Fresh Orange Juice Juicer

Amazoniac

lisa, I have a confession to make: I was actually getting paid by the seed industry. I should note that they wanted to pay me and I wanted the payment. Conflicts of interest: none.

More concerning than the peel is perhaps pressing the sliced seeds:
240_F_209973179_AILuLzFnguI0yHwFh2YfhDOUOCRP00E1.jpg

Last edited:

Rafe

The Chef’n (“AND ALL THE PRODUCTS WILL HAVE AN -‘N in the name”), the Soul (that has the instructive instructions to “lift the tap to extract,” “lower it to stop extracting” before you bring in the team of technicians to clean it), then there’s the “most controversial squeezer of the century,” the pizza map, & its symbologic “decorative veil.” And Lisa says, “Still no peel bitters.”
When you think you are reading about kitchen gadgets but it’s really a history of philosophy

Amazoniac

A lot of thought is given to some of these objects for conception. It sounds futile, but try to eat with a flat spoon for example. All these forms have been honed little by little and they're often a reflect of the culture, which is why historians can tell when an utensil was made, which is also why philosophers are interested in understanding the meanings.

And then this happened at some point and companies started to realize that they can profit much more if they can touch people's feelings not through the relation that gurus eventually develop with their objects for helping them to do a given task better (ex. having a favorite mug, knife, shoe, bag, glasses, chair, etc), but by providing something atypical (such as the juicer above), or something that reclaims memories, having other meanings at and tached.

If you question a designer about what made he sacrifice form, it's always the same justification: people feel better by the association. While there's some truth to it, for the most part, subversive or irreverent objects are now a profitable excuse for lazy projects. Egg spatulas, salt shakers that hug each other, smiling pig/chick utensils, and so on. They sell more and require less dedication, little to no commitment in improving people's life. If you want to find weird objects, just search on Google images the term and add 'design' to it.

Buying the ways, the cover of a book named 'Emotional Design' that discusses some of this is the juicer above.

Last edited:

Jennifer

When you think you are reading about kitchen gadgets but it’s really a history of philosophy
Hehe! I appreciate the creativity of the product names Bonanza and SpinCycle. Their Sweat Spot line in combination with this thread had me thinking about marmalade ice cream and if there is such a thing. I wonder what it would taste like — a creamsicle with hints of bitterness? @lisaferraro, should I test drive a recipe? :):

OP
L

lollipop

Hi Lisa :):,

By "fresh" do you mean fresh pressed/unpasteurized juice and if so, may I ask why you can never go back to it if store bought? I was getting freshly pressed OJ from the store but as time went on, the oranges they use were coming in sour so I stopped getting it. I figured the oranges, in general, weren't that good right now so I haven't bothered trying to juice my own at home, but your comments make me wonder if I'd have better luck if I did. It's just that I rarely find truly ripe/sweet oranges.
Hi @Jennifer - I am was buying fresh squeezed at Whole Foods, but then it just tasted sour most of the time. The season for yummmmy navel oranges is short - in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, maybe Apr - then it is over for organic. I still see navel oranges but are commercial. There is a place in California to order organic from, a local farm:

Deer Creek Heights Ranch

When I don’t have fresh organic, I just juice lemons and make fresh lemonade every morning.

OP
L

lollipop

Hehe! I appreciate the creativity of the product names Bonanza and SpinCycle. Their Sweat Spot line in combination with this thread had me thinking about marmalade ice cream and if there is such a thing. I wonder what it would taste like — a creamsicle with hints of bitterness? @lisaferraro, should I test drive a recipe? :):
YES! Yummmy...

OP
L

lollipop

lisa, I have a confession to make: I was actually getting paid by the seed industry. I should note that they wanted to pay me and I wanted the payment. Conflicts of interest: none.

More concerning than the peel is perhaps pressing the sliced seeds:
240_F_209973179_AILuLzFnguI0yHwFh2YfhDOUOCRP00E1.jpg
I remove all seeds before squeezing :):

Jennifer

Hi @Jennifer - I am was buying fresh squeezed at Whole Foods, but then it just tasted sour most of the time. The season for yummmmy navel oranges is short - in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, maybe Apr - then it is over for organic. I still see navel oranges but are commercial. There is a place in California to order organic from, a local farm:

Deer Creek Heights Ranch

When I don’t have fresh organic, I just juice lemons and make fresh lemonade every morning.
Thank you for the DCHR link! I bought some of Whole Foods' fresh squeezed and found it to be sour, too. I do better at a chain supermarket, but it's still not ripe. It used to be that it was sugary sweet during citrus season, but the past two years there have only been a few weeks where it has been ripe. Anyhow, thanks again, Lisa! :):

cats

You would expect at first this to be a post coming from The Writer given its peculiar formatting. However! As an astute reader, you're not deceived for too long: you can tell it's The Other Writer by the avatar situated on the left of the post—a glimpse!—and any attempt to mislead you is dismantled without requiring much effort on your part. As confirmation, the reader realizes that special characters are missing and that thats are overused. As we proceed, it makes (s)he wonder if this post has a point and the author feels it's a valid questioning, striking back with the following: Chef'n has some good products (such as the juicer above). Their mandolines stand out from the rest because the food (in theory) is static and what moves is the cutting base, which is the opposite of the traditional operation of mandolines. Now we force again an abrupt change in narrative that hopefully passes unnoticed. As you know, for such product to function properly, it has to keep the food stable at all times during cutting. As you also might know, the cutting base has to reduce contact with the food to minimize friction when moving the base, and it has to distribute the pressure exerted if the goal is to allow the movement to be as smooth as possible. But perhaps what you didn't know is that their mandoline doesn't have some of these features and many others that are important for it to be a decent product. The Other Writer decided it was time to send them a proposition for an improved product; receiving in return a cordial door slam along with an unopened—this of course meaning unused—product as consolation. As you will be able to tell, there are evidences that weren't yet made available elsewhere due to The Author's unjustified negligence for it.

Where can you buy the mandoline in that video? It would be great for carrots since you could slice them lengthwise (as Ray recommends) rather than transversely as with most mandolines.

OP
L

lollipop

Thank you for the DCHR link! I bought some of Whole Foods' fresh squeezed and found it to be sour, too. I do better at a chain supermarket, but it's still not ripe. It used to be that it was sugary sweet during citrus season, but the past two years there have only been a few weeks where it has been ripe. Anyhow, thanks again, Lisa! :):
You are welcome :):

Fractality

Deer Creek Heights Ranch

Cool thanks for the website! Where do you buy the lemons you juice?

Amazoniac

Where can you buy the mandoline in that video? It would be great for carrots since you could slice them lengthwise (as Ray recommends) rather than transversely as with most mandolines.
You're right, I had that in the minds. I tried to take care of details as much as time allowed then, one of them was to allow different shapes to fit. It was just a personal project and the video is the proto and type.

Rafe

For any of the nifty chef’n products just type “chef’n” on your phone’s key pad. Within 48 hrs you will have ads on your google news feed for the chef’n Coffee House coffee system’n and the chef’n hydroponic’n herb’n garden’n.
When you tell friends about your gadgets you’ll be sounding delightfully deutschen in no time. No controversial squeezers yet. Saving italian I know not what for another day then.

The frozen concentrated oj where I am has turned a light yellow color just this past week, is not sweet, & isn’t as helpful as its oranger, sweeter sister’n. I have read that better oj stocks are stored & mixed with worse to try to bridge the low seasons but I can report, it’s not working right now. But the watermelon is good

Jennifer

Delightfully Deutschen — I imagine sounding like Flula Borg. lol I agree, the watermelon is good. Watermelon juice with some mint leaves added is my current juice staple. It's very cooling.

@lisaferraro — I promise this will be the last time I bug you :) but may I ask, is there a reason why you buy organic citrus instead of conventional? I don't like the thought of workers being exposed to the pesticides but I have to pick my battles so usually with thick skinned fruit, I buy conventional. But maybe I should rethink that?

OP
L

lollipop

Delightfully Deutschen — I imagine sounding like Flula Borg. lol I agree, the watermelon is good. Watermelon juice with some mint leaves added is my current juice staple. It's very cooling.

@lisaferraro — I promise this will be the last time I bug you :) but may I ask, is there a reason why you buy organic citrus instead of conventional? I don't like the thought of workers being exposed to the pesticides but I have to pick my battles so usually with thick skinned fruit, I buy conventional. But maybe I should rethink that?
You are soooooo sweeeet :): You are not bugging me at all. Seriously good questions that can help anyone reading.

In regards to organic:

In my opinion, if organic is available and an option, I choose that every time. If not, I do the best I can. To me I am creating free enterprise demand and otherwise “voting” with my dollars. To me this is one greatest impacts we can have. I know, I know ALL the arguments against organic: still has chemicals, is a sham, etc. etc. I choose to still speak my preferences with my money.

That said —> it is more expensive and if not an option for someone, I would choose fresh veggies from farmer’s markets or even grocery stores over canned etc. Also, choosing organic only with the dirty dozen is yet another option.

To me, the big key is as fresh as possible and as unrefined/unprocessed as possible.

Does that make sense?

Jennifer

Thank you, @lisaferraro! Yes, that absolutely makes sense. You bring up a very good point (among many) about voting with our dollars. I don't have too many options when it comes to organic fruit, but hopefully that will change soon. Thanks again! :):

Jennifer

Yeah, I've noticed when using my refractometer that the conventional grain-fed fruit is oftentimes higher in Brix than pastured fruit, and fruit grown from antique seeds are the sweetest.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals