Frozen Feet

iLoveSugar

Along with me feeling like absolute crap, it always amazes me when people say different foods warm them. My feet are frozen often. No matter the socks, blankets or whatever I have on, they are like an icicle. No food has ever come close to warming them up.

Ron J

It happens to me when I drink too much liquid at once(increases prolactin).

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Interesting. I really dont drink to much liquid at once. I sip different stuff throughout the day.

Ron J

I've been limiting liquid intake to 4 fl oz 30 minutes apart, as suggested in a link(I don't remember which thread). Given my high liquid intake, the prolactin decrease was significant.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Along with me feeling like absolute crap, it always amazes me when people say different foods warm them. My feet are frozen often. No matter the socks, blankets or whatever I have on, they are like an icicle. No food has ever come close to warming them up.
What do you eat on a daily basis?
When my metabolism was slow, high GI carbs like potatoes with a generous amount of salt mixed with a protein source would heat up my feet instantly.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

My appetite is so restricted due to gut issues. In short though, milk, chocolate milk, potatoes, beef, eggs, OJ, occasional chicken, occasional chocolate, decaf coffee with sugar and milk, decaf coke. Caffeine in any form always aggravates me.

M

member 2106

It sounds like high adrenaline. Do you feel very anxious a lot of the time?

Taotatoes

What's your daily calorie intake and estimated maintenance? In my experience cold feet almost always occur when I've been undereating and/or not eating frequently enough.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Honestly probably overeating for my metabolism right now. About 2000-2500 cal per day, and gaining weight rapidly. When I discussed with RP, he said too much for my metabolic rate. I've gained 45 pounds in 3 years.

Taotatoes

Honestly probably overeating for my metabolism right now. About 2000-2500 cal per day, and gaining weight rapidly. When I discussed with RP, he said too much for my metabolic rate. I've gained 45 pounds in 3 years.

Oh no. That's so very low... were you undereating for a long time prior?

Doing exercise that stimulates the lymphatic system both morning and night (yoga or tai chi) has helped me during times in which I've needed to focus on rest/recovery.

M

member 2106

Very, yes. But nothing helps ease it.

I really think this is key here. I’m in a similar position, maybe not quite to the same extent as you, and I’m also trying to find ways to ease the anxiety. What have you tried, other than a safe diet of sorts?

Cirion

I swore I wasn't going to post publicly again but advice like this makes me angry, especially from Ray Peat because his name carries weight and so he needs to give advice carefully:

Ray peat knows a lot, but he is 100% dead wrong when it comes to caloric intake and weight gain/loss/metabolic rate. I hate it when he gives "advice" for calorie intake because he is just as bad as the establishment of "eat less move more". And yes, his own diet is wrong, he hardly eats anything, its no wonder he has to take thyroid and other things to keep his hormones up. Yes he is old but no excuse. He was doing it right when he was younger at eating like 6-8k calories. When you are hypothyroid you need more calories not less. And, 2000-2500 is too low even for someone without hypothyroid, even for females let alone males. The minimum calorie intake for males is 3-3.5k, and that's still too low if you're hypo.

What happens when you consume less energy? Yup you guessed it, you have less energy. For how smart RP is, this kindergarten principle is lost on him. This is an epidemic of sick people posting lately and one thing is a very common trend - undereating. Undereating is the #1 cause of hypothyroid. And then they're told to eat less, which is a travesty.

Meanwhile, I'm over here consuming 6-9,000 calories a day and losing weight. The very amusing thing is the more I eat the more I lose. Plunging the nail in the coffin of CICO. I am planning a mega-thread on how wrong caloric restriction is and how over-eating can make you lose weight and restore your metabolic rate. You do not need to restrict calories to lose weight. Ray peat is 1000% wrong here. It is UNDER eating that causes weight gain in the long run (as you've discovered)

There is a lot I could write, but saving it for my thread. For now read this:

Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

Last edited:

redsun

Yeah one gram isn’t enough for me. Try 3-6 grams

Yeh when in doubt, just take more aspirin lmao. Figure out the real cause? Nah screw that, just pop that aspirin baby.

Try B2 + folic acid together spaced throughout the day. Always annoyed by the cold extremities despite food intake. B2 + folic acid sealed the deal now they are warm constantly.

M

member 2106

I also agree with what @Cirion says about the importance eating heartily. Do not ever eat according to someone else's recommendation of caloric intake. If you have gut issues, I'd almost guarantee that's directly as a result of anxiety, and if you weren't feeling anxious, your gut issues would improve or disappear. I know that's a tricky chicken/egg kind of scenario, one that I haven't figured out myself, but I'd encourage you, along with @Cirion, to make very sure you're not under-eating.

Cirion

@waldenpond

Yes, my gut and digestion didn't improve until I vastly increased caloric intake.

No matter what I did - restrict food groups (pufa, wheat, dairy, meat, etc), restrict calories, take supplements, NONE of that worked. In fact my digestion was getting worse and worse until I was basically only consuming juice, and finally I hit rock bottom.

There is all sorts of ridiculous strategies here that are way too complicated, and don't even work except in edge cases, and even at that, most of them have to take those supplements for life.

I just increased my caloric intake to godlike levels. Slowly my issues seem to be resolving one by one. Digestion has never been better. And I take zero supplements. I have zero anxiety, and I usually have mild to even large amounts of euphoria in the evenings.

On days I've had close to 10,000 calories (not a typo), my euphoria is so high that I'm laughing at EVERYTHING. If that's not a sign of a high metabolic rate I dunno what is =)

Last edited:

lampofred

egg shell calcium.

+1

When PTH is high metabolism is less efficient and blood sugar is used disproportionately rapidly for a given level of activity leading to excess adrenaline/cortisol.

I think Dr. Peat would recommend lots of calcium + vitamin D to suppress PTH.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals