Fructose And Endotoxin [edwardjedmonds]

Tom

Re: Fructose and Endotoxin

Maybe a 2:1 glucose to fructose ratio? I believe Peat mentioned this somewhere (or 1/3 of the carbs as fructose). That would normally be well below 18E% anyway.

Amazoniac

Maybe much higher than 2:1 to just get the benefits of blood sugar regulation..
The problem is that this question will affect the entire carbohydrate sources of the diet. If this is true, than it's best to consume starches paired with some sugary root vegetables, if you need the proportion closer to 1 then more fruits and less starches.

Tom

Amazoniac said:
Maybe much higher than 2:1 to just get the benefits of blood sugar regulation..
The problem is that this question will affect the entire carbohydrate sources of the diet. If this is true, than it's best to consume starches paired with some sugary root vegetables, if you need the proportion closer to 1 then more fruits and less starches.

Is there any evidence that > 2:1 glucose:fructose (or glucose : fructose+galactose) gives better glycemic control?

Tom

Amazoniac said:
I'm not sure Tom, but what I'm questioning is that if there's any benefit from decreasing the disparity since the blood sugar control we already seem to get by a small proportion of fructose in the meal.

Jaminet wrote an article showing that a 2:1 glucose:fructose was best for refilling glyocgen stores (and that 2:1 glucose to galactose was even better). He then concluded that his diet (3:1 glucose to fructose+galactose) was as good as Peat´s (1:1). It just seem odd to me that we cannot tolerate a 1:1 ratio given that this is the typical found in nature. Perhaps more worry should be about adding some fruits after/with a starchy meal rather than the other way around. Pears with 1:2 glucose:fructose would be a good choice. Just a pear for dessert or something.

Actually in the "old" days a "pear and lamb" diet was sometimes (and still is I suppose) used as a hypoallergenic elimination diet because the foods very rarely cause allergies.

fyo

Fructose alone is malabsorbed by 50%+ of the population, but sucrose is absorbed just fine. Malabsorbed fructose feeds endotoxin production, which causes systemic harm and all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Many sweeteners are also malabsorbed for various reason. This board has more writing on the topic with studies if you search 'fructose' 'malabsorb' something like that.

XPlus

Fructose is quite effective at depleting ATP (Mayes, 1993). That is not a good thing considering that when ATP is depleted, the cells will enter a stressed state. No ATP=comprised cell function.

Isn't that the result of higher state of metabolism.
If fructose simulates metabolism and then cells utilize more ATP, the question is what prevents ATP from being replenished. It's probably an illogical argument against fructose to imply that APT is nonrenewable.

Also, I suppose the presence of endotoxins is mainly a function of ingesting them directly from foods (i.e contaminated foods) or getting them from excess bacterial activity in the gut, especially when the gut is permeable.
Fixing these should take care of it, not limiting fructose.

fyo said:
Fructose alone is malabsorbed by 50%+ of the population, but sucrose is absorbed just fine. Malabsorbed fructose feeds endotoxin production, which causes systemic harm and all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Many sweeteners are also malabsorbed for various reason. This board has more writing on the topic with studies if you search 'fructose' 'malabsorb' something like that.

I sometimes used to confuse the irritability of juice from moldy fruits to fructose intolerance.
Maybe it is valid but my tolerance to fructose seems to be much better now, just like tolerance for milk.

According to livestrong.com "Most of the fructose used to make fructose powder comes from corn". This tells more about possible issues of fructose powders (i.e. GMO corn, toxic risdue of chemical processing, contamination with starch)

gretchen

I've been increasing saturated fat for the last year and think it's the way to go for me. However, I've decided to cycle carbs according to season. High carb hasn't worked for me the past few winters. I don't know, maybe if I'd stuck with Cytomel. It did nothing much except cause weight loss and breathlessness but , that could have been to taking it at the wrong time. Anyway, for now I'm having carbs in the summer and higher fat lower carb in fall and winter. Depending, I may add thyroid back, year round, or maybe just in winter. It's not just weight loss or vanity either. I really didn't feel well higher carb except in warm weather. I didn't eat much saturated fat pretty much my whole life whereas I've done high and low carb for years at a time. It's what made a difference. Carbs are fine but I'm not convinced they've solved my health issues and might actually have caused some of it.

Amazoniac

An allergic response to honey can be related to endotoxin due to a disproportionate amount of fructose in relation to glucose in some varieties, check this:

http://countryrubes.com/template/images/Honey_Crystallization.pdf

"It is natural for honey to crystallize since it is an over-saturated sugar solution. The two principal sugars in honey are fructose (fruit sugar) and glucose (grape sugar). The content of fructose and glucose in honey varies from one type of honey to the other. Generally, the fructose ranges from 30-44 % and glucose from 25-40%. The balance of these two major sugars is the main reason that leads to crystallization of honey, and the relative percentage of each determines whether it crystallizes rapidly or slowly. What crystallizes is the glucose, due to its lower solubility. Fructose is more soluble in water than glucose and will remain fluid. When glucose crystallizes, it separates from water and takes the form of tiny crystals. As the crystallization progresses and more glucose crystallizes, those crystals spread throughout the honey. The solution changes to a stable saturated form, and ultimately the honey becomes thick or crystallized.
Some honeys crystallize uniformly; some will be partially crystallized and form two layers, with the crystallized layer on the bottom of the jar and a liquid on top. Honeys also vary in the size of the crystals formed. Some form fine crystals and others large, gritty ones. The more rapid honey crystallizes, the finer the texture will be. Crystallized honey tends to set a lighter/paler colour than when liquid. This is due to the fact that glucose sugar tends to separate out in dehydrating crystals form, and that glucose crystals are naturally pure white. Darker honeys retain a brownish appearance."

"The time it will take the honey to crystallize depends mostly on the ratio of fructose to glucose, the glucose to water ratio. Honey high in glucose sugar, with a low fructose to glucose ratio will crystallize more rapidly, such as alfalfa, cotton, dandelion, mesquite, mustard and rape (brassica napus). Honey with a higher fructose to glucose ratio (containing less than 30% glucose) crystallizes quite slowly and can stay liquid for several years without special treatment, for example, robinia (black locust), sage, longan, tupelo and jujube/sidr (ziziphus spina-christi).
The higher the glucose and the lower the water content of honey, the faster the crystallization. Oppositely, honey with less glucose relative to water is a less saturated glucose solution and is slow to crystallize. Honey with heightened water content often crystallizes unevenly (not as a homogeneous mass) and separates into crystallized and liquid parts."

--
Absorption capacity of fructose in healthy adults. Comparison with sucrose and its constituent monosaccharides.

"The difference between the absorption capacity of fructose given as sucrose and fructose alone is striking (Figs 1 and 2)."
"It is readily apparent from Fig. 3 and Table 2 that the absorption capacity of fructose was greatly enhanced by the addition of glucose to the mixture in a dose dependent fashion. The greatest effect was seen with equivalent amounts of fructose and glucose, whereas an increasing fraction was malabsorbed as the amount of glucose added was diminished."

"In the present study we have shown that in the healthy state, large individual variations exist in the absorption capacity of fructose, and that the total absorption capacity is even lower than previously believed.[6] Some healthy individuals may fail to absorb as little as a 5g dose.
Furthermore, we have shown that ingestion of fructose as sucrose does not result in appreciable malabsorption and that the addition of glucose to fructose solutions promote fructose absorption in a dose dependent manner. Thus, it seems that malabsorption of fructose in fructose+glucose mixtures is only measurable if fructose is present in excess of glucose. It is now apparent that fructose malabsorption may be considered a normal phenomenon in the healthy state, in analogy with malabsorption of wheat starch[19 20] and up to 30-40g fructose may be malabsorbed without causing significant abdominal discomfort in the healthy state."

"The low absorption capacity of fructose given as the monosaccharide contrasts sharply with our finding of a very high absorption capacity of fructose ingested as sucrose. Studies using perfusion techniques have also suggested that sucrose is very efficiently absorbed.[21] This may either suggest an effect of the presence of glucose or of the process of hydrolysis or both. Earlier perfusion studies have shown that absorption rates of fructose from mixtures of equivalent amounts of fructose and glucose are similar to absorption rates of fructose from a corresponding amount of sucrose.[22 23] This is in accordance with our findings which strongly suggests that the presence of glucose is the crucial point."

"A transient fructose malabsorption has been described in infants and the phenomenon may be related to bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine.[33]"

No wonder why endotoxemia occurs in lab animals fed an excess of plain fructose.

--
Moderate dietary protein restriction alters the composition of gut microbiota and improves ileal barrier function in adult pig model : Scientific Reports
Biogenic amine - Wikipedia

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac Fascinating post thank you. Perhaps a reason why some people don't do well on sugar as the main source of carbohydrates and benefit from the glucose from starches?
I find it interesting too.

The attention here is often concentrated on starch, but various other foods can be problematic as well. The reason why I left a link about protein is because it's often overlooked. Toxins in the intestines tend to cause less problems when there's less animal protein around, even gelatin.

There's a fruit called atemoya, close to cherimoya, it's so sweet that many people I know are repulsed by it. A few of them that taste it for the first time enjoy it, but can't finish the whole fruit (fist-sized), sometimes they stop and reach something starchy like rice, corn or wheat cereal. I suppose that it's something related.
If the person is desperately in need for calories, those details become irrelevant and the person only realizes any excess later..

Xisca

nature gaves us a natural taste for sweetness, and also a natural "yuk-stop"!
We have no stop for starch...

I can eat a whole chirimoya at least, did not try atemoya.
Well, just stop when yuk... and go on 2 hours ahead, when your tongue call for it again!
We have forgotten to eat often since we do not survive on fruits anymore.

Amazoniac

Toxins in the intestines tend to cause less problems when there's less animal protein around, even gelatin.
It can't be a coincidence that most people that don't eat meat give up in steps, as discussed here (pg. 397).

Sometimes I have the impression that even the information that we seek is geared towards relief. I suspect that's why adults develop a selective attention, mostly because we're seeking solutions, not just figuring out how this world works; because once you more or less figure out how it works, there's good and bad and always something to solve. You buy something believing that it's improving you in some way, suddenly everything around you that resembles the recent purchase becomes evident.
But I digest.

It's a generalization but a relief can come from a belief that supports removing something that's causing you harm before it's even apparent:
Behavioral and neural correlates to multisensory detection of sick humans

Amazoniac

Review article: fructose malabsorption and the bigger picture

"Co-ingestion of glucose or galactose considerably enhances fructose absorption and this appears to occur via the apical GLUT2 mechanism (see above). Animal studies have indicated that this mechanism can be primed or suppressed under the influence of several conditions and specific factors. These are shown in Table 2. Whether such mechanisms operate in the human small intestine awaits investigation.

Other factors have been shown to alter fructose absorption without a satisfactory mechanism having been identified (Table 2). These include the elevation of fructose uptake induced by co-ingestion of amino acids35 or by the use of systemic or topical corticosteroids.36 Exposure to tumour necrosis factor-Diokine in a rabbit model reduced fructose absorption,37 suggesting a link between inflammation and the ability to absorb fructose."

"Consequences of malabsorbed fructose

Delivery of free fructose* and fructans** to the lumen of the distal small intestine and proximal large bowel may have potential clinical sequelae of importance and these might occur for any of several reasons.
*"Fraction of fructose present as a free hexose in excess of glucose"
**"the linear or branched fructose polymers are found in various plants including chicory roots Jerusalem and globe artichokes, garlic, onion, wheat, asparagus, leek, rye, barley and banana.11–13"​

Osmotic load
Being small molecules, fructose, and to a lesser extent FOS, will exert an osmotic effect and deliver more water with it to the distal small intestine and colon.42 Increasing the liquidity of luminal contents can affect gut motility, such as hastening transit. This effect is utilized by laxatives such as lactulose, sorbitol and polyethylene glycol.

Substrate for bacterial fermentation
Fructose and fructans are fermented by bacteria, yielding short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) and the gases, hydrogen, carbon dioxide and, in some, methane.43 Observations in vitro using faecal slurries and in vivo using breath hydrogen testing indicate that fructose and fructans are rapidly fermented by bacteria.44 It is probable, therefore, that such substrates are totally fermented in the very proximal large bowel and possibly distal small intestine, and that subsequent rapid gas formation might distend the lumen locally before the gas is absorbed or further metabolized. SCFA alter the pH of colonic contents, provide an energy substrate for the colonic epithelium, influence sodium and water exchange, and stimulate colonic motility.

Gastrointestinal motility
Malabsorption of a mixture of fructose (25 g) and sorbitol (5 g) accelerates small bowel transit.45 While the precise mechanism of this effect is unknown, there is evidence that the products of bacterial fermentation may activate feedback pathways that regulate gut motility.46 For example, in healthy subjects, ingestion of lactulose and infusion of SCFA directly into the caecum produced dose-dependent relaxation of the proximal stomach.47 Also, intraluminal infusion of a mixture of SCFA into the proximal colon increased colonic peristalsis in rats leading to faster colonic transit.48 This effect of fermentation products on gut motility may help to explain the altered bowel habit frequently reported in patients with IBS.

Prebiotic effect
Fructose and fructans may promote the growth of selective bacterial populations, especially bifidobacteria.1 This prebiotic effect has been postulated to carry several health benefits including improved calcium absorption with positive effects on bone turnover,49 improvement in lipid profiles50 and fasting glycaemia,51 protection against colorectal carcinogenesis,52 and therapeutic benefits in patients with Crohn's disease.53 Enthusiasm about such broad-ranging benefits has to date far outweighed solid evidence of actual benefit.

Promotion of mucosal biofilm
Some bacteria also utilize fructose to synthesize fructans as bacterial adherence factors. This is a major mechanism by which cariogenic bacteria adhere to the smooth enamel of teeth.54 Whether this applies to bacteria in the small or large intestine has not been ascertained, but dietary fructans increase the total number of bacteria adherent to the mucosa in the colon.55, 56 While such effects are generally interpreted as health-promoting in the colon, it may well not be the case. Fructan ingestion in rats has been associated with elevated epithelial proliferation and excessive mucin release (suggesting epithelial injury and irritation),55 and with increased mucus production, epithelial permeability and susceptibility to experimental salmonella colitis.57 Furthermore, ingestion of arabinoxylans, likely to contain xylo-oligosaccharides, also induces epithelial injury and increased susceptibility to carcinogens.58 FOS also promotes apoptosis of colonic epithelial cells in a model of acute DNA injury,59 an effect that might be beneficial in the prevention of neoplasia but detrimental in a patient with colitis.60 Few data exist in humans, except that mucus production is increased by the ingestion of fructans.61 Fructose malabsorption and fructan intake might then lead to the expansion of the mucosal biofilm in the distal small intestine. This potentially has detrimental effects, both by virtue of luminal fermentation and subsequent distension, and by mucosal injury as observed in the colon. Indeed, some evidence does suggest distal small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is present and responsible for many symptoms in a proportion of patients with IBS,62–65 and that this may be associated with fructose malabsorption.66

Gastro-oesophageal reflux
FOS ingestion induced greater gastro-oesophageal reflux and more heartburn than did placebo in a human study.67 This observation is consistent with the association found between reflux disease and symptoms of IBS. Altering dietary intake of fructans has yet to be evaluated as a therapy for reflux disease.

Depression
Fructose malabsorption has been associated with depression in young women with mood improvement following restriction of free fructose intake.68, 69 The mechanisms of these effects are poorly understood, but may involve low circulating levels of tryptophan, the precursor of serotonin.70 Such association is also consistent with the frequency of fatigue and lethargy in IBS."

jyb

nature gaves us a natural taste for sweetness, and also a natural "yuk-stop"!
We have no stop for starch...

I can eat a whole chirimoya at least, did not try atemoya.
Well, just stop when yuk... and go on 2 hours ahead, when your tongue call for it again!
We have forgotten to eat often since we do not survive on fruits anymore.

I don't follow you. The natural stop for starch is feeling full, provided you eat at normal speed. Bread, pizza, potatoes, rice, pancakes,... quickly fills up a stomach with weight and volume. I find that half the conventional restaurant serving size to be enough for satiety (in addition to whatever cream or cheese goes with it). In contrast I think there is less "yuk-stop" for sugary food like soda - you can ingest very large quantities throughout the day by just snacking on soda, and that's what some people do (especially in the US).

Xisca

Thanks for your comment, I try to develop:
I did not meant the quantity throughout the day but at one time.

Feeling full with starch can take time, and that's a big meal at one time. You cannot ingest that same quantity of sugar at one time. So, when eating carbs, you have to make a big meal with tips to slow glucose spike, like mixing with fat and protein and vegetables for some fiber.
It is also perfectly possible to feel full by a meal, but be able and even want to nibble on a piece of bred or chips. So really, I think that we are stopped earlier on the sweet taste.

If you really eat a lot of sweet sugar, you will feel disgusted, as we have just seen in another thread. Thus, the sweet eating is repeated during the day. With fruits, I have to eat every 2 hours or so.
My guess on what you say about soda, (as a person who managed to finish her 1st coca-cola around the nanonic age of 33), is that people drink just a little more than what the body likes, which still triggers some hyper-hypo, and so they want some more quick and a little bit excessively, because of the hypglycemia. Fruit has soluble fiber that slow more the process.

Now combine the 2 above points, the starch meal and the sugar snacking... I think it is better one or the other and not the 2... That is why I said that people have forgotten what it is to eat all day, but with fruit meals. You cannot combine the eating all day with the sort of meal that is based on a long digestion! I would eat all day when fruits are abundant, and then, when comes the season of eating the grain reserve, have large complete meals. The fructose endotoxin has time to be eliminated if we would do this every year. And the starch issues will settle down when fruit season comes again! Life is cyclic IMO.

Amazoniac

I had a jar of honey that didn't agree with me so much. I left it abandoned until deciding what to do. After a long time it crystallized and a fluid layer remained on top, just like the separation of fats. I discarted the liquid part and to my surprise it was perfectly fine.
There's something special about lighter (color) and opaque honeys, they seem more balanced. Most of them crystallize fast.

Amazoniac

Fructose- and Sorbitol-reduced Diet Improves Mood and Gastrointestinal Disturbances in Fructose Malabsorbers

"Fructose malabsorption is characterized by a defect of the fructose-related GLUT5 transport system, which is responsible for the duodenal uptake of the mono-saccharide fructose (5). Patients are therefore unable to resorb the ingested monosaccharide sufficiently. As a result fructose reaches the colon, where it is broken down by colon bacteria into short-chain fatty acids, CO2 and H2 usually inducing bloating, abdominal discomfort and sometimes osmotic diarrhea. The type and extent of gastrointestinal discomfort largely depends on the kind of colonic bacterial activity (6)."

"We described recently that fructose malabsorption (9) and lactose malabsorption (10) were associated with early signs of mental depression and mood disturbances in some patients, especially in women."

"Our own observations point to the majority of subjects with irritable bowel syndrome deriving their complaints as a result of a carbohydrate malabsorption syndrome, such as fructose malabsorption, sorbitol malabsorption, lactose maldigestion or xylitol malabsorption (unpublished data). Patients with fructose malabsorption often have a clear history of post-infective onset of their symptoms (19) as has been shown for patients with irritable bowel syndrome (20). However, during the pre-intervention period it was confirmed that all subjects were free of infectious symptoms."

"We have previously shown that fructose malabsorption (9) is associated with early signs of mental depression and decreased serum tryptophan concentrations (21). Earlier studies imply that disturbances of L-tryptophan metabolism are involved in inducing depression (22–24) and pre-menstrual syndrome (25)."

"depressive symptoms and gastrointestinal disturbances in patients with fructose malabsorption was significantly improved by a 4-week period of a fructose-reduced diet"​

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals