Fresh vs Pasteurized OJ

sprinter

Hypothetically, would it better to consume approximately 150 grams of carbohydrate from store bought Pasteurized OJ (from brands that do NOT use flavor packs/enzymes) or 75 grams of carbs from fresh, home-squeezed and strained OJ along with 75 grams of carbs from pure cane sugar?

jyb

That would be difficult to answer. I personally was never able to determine whether the OJ packaging (both the plastic bottles and the cardboard containers, which inner lining is actually plastic & aluminium) is safe: would need to determine the extent to which cold OJ (which is acid) encourages the estrogenic plastic chemicals to leach. I have no doubt that some chemicals leach, but the whole question is to know how much and whether that is a problem in the long term (note that lower contamination is not always preferable to a large one because the body may fail to detect it).

Until I figure out the safety of that, I feel compelled to squeeze OJ myself. To a lesser extent, I'm also a bit suspicious of the "fresh" commercial OJ, because I can't explain why the juice taste so uniform (good and sweet) as if the same source of oranges was able to grow oranges all year long. They certainly aren't using the same oranges they sell, because often the oranges they sell aren't ripe, so are they using a special source for their juice, or are they adding some flavours?! It's difficult to trust these manufacturers when they are so opaque about their production process.

pboy

whichever tastes fresher, better, and in the amount that satisfies. Sometimes convenience and necessity by nature of relieving a stress response can trump other factors. There might be a time where you need more sugar and times less, or when more wouldn't be supportive

Cane sugar is good as long as it doesn't displace potassium in the long run (some b vitamins too) which is why the fruit is recommended, but half and half fruit to sugar is probably still having enough support to be processed, with a good overall dietary intake

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals