Frozen raw oysters

hei

Wondering if anyone has experience buying these.
Don't really like the canned smoked oysters so I thought I would try something fresher. Not having a fishmonger nearby, I went to the supermarket. They sell oysters by the dozen, packed in vacuum-sealed trays with half the shell removed. I think they are sent to the shop frozen and thawed for sale. The vacuum had gone on the most prominent trays, and on the other one that I could see, some of the oysters had a strange red colour. I don't have any experience with fresh oysters but none of them looked great so I passed.
There aren't many other options here. I found an interstate oyster farmer who sends fresh oysters from time to time (next delivery unknown) and I would have to buy in multiples of 5 dozen.
Should I just go to a restaurant to get used to them?

J.R.K

Good morning Hei! I got some fresh oysters for the first time for Christmas from a friend after trying them on the half shell in the fall. I got three dozen and they lasted for a month until I consumed them all. I kept them refrigerated sealed in the shell and opened them prior to consumption.
I can honestly tell you that the first one was as fresh as the last one. They are a little salty inside which I feel contributed to there longevity in the refrigerator. So IMO you could get the five dozen and keep them for a good long time (five weeks considering that I use a dozen a week.
They are quite good especially with some horseradish or lemon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom