Fructose As Diabetes Treatment? As Effective As Anti-diabetic Drugs

Mauritio

belcanto

From the conclusion:

"In the current aggregate analyses of 18 controlled feeding trials with 209 subjects with type 1 and 2 diabetes, isocaloric fructose exchange for other carbohydrate decreased glycated blood proteins (aggregated glycated albumin and HbA1c) but not fasting glucose or insulin. The observed SMD reduction in glycated blood proteins may be considered clinically significant, because it was equivalent to an absolute reduction of ∼0.53%. This reduction exceeds the clinically meaningful threshold of ≥0.3% proposed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the development of new drugs for diabetes (29) and lies at the lower limit of efficacy expected for oral hypoglycemic agents (30). The lack of change in fasting glucose and insulin suggests that fructose consumption does not promote hepatic and systemic insulin resistance. Future meta-analyses of direct measures of insulin sensitivity would be of value."

So it seems the fructose helped the HbA1C but didn't help the fasting blood sugar. It did lower the A1c by about a half point.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Meta analyses can be made to say anything to anyone about anything. That’s my point. The conclusion is probably accurate but that is almost coincidental.

Fructose has gotten a bad rap in most of these meta analyses. It’s PC to hate on fructose.

Fish oil is blessed in these meta analyses.

So are statins. So are ED drugs.

Birdie

This is a worthless meta analysis. Not a study. But of course Dr. Peat is right.
And although RP is usually against synthetics, so I'd think granulated fructose, he recommends fruit.

I remember that Mittir used a lot of apple. I guess it was juice or cooked apple. Just remembering. He said you have to be careful with using apple juice because it is most commonly made from spoiled apples. Harder to find a good source.

Anyway, Mittir was saying he liked to use higher ratio fructose to glucose fruits.