Frozen Feet

thomas00

He also said magnesium retention has to do a lot more with the state of your metabolism than with absolute intake of the mineral.

and thyroid is the biggest determiner when it comes to magnesium retention, if I'm not mistaken

I suspect all those folk who are throwing back magnesium supplements and finding a benefit from it are just papering over their hypothyroidism

Runenight201

Along with me feeling like absolute crap, it always amazes me when people say different foods warm them. My feet are frozen often. No matter the socks, blankets or whatever I have on, they are like an icicle. No food has ever come close to warming them up.

I bet I could cook you something that would warm you up immediately during and after consumption.

Dino D

@Cirion so you were eating 4-5000 cal for a long time and gaining weight or staling, now you eat 6000+ and you started losing?
Really?

UltraSuperior

I swore I wasn't going to post publicly again but advice like this makes me angry, especially from Ray Peat because his name carries weight and so he needs to give advice carefully:

Ray peat knows a lot, but he is 100% dead wrong when it comes to caloric intake and weight gain/loss/metabolic rate. I hate it when he gives "advice" for calorie intake because he is just as bad as the establishment of "eat less move more". And yes, his own diet is wrong, he hardly eats anything, its no wonder he has to take thyroid and other things to keep his hormones up. Yes he is old but no excuse. He was doing it right when he was younger at eating like 6-8k calories. When you are hypothyroid you need more calories not less. And, 2000-2500 is too low even for someone without hypothyroid, even for females let alone males. The minimum calorie intake for males is 3-3.5k, and that's still too low if you're hypo.

What happens when you consume less energy? Yup you guessed it, you have less energy. For how smart RP is, this kindergarten principle is lost on him. This is an epidemic of sick people posting lately and one thing is a very common trend - undereating. Undereating is the #1 cause of hypothyroid. And then they're told to eat less, which is a travesty.

Meanwhile, I'm over here consuming 6-9,000 calories a day and losing weight. The very amusing thing is the more I eat the more I lose. Plunging the nail in the coffin of CICO. I am planning a mega-thread on how wrong caloric restriction is and how over-eating can make you lose weight and restore your metabolic rate. You do not need to restrict calories to lose weight. Ray peat is 1000% wrong here. It is UNDER eating that causes weight gain in the long run (as you've discovered)

There is a lot I could write, but saving it for my thread. For now read this:

Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

Sorry mate but you sound delusional and like you have mental issues.

So you really want to be telling people with hypothyroid to eat whatever and how much they want?

That is literally how people get morbidly obese. No human being can constantly eat and not gain weight. That is not how it works.

You are losing it.

Herbie

Sorry mate but you sound delusional and like you have mental issues.

So you really want to be telling people with hypothyroid to eat whatever and how much they want?

That is literally how people get morbidly obese. No human being can constantly eat and not gain weight. That is not how it works.

You are losing it.

Authoritarian, patronizing and passive aggressive.

UltraSuperior

Authoritarian, patronizing passive aggressive.

Sometimes you have to take a stance against people spreading disinformation. You can't advice people to eat "whatever they want" and "how much they want". That is exactly how you get obese. What, are obese people fasting all day and eating below maintenance? Fat people eat as much as they want. This won't make you lose weight. That is an insane statement to make.

Dino D

Sometimes you have to take a stance against people spreading disinformation. You can't advice people to eat "whatever they want" and "how much they want". That is exactly how you get obese. What, are obese people fasting all day and eating below maintenance? Fat people eat as much as they want. This won't make you lose weight. That is an insane statement to make.
Probably... i never belived such stories, like eating 2000 cal, then going to 5.000 and start losing, or in cirions case, eating 5000 and starting 6-10.000 and then losing... no way
Maybe euphoria and some water weight can be lost when increasing cal in the first days 4 whatever reason, and then you have to gain...

Herbie

He didn’t advise anyone to do anything, he is stating his opinion based on his experience which he is free to do so.

You are an authoritarian who thinks they have to control speach by discrediting someone by trying to make out they are mentally ill.. unbelievable behavior on this forum.

UltraSuperior

Probably... i never belived such stories, like eating 2000 cal, then going to 5.000 and start losing, or in cirions case, eating 5000 and starting 6-10.000 and then losing... no way
Maybe euphoria and some water weight can be lost when increasing cal in the first days 4 whatever reason, and then you have to gain...

Exactly.

He didn’t advise anyone to do anything, he is stating his opinion based on his experience which he is free to do so.

You are an authoritarian who thinks they have to control speach by discrediting someone by trying to make out they are mentally ill.. unbelievable behavior on this forum.

You are literally doing the thing that you claim I'm doing by calling me "authoritarian" whatever that means. This isn't your SJW PC bubble, this is a forum discussing nutrition. And a person telling others to just "eat more and whatever you want" and that claims he's losing weight eating 10.000 calories deserves to be ostracized. Don't reply to my posts again as you are very estrogenic.

Dino D

If you go that road then i can say... in my opinion a good remedy for frosen feet is heroin, but that is just my free opinion, youre free to do what you belive to be right...

Jing

Yh I don't see how it is possible either, few years ago I use to weigh around 8 stone I use to eat less than 1000 calories most days and I would be fasting all day , when I started eating 3000 calories everyday I started to gain weight and got up to 15 stone . More calories means weight gain not weight loss lol

Dino D

Yh I don't see how it is possible either, few years ago I use to weigh around 8 stone I use to eat less than 1000 calories most days and I would be fasting all day , when I started eating 3000 calories everyday I started to gain weight and got up to 15 stone . More calories means weight gain not weight loss lol
I'm still open-mided, but rational and real... when goimg from 1000 to 3.000 calories your body is going from low metbl. And low cal to low metabolism and high cal, so you gain... at one.poin we should reach out maximum baseline ,,high metabolism" witch is maybe from 2 to 4.000 cal (dependimg on the person), and from there we adjust based on activity, bulk or cuting periods and so on... a long hard road that has to be walked with discipline and hard work, and the art of finding the right foods and sups 4 U, at a given time...
Being fat at 5.000 calories and losing on 6-10.000 is a fairytale (while everything else staying the same) and that guy has some authority here on this forum and many will follow his advice, and I dont think he is allowed to give ,,heroin like" advices, or just big lies...

I say wait till Cirion posts his new thread. The study he linked shows that rats fail to gain weight when consuming a large surplus of calories from soda. That's basically what he's doing and it's how he manages his huge caloric intake. It's mostly through sugary drinks.

How he's losing weight is anyone's guess. Whether it's through a supercharged metabolism, glycosuria, or a failure to absorb calories is beyond my understanding. Nevertheless, I have no reason not to believe him. Also, keep in mind he's still fairly overweight. It's not like he's absolutely shredded and telling others that following after him will result in a lean physique. So I advise y'all to wait to see how his experiment plays out.

Dino D

I say wait till Cirion posts his new thread. The study he linked shows that rats fail to gain weight when consuming a large surplus of calories from soda. That's basically what he's doing and it's how he manages his huge caloric intake. It's mostly through sugary drinks.

How he's losing weight is anyone's guess. Whether it's through a supercharged metabolism, glycosuria, or a failure to absorb calories is beyond my understanding. Nevertheless, I have no reason not to believe him. Also, keep in mind he's still fairly overweight. It's not like he's absolutely shredded and telling others that following after him will result in a lean physique. So I advise y'all to wait to see how his experiment plays out.
Of course... he can prove us wrong, but for now he cant argue us wrong... the whole world is my prove and everyone i know and me personaly...
Eating 6-10000 calories from a super specific carb source would be something else... it would be a specific hack to take calories from soda only or mostly... (and still:nah, no way, but we will see)that is not the same as eat what ever -you- want, as much as you want... and go over 6-10.000 cal...

Ella

Forum Supporter
More calories means weight gain not weight loss lol

My experience is that obese individuals are constantly dieting, skipping meals and keeping calories low. I lost a whopping 40kg which is around 88 pounds since following a Peat inspired diet (2012). Initially, when I upped my calories and eating every 4 hours, my weight ballooned, then as I reduced meat and increased fruit and milk, the weight rapidly shed. I never thought I would be worrying about being too skinny. The biggest obstacle to losing weight is a stressful and chaotic lifestyle. It was not only the diet I changed; I changed my whole lifestyle.

baccheion

My experience is that obese individuals are constantly dieting, skipping meals and keeping calories low. I lost a whopping 40kg which is around 88 pounds since following a Peat inspired diet (2012). Initially, when I upped my calories and eating every 4 hours, my weight ballooned, then as I reduced meat and increased fruit and milk, the weight rapidly shed. I never thought I would be worrying about being too skinny. The biggest obstacle to losing weight is a stressful and chaotic lifestyle. It was not only the diet I changed; I changed my whole lifestyle.
What do you eat now? How many calories? How much do you weigh?

Of course... he can prove us wrong, but for now he cant argue us wrong... the whole world is my prove and everyone i know and me personaly...
Eating 6-10000 calories from a super specific carb source would be something else... it would be a specific hack to take calories from soda only or mostly... (and still:nah, no way, but we will see)that is not the same as eat what ever -you- want, as much as you want... and go over 6-10.000 cal...

Fair enough. I think what Cirion is doing is very intriguing. His experiment is a test of the limitations of the human metabolism. Are his methods applicable to most people? I highly doubt it. Though personally, I eat what appeals to me in the quantities that I want. Even still, reaching 4k calories is a struggle. I don't think most people could reach 6k plus calories on a day to day basis eating ad libitum unless they use liquid calories.

At the end of the day, it's all about finding what works for you and not rigidly adhering to any dietary guru's guidelines. Being overly restrictive leads to neuroticism.

Lizb

I did really well Peating when I ate loads of food. - all Peaty, but I just couldn't keep it up. In my personal experience, there's only so much a person (being me) can eat day after day.