worse. Deficiency in potassium, magnesium, protein and B vitamins also play a role in proper fructose metabolism, but I think the above conditions are the more common main problems.

So if you want to use fructose as one of your main fuels you need to the ground work first.

For example:

Eat low fat and use high dose aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine to restore insulin sensitivity, lower FFA, and reverse fatty liver. And at least initially regular doses of thiamine, biotin, and B6 as well.

Or if you prefer not to use supplements this can usually be accomplished (especially in young people) by eating low fat while doing regular muscle building exercise and having a lifestyle where you are on your feet and moving throughout the day.

But there's usually no reason why you can't or shouldn't combine the two approaches.

But the gist is that diets high in both fructose and fat don't work unless you already have a high amount of muscle to metabolize your fat intake.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Brian said:
post 104799 If you are having trouble metabolizing fructose it's usually from a combination of free fatty acids, insulin resistance, and fatty liver. Consuming a lot of fructose under these circumstances will probably just make you feel worse. Deficiency in potassium, magnesium, protein and B vitamins also play a role in proper fructose metabolism, but I think the above conditions are the more common main problems.

So if you want to use fructose as one of your main fuels you need to the ground work first.

For example:

Eat low fat and use high dose aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine to restore insulin sensitivity, lower FFA, and reverse fatty liver. And at least initially regular doses of thiamine, biotin, and B6 as well.

Or if you prefer not to use supplements this can usually be accomplished (especially in young people) by eating low fat while doing regular muscle building exercise and having a lifestyle where you are on your feet and moving throughout the day.

But there's usually no reason why you can't or shouldn't combine the two approaches.

But the gist is that diets high in both fructose and fat don't work unless you already have a high amount of muscle to metabolize your fat intake.

thanks, Brian. at this point, i'm not sure i have any issues metabolizing fructose - just that i'm developing broken capillaries on my face and i can only assume that it's liver related (i'm 31).....along with fairly recent intro. of apple juice in diet. i ate whole fruit and OJ quite a bit before that. i've gotten almost half my carbs from roots for a long time now, so i don't feel the need to be dependent on fructose alone. The past couple of weeks i've decreased my fat ratio and have noticed feeling more consistently better (i have a physically active job, too). after drinking AJ sometimes i feel a little spacey and almost bordering on a headache.

LucH

Joocy_J said:
I'm about to change my mind about the pre-supposed glycation (AGE) after reading RP post and one or two other links.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/sugar-issues.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714

I need some more explanations about sugar oxidation (balance between glucose & fructose in sucrose).
[highlight=yellow]How much sugar is needed when eating 30 g protein, in order not to raise cortisol levels.[/highlight]
I suppose 50 g carbs as amount would be adequate for a meal, provided there is a balance between fructose and glucose. If I've well understood.

I must read those links again. Impact of fats (saturated is neutral - PUFA are deleterious). Too late, here. I'm going now to bed. Bye :hattip
LucH

Amount in One Orange
One medium-sized navel orange contains 17.56 grams of total carbohydrates, which includes 11.9 grams of natural sugar. Sucrose accounts for half of the total sugar. Another 23 percent of the total comes from glucose, while fructose represents 27 percent of the sugar in an orange. One navel orange has 69 calories. Almost 48 of the total calories come from sugar because each gram of sugar provides 4 calories, according to Iowa State University.

PS: If someone can set a link for better understanding: Not too chemical. Basic principles first.
Thanks for help. I can open a new trend / post if requested.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals