frontal/facial headache for a week

sara n.

I would like to know if anyone here knows of any specific mineral or vitamin deficiencies or excesses can cause a frontal headache? It is in the forehead above the sinuses, and in the temples and over ears. Nothing I have for pain has touched it.

Could it be too much calcium? Too little? Too much D? Too little D? Too much T3? Playing with my caffeine intake hasn't had much effect. It is kinda getting me down, it is constant and nagging. Hurts but isn't the worst headache I've ever had, but it just won't stop. I am getting plenty of sugar and salt. In fact, I'm craving salt to the extent of salting nearly every single bite of food individually. (This has helped with edema actually).

FWIW, I do not commonly have headaches, though I have had them, of course.
thanks for any thoughts,
sara n.

Mittir

I can tell from my experience that most likely cause of sudden onset of sinus
and allergy ( which often result in headache) issue is bad excipient from supplement
or food. Check if there is any new food or supplement added around the time
this headache started.

LucyL

A couple days of Claritin D has worked well for me with similar symptoms. I agree its probably an allergic reaction to something, though it may be pollen or mold or something in the environment with the changing seasons.

OP
S

sara n.

I am just very slowly coming out of a bad allergy flare (I have chronic urticaria, pruritis, formication), so on high doses of steroids and antihistamines. So any sinus allergy should be well-controlled.

Just begun wondering if it could be a low grade dental infection..........I've had some problems with dental infection in the past couple months, but didn't have any headache during the worst of that. I do have pain in an upper front tooth root up near sinus, when I press on that area. No real pain without pressing on it though. I have some penicillin, but it has an iodine dye in it, so I can't take it.

jyb

sara n. said:
I am just very slowly coming out of a bad allergy flare (I have chronic urticaria, pruritis, formication), so on high doses of steroids and antihistamines. So any sinus allergy should be well-controlled.

Just begun wondering if it could be a low grade dental infection..........I've had some problems with dental infection in the past couple months, but didn't have any headache during the worst of that. I do have pain in an upper front tooth root up near sinus, when I press on that area. No real pain without pressing on it though. I have some penicillin, but it has an iodine dye in it, so I can't take it.

Could it be due to the ingredients in the steroids & antihistamines? Drugs, supplements (including the quality thyroid pills) tend to have pretty nasty ingredients, so if you take several of them that's a reasonable hypothesis.

For headaches in general, if its estrogen related then some progesterone would be a quick fix, if more basic methods like aspirin and regular carrot didn't work.

OP
S

sara n.

I use progest e daily. I've wondered about something in the prednisone or the antihistamines, but I've also been through this regimen for a big allergy flare many many times without headache. So it seems unlikely, though I know all too well mfrs can change their ingredients or add new ones at any time, and such changes are not always reflected in labeling, though they are supposed to be.
I'm hoping to be back on hydrocortisone alone today, without any prednisone, swapping for an equal dose of course.

HDD

sara n. said:

I stumbled upon this by Peatarian and noticed she mentioned charcoal helped with tooth pain.

"RP says carott salat has the same effect but from time to time carotts just aren't strong enough. He sent me some rat studies which show that rats eating charcoal (I think every few days) lived 30% longer than those who didn't. Of course the carbo medicinalis (the official name) works as the carott fibers would but are more potent. They soak up the endotoxins in your stomach and intestines. I use charcoal once a week or if needed, two big spoons in water. It's a bit nasty to handle and it turns your tongue black but whenever my teeth or one of them hurts -- It helps. Probably has to do with the elevated serontonin because of the endotoxins. RP mentions it in the articles about MS and other so called autoimmune diseases.
You just have to be sure not to use it close to supplements or food. At least one hour or better one and a half between charcoal and anything beneficial."
(Bold and underline mine)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=226&p=1717&hilit=Charcoal#p1717

OP
S

sara n.

Haagendazendiane said:
I stumbled upon this by Peatarian and noticed she mentioned charcoal helped with tooth pain.

"RP says carott salat has the same effect but from time to time carotts just aren't strong enough. He sent me some rat studies which show that rats eating charcoal (I think every few days) lived 30% longer than those who didn't. Of course the carbo medicinalis (the official name) works as the carott fibers would but are more potent. They soak up the endotoxins in your stomach and intestines. I use charcoal once a week or if needed, two big spoons in water. It's a bit nasty to handle and it turns your tongue black but whenever my teeth or one of them hurts -- It helps. Probably has to do with the elevated serontonin because of the endotoxins. RP mentions it in the articles about MS and other so called autoimmune diseases.
You just have to be sure not to use it close to supplements or food. At least one hour or better one and a half between charcoal and anything beneficial."
(Bold and underline mine)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=226&p=1717&hilit=Charcoal#p1717

I have some charcoal in capsules. Thanks for the suggestion. I've read about charcoal for endotoxin but never heard about it in relation to tooth pain. Sounds worth a try.
sara n.

OP
S

sara n.

Headache is almost gone. Wal-Act plus Tylenol. Not things I regularly even think of. Tylenol never used to work for me at all. I really don't want to take pseudoephedrine if I can help it, so an alternate combo suggested to me is Benadryl, Phenylephrine, and Tylenol.
If I can find Phenlyephrine I'll try it. Kinds suspicious of the antihistamine in Wal-Act also, it is triprolidine.
But at the moment I'm just grateful for the relief.
sara n.

HDD

In another post, Peatarian also mentioned that it could prevent headaches so maybe it will help
with the headaches also.

Benadryl is anti serotonin, too.

Glad you are feeling better. :D

OP
S

sara n.

Trying charcoal...........since it can interfere with absorption of meds and nurients, I decided to take it in the middle of the night when I get up to empty bladder. Anything wrong with that idea?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
sara n. said:
Trying charcoal...........since it can interfere with absorption of meds and nurients, I decided to take it in the middle of the night when I get up to empty bladder. Anything wrong with that idea?
Good question.

4peatssake

I think it's perfectly fine if you don't mind the bother in the middle of the night. I take it before bed but am sure to take any food or supplements two hours before or after taking charcoal. That is the key.

HDD

"I have been using antibiotics every now and then. Ray Peat has been recommending tretracycline derivates for years since they are really safe. I have never known any side effects. What I do notice is that when a tooth hurts and I use antibiotics (or ondansetron) the pain stops. (Read Ray Peat for the context between teeth, endotoxins and serotonin.) My skin gets brighter and softer, the pores invisible, I sleep better and severe headaches clear up within half an hour and I see better. These effects linger for many months after a week of using minocycline in even in low doses." -Peatarian

sara n. said:
I use progest e daily. I've wondered about something in the prednisone or the antihistamines, but I've also been through this regimen for a big allergy flare many many times without headache. So it seems unlikely, though I know all too well mfrs can change their ingredients or add new ones at any time, and such changes are not always reflected in labeling, though they are supposed to be.
I'm hoping to be back on hydrocortisone alone today, without any prednisone, swapping for an equal dose of course.

Sara, i noticed you take progest-E daily. I get the same frontal headache if I overdo the progest-E.

HDD

sara n. said:
I have some charcoal in capsules. Thanks for the suggestion. I've read about charcoal for endotoxin but never heard about it in relation to tooth pain. Sounds worth a try.
sara n.

I just stumbled upon this about charcoal.

Re: Supplement List
by peatarian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Don't buy the pressed pills, they are nearly useless. I think it should be at least two big spoons of charcoal but I have used as many as 10 after a stomach infection.

Actually I would recommend the one you can afford. Don't laugh I mean it!
You wouldn't believe it's basically burned things you buy. I used to pay 56 Euro for 250g.
I now found a pharmacy in Switzerland that charges 22 Euro for 1 kg.
There is no qualitative difference between the two. They don't have brand names, just the names of the pharmacies on them.

Basically I'd say chose the one that's finer and easier to stir up dust (you'll see what I mean).
They all have to me medically pure so you don't have to worry about that.
Some are burned plants instead of animals (I wonder if this has to do with religion or vegetarians?). I have tried many, the result was always the same.

After two years I recommend using it -- and using it right before bedtime because this way it's most unlikely it will interfere with any nutrition. (And don't wear anything white when you mix it. I usually fill it in a glass bottle and shake it until it's all liquid and no powder.)

peatarian