From Someone Dead You Can't Take Living Organs

Lejeboca

Unfortunately, I checked off the box to be an organ donor years ago at the DMV. Does anyone know how to revoke that?
I was able to uncheck the box when I renewed my DL. Make sure to explicitly write-in that it shouldn't be checked and carefully double check the final computer print-out as input by the clerk. I've known cases where it was checked "inadvertently" (intolerance of unfilled white spaces/boxes, I guess).

maybe this box can be unchecked if you "loose" your DL and go for replacement?

Lejeboca

I've known about this, but it still gave me a cold sweat reading it.

Same here. I know that they don't spare the lives of organ donors but to read about the details made my hair stand out. And the account Blossom described too ! Horrible.

yerrag

What else are they not telling us?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I checked it off too and need to figure out how to get it changed as well. A couple months ago a coworker told me about a horrible experience when one of his patients who was an organ donor was awake, alert and crying when the procurement team came to harvest her organs. He stayed in the room holding her hand and was yelling at them to leave because she wasn’t dead. He was forcibly taken out of the room by sheriff’s deputies at the hospital. He was terribly traumatized by the situation.
Sickening.

JessFields

I checked it off too and need to figure out how to get it changed as well. A couple months ago a coworker told me about a horrible experience when one of his patients who was an organ donor was awake, alert and crying when the procurement team came to harvest her organs. He stayed in the room holding her hand and was yelling at them to leave because she wasn’t dead. He was forcibly taken out of the room by sheriff’s deputies at the hospital. He was terribly traumatized by the situation.
That's a very disturbing story but sadly not all that surprising. Be sure to post what you find out about de-registering. I'll do the same if I find anything out. I'm concerned that just getting the checkbox off of the license at the DMV may not fully remove one's name from the registry

sweetpeat

I did a search for the young man in the video, Zack Dunlap. I ran across this site: https://organfacts.net
They have a free book that can either be downloaded or read online, "The Nasty Side of Organ Transplanting." It gives more detailed info and ideas for how to keep your organs. organfacts.net/freebook/

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
We read the book, Coma, in the 80s and never liked the idea of transplants. I don’t know it for a fact but I always wonder about the shooting deaths in big cities and how many of them make it to the hospital and become organ donors.

OP
Giraffe

Giraffe

I learned recently in a medical ethics class that the legal definition of "death" has been progressively changing.

I came across this guy in my research

Unfortunately, I checked off the box to be an organ donor years ago at the DMV. Does anyone know how to revoke that?

The man in the video mentioned Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (2006). If I understood him right, most of the US has moved towards an opting out solution (= intention to donate is presumed).

The United States Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (2006): New challenges to balancing patient rights and physician responsibilities

"The Revised UAGA (2006) poses challenges to the Patient Self Determination Act (PSDA) embodied in advance health care directives and individual expression about the use of life support systems at the end-of-life. The challenges are predicated on the UAGA revising the default choice to presumption of donation intent and the use of life support systems to ensure medical suitability of organs for transplantation. The default choice trumps the expressed intent in an individual's advance health care directive to withhold and/or withdraw life support systems at the end-of-life. The Revised UAGA (2006) overrides advance directives on utilitarian grounds, which is a serious ethical challenge to society. The subtle progression of the Revised UAGA (2006) towards the presumption about how to dispose of one's organs at death can pave the way for an affirmative "duty to donate". There are at least two steps required to resolve these challenges. First, physicians and hospitals must fulfill their responsibilities to educate patients on the new legislations and document their preferences about the use of life support systems for organ donation at the end-of-life. Second, a broad based societal discussion must be initiated to decide if the Revised UAGA (2006) infringes on the PSDA and the individual's right of autonomy. The discussion should also address other ethical concerns raised by the Revised UAGA (2006), including the moral stance on 1) the interpretation of the refusal of life support systems as not applicable to organ donation and 2) the disregarding of the diversity of cultural beliefs about end-of-life in a pluralistic society."

InChristAlone

I believe you also have to go on a website to have your name taken off the organ donor list. I can't remember it was several months ago I was researching this. Absolutely bone chilling stuff goes on in organ donation. Even more so in China. Here is a doctor who is an advocate for patients who were declared "brain dead" as you have to fight like hell to get them to care. He tells all in this video:

Regina

I believe you also have to go on a website to have your name taken off the organ donor list. I can't remember it was several months ago I was researching this. Absolutely bone chilling stuff goes on in organ donation. Even more so in China. Here is a doctor who is an advocate for patients who were declared "brain dead" as you have to fight like hell to get them to care. He tells all in this video:

Great find sugarbabe.
What a lovely man. sigh.
I love his use of the word "mendacity". It really should be the word of the day.
Sweet guy.

Angieb

Australian's can login to their MyGov account, select Medicare then Organ Donation and remove yourself from the register. You'll also need to tell your friends and family that you no longer wish to donate in case they are asked to decide on your deathbed.

I used to be proud of the fact that I listed myself as an organ donor on my driver's license BUT after hearing all the horror stories, there is no way I will ever be an organ donor.

yerrag

Well, the medical - hospital system doesn't really care whether we live or die.

It cares most about whether we can make them money or not. If we're living, we make them money by becoming an organ recipient. If we're dying, we make them money becoming an organ donor.

Lots of money involved in transplanting organs.

Why care about our health? Just keep us sick by giving us bad advice, like "we don't know why you're sick, but here, take this," or "it's your genes," or "you're old."

Whenever you're ready, there's an organ waiting for you from some gullible donor - oh bless his heart, bless his kidneys, bless his liver, bless his soul!

We love you so much!

Katia

My nephew is taking anesthesiology. He told me they give certain drugs because of catecholamine storm, that would help the pain. Do you know if they are able to take all the pain?

InChristAlone

My nephew is taking anesthesiology. He told me they give certain drugs because of catecholamine storm, that would help the pain. Do you know if they are able to take all the pain?
Only caring doctors would make sure the person isn't feeling pain.

tankasnowgod

I have come about testimonials of people that have donated a kidney.

It seems that it is not unusual that perfectly healthy people later suffer from fatigue and can't do their job any longer. Many develop high blood pressure within a few years. One woman who had donated a kidney to her husband said that she experienced medical complications and needed hospitalization a couple of times, but neither her health insurance nor the one of her husband wanted to pay, and you can imagine that the couple did not earn much money at that time. (After a s***storm from the press her health insurance and the hospital agreed to give in).

These people are angry that the downsides are not discussed openly. They feel that they were badly informed when they took their decision. And since the perception in the public is that this is a low risk surgery with a low risk of long-term health implications unfair expectations are promoted: You have to donate if you are a match! It's altruistic!

The guy here is still healthy, but regrets his decision:

At 18 years old, he donated a kidney. Now, he regrets it.

I had a co-worker who donated a kidney, to another coworker in fact. I didn't know the man who donated that well. The man who received the kidney was very sick for a long time, and he ended up dying about a year or two after the transplant.

3-4 years after the procedure, the Kidney Donator ended up taking a few months off of work for "mental problems." A lot of people around the office thought he might have been faking it, but I thought it was probably due in part to the donation. I already knew that things like serotonin, endotoxin, and ammonia could cause bad mood or depression, or make it worse, so it seemed pretty logical to me that one of those things (or some other toxin) was building up, causing some real mental health issue (possibly other issues). He was already in his late 50s or 60s when he donated the kidney, but looked to age quite a bit afterwards, the few times I saw him.

It seemed like a very, very nice and genuine thing to do, but I couldn't help but feeling after the recipient had died that it was basically a waste. I have no idea if the man who donated ever felt any regret or anger over that, either.

pro marker

ive always hated doctors. is my opinion that 90% of them are pure evil. I think it boils down to this:

1. the profession attracts bad people
2. when they've worked for a few years and start to realize they do more harm than good, they have to learn how to ignore their compassion for people to justify making money this way.
3:something about working in hospitals and similar facilities makes them enjoy the pain of others.

it wasn't until i underwent surgery that i realized just how horrifying hospitals are. everyone was so cold and inhuman. i was having tendon surgery and they gave me an anesthetic in my armpit. Made my whole arm go limp. it was really scary. but it didn't work properly, and i could feel about 50% of the pain. they noticed my horrified expression and tried to give me more but i convinced them i was just nervous. it beat having any more needles injected. feeling my tendons being pulled and sewn was so unnatural. they also forced me into taking an antibiotic even though i begged them not to. they truly had no feeling for human life. and then theres the nurse who gave me a second vaccine because she didnt like me. i dont care if shes 60 now, if i ever see that b**** again i will knock her teeth out. evil all of them.

it wouldn't surprise me if half of those organs are either wasted or used for some shady business. and what even motivates the doctors to push so hard for organ harvesting? is there a bonus in their paycheck or this?

OP
Giraffe

Giraffe

I had a co-worker who donated a kidney, to another coworker in fact. I didn't know the man who donated that well. The man who received the kidney was very sick for a long time, and he ended up dying about a year or two after the transplant.

3-4 years after the procedure, the Kidney Donator ended up taking a few months off of work for "mental problems." A lot of people around the office thought he might have been faking it, but I thought it was probably due in part to the donation. I already knew that things like serotonin, endotoxin, and ammonia could cause bad mood or depression, or make it worse, so it seemed pretty logical to me that one of those things (or some other toxin) was building up, causing some real mental health issue (possibly other issues). He was already in his late 50s or 60s when he donated the kidney, but looked to age quite a bit afterwards, the few times I saw him.

It seemed like a very, very nice and genuine thing to do, but I couldn't help but feeling after the recipient had died that it was basically a waste. I have no idea if the man who donated ever felt any regret or anger over that, either.
Donors who afterwards suffer from fatigue tend to feel very lonely. No one prepared them for the fatigue, and no one sees how ill they feel and that they are barely functioning 20%. They are angry that they have not been fully informed. -- This is what I heard.