From Personal Experience, Wheat/gluten Increases My Prolactin Levels

milk_lover

I did a control self experimentation for two weeks. I know it's a short period but I am confident of the results. The first week, I was eating white bread and white rice (jasmine) along my normal diet, and the second week, I was eating only white rice along my normal diet. There was increase in libido, penis sensitivity, and better mood in the second week (only rice with no gluten). I discovered wheat/gluten does something to my brain and digestion that can impair my enjoyment of sex. I have just read online that indeed gluten can increase prolactin levels. Maybe my body is just sensitive to gluten. Plus I lost some water retention and I have less bloating in my stomach :) I will continue this until I make sure of the results.

Thanks for sharing, it would be interesting to see where the prolactin would be if you ate white bread along with a calcium supplement.

If gluten has an effect in a non-celiac, it's the thyroid that is affected, not the pituitary. Also, you consume lots of whole milk, in your words. Starch and whole milk don't mix well. Enjoyment of sex has more to do with your attraction to your partner than it does anything else. Post menopausal women have reported a major boost in libido when they met a new partner after a bad relationship ended. New partner trumps hormones every time.

I was thinking maybe the phosphorus was to blame, egg shell calcium should improve the symptoms if that is the case.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Thanks for sharing, it would be interesting to see where the prolactin would be if you ate white bread along with a calcium supplement.
I still drink copious amounts of milk (my normal diet) so I think I have calcium covered. It's interesting to know that white bread could decrease my Ca/Ph ratio while white rice has no big effect on the ratio.
If gluten has an effect in a non-celiac, it's the thyroid that is affected, not the pituitary. Also, you consume lots of whole milk, in your words. Starch and whole milk don't mix well. Enjoyment of sex has more to do with your attraction to your partner than it does anything else. Post menopausal women have reported a major boost in libido when they met a new partner after a bad relationship ended. New partner trumps hormones every time.
You bring good points. I think my thyroid gets affected by gluten also. But I've read a study about gluten and its effect on the pituitary prolactin secretion and there was a relationship.

I mainly drink low-fat milk but sometimes I indulge myself in whole milk because it tastes amazing. Milk and white rice work just fine together in my case, but I think I reduced my milk consumption a little un-intentionally..

So are you suggesting I am not attracted to my partner anymore? DEFINITELY NOT TRUE :) she is the most gorgeous woman I have seen. Her eyes, her body, her smile, her nose, and personality steal my breath away every time.. Maybe I should tell her about what Westside Pufa said to see her reaction.

allblues

Interesting stuff, i've been fiddling with wheat for about 2-3 weeks myself and have noticed lowered libido, worsened body odor (digestive disturbance?), some weight gain during this period. I'll lay off it for a while and see what happens.
Shame it's so darn tasty.

People can we stop talking about specific hormones unless we actually did a blood draw.

YuraCZ

Attachments

• saruman[1].jpg
    saruman[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 78

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I did a control self experimentation for two weeks. I know it's a short period but I am confident of the results. The first week, I was eating white bread and white rice (jasmine) along my normal diet, and the second week, I was eating only white rice along my normal diet. There was increase in libido, penis sensitivity, and better mood in the second week (only rice with no gluten). I discovered wheat/gluten does something to my brain and digestion that can impair my enjoyment of sex. I have just read online that indeed gluten can increase prolactin levels. Maybe my body is just sensitive to gluten. Plus I lost some water retention and I have less bloating in my stomach :) I will continue this until I make sure of the results.
If it's any consolation I have Celiac and gluten gives me symptoms of high prolactin too. My prolactin levels were well under control unit I started experimenting with sourdough bread and not being careful about gluten contamination. It seems to me that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real thing where some people have antibodies to the various gluten proteins and have symptoms but don't actually have small intestinal changes (yet?) that are found in celiac disease. The science on the subject is improving but there is still a lot to learn. I'm of the opinion that if a food has a negative effect on you there is no reason to persist in eating it when it can be easily replaced by something that doesn't cause problems.

Drareg

I have repeated a similar experiment multiple times, I'm done with wheat and grains in general.
I don't know if I'm a celiac ,allergic or what hormones it messes with ,I'm just better off them all round.

Mjhl85

I say go with what feels good, all hormone guessing or for that matter hormone testing aside. Way to go milk_lover.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

If it's any consolation I have Celiac and gluten gives me symptoms of high prolactin too. My prolactin levels were well under control unit I started experimenting with sourdough bread and not being careful about gluten contamination. It seems to me that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real thing where some people have antibodies to the various gluten proteins and have symptoms but don't actually have small intestinal changes (yet?) that are found in celiac disease. The science on the subject is improving but there is still a lot to learn. I'm of the opinion that if a food has a negative effect on you there is no reason to persist in eating it when it can be easily replaced by something that doesn't cause problems.
I can't agree anymore!
I say go with what feels good, all hormone guessing or for that matter hormone testing aside. Way to go milk_lover.
Thanks man :)

Wagner83

I'm curious have other people without diagnosed celiac disease found that wheat has a particular effect on mood, libido, energy levels and general being compared to wacky potatoes or rice?

Aaron

Personally I feel that wheat, particularly whole wheat, is one of the worst foods for promoting endotoxin. Very negative impact on digestion. It makes it harder to digest milk and gives me symptoms of lactose intolerance, which I don't have. I feel much better without whole grains, but I still indulge in occasional freshly baked organic sourdough and rye to no ill effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals