french onion soup

purelaur

I made this the other day and it was delicious!

homemade beef bone broth
4-5 large onions
few tb butter
few sprigs of thyme
salt and pepper
sharp provolone cheese (or another)

cook the onions down in plenty of butter with sprigs of thyme for about an hour (keep lid ajar so they can "steam"). stir regularly and scrape all the carmelized bits from the bottom of the pan.
add bone broth, simmer.
spoon into rammekins, top with cheese, melt under broiler until golden

yum!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sounds absolutely wonderful purelaur! Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
French onion soup is one my favs! :P

burtlancast

purelaur said:
homemade beef bone broth

Mmm.
Is that really Peaty ?
I thought Ray said bone broth contains too much iron ?

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
purelaur said:
homemade beef bone broth

Mmm.
Is that really Peaty ?
I thought Ray said bone broth contains too much iron ?
Peat recommends bone broth and still eats it as far as I'm aware.

Ray Peat said:
A recent publication shows that glycine alleviates colitis; but the use of gelatin, especially in the form of a concentrated gelatinous beef broth, for colitis, dysentery, ulcers, celiac disease, and other diseases of the digestive system, goes far back in medical history. Pavlov's observation of its effectiveness in stimulating the secretion of digestive juices occurred because the stimulating value of broth was already recognized.

Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day.

burtlancast

Cheers for the extract.

In the One radio network interview, here's what he had to say:

Foods that lower adrenaline and Cortisol, are milk and sugar, orange juice, fruit, tropical fruit, gelatinous things like Consomme, not marrow bones, because of high iron content, just the gelatinous joints with tendons and cartilage, or tail bones. Not the hard bone with the marrow in it, you want the joins, too much iron in the marrow.

( PS: Don't we all love transcripts ?) :lol:

I believe, as Narouz pointed out in old thread, that only no-marrow bones should be used for bone broth.
Or maybe, get the big bones, and scoop out the marrow in the center, before boiling them ?

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
Cheers for the extract.

In the One radio network interview, here's what he had to say:

Foods that lower adrenaline and Cortisol, are milk and sugar, orange juice, fruit, tropical fruit, gelatinous things like Consomme, not marrow bones, because of high iron content, just the gelatinous joints with tendons and cartilage, or tail bones. Not the hard bone with the marrow in it, you want the joins, too much iron in the marrow.

( PS: Don't we all love transcripts ?) :lol:

I believe, as Narouz pointed out in ald thread, that only no-marrow bones should be used for bone broth.
Or maybe, get the big bones, and scoop out the marrow in the center, before boiling them ?
He says use the gelatinous joints and tail bones. Oxtails FTW!

And transcripts too! :P

tara

I think Peat has also recommended boiling joints for 2-3 hours for gelatinous beef broth without overcooking and unduly damaging the proteins.
Some recipes for bone broth involve cooking for 8hrs+ to dissolve more of the bone. Some also suggest adding extra acid, eg vinegar, to hasten dissolving the bone. This gives more calcium, but IIRC Peat has recommended against this because lead tends to concentrate in the bones, and too much can be released into a too-long-cooked (or too acid) bone broth. He has said that eggshells, and next best oyster shells, tend to have lower lead than beef bones.

4peatssake

tara said:
I think Peat has also recommended boiling joints for 2-3 hours for gelatinous beef broth without overcooking and unduly damaging the proteins.
Some recipes for bone broth involve cooking for 8hrs+ to dissolve more of the bone. Some also suggest adding extra acid, eg vinegar, to hasten dissolving the bone. This gives more calcium, but IIRC Peat has recommended against this because lead tends to concentrate in the bones, and too much can be released into a too-long-cooked (or too acid) bone broth. He has said that eggshells, and next best oyster shells, tend to have lower lead than beef bones.
Right, not the marrow bones but the gelatinous cuts, joints and tail bones. Yum!
I think most people here use gelatinous cuts of beef for their broth but may refer to it as bone broth just the same.

I'm not sure which broth OP specifically refers to in the recipe but he/she may be using the terms interchangeably as I am wont to do.

If I were to make this recipe, I'd use oxtails as that's the way I make my broth.
Be pretty darn delicious if you like lots of onions.

tara

4peatssake said:
I'm not sure which broth OP specifically refers to in the recipe but he/she may be using the terms interchangeably as I am wont to do.
Yes, I think they are often used interchangeably.
Just wanted to draw the relevant technical distinction between getting protein etc from the meat and gristle into the stock, rather than too much of the bone itself.

4peatssake

tara said:
4peatssake said:
Just wanted to draw the relevant technical distinction between getting protein etc from the meat and gristle into the stock, rather than too much of the bone itself.
Ta.
I can't even imagine making broth from brittle bones. :lol:

tara

4peatssake said:
tara said:
4peatssake said:
Ta.
I can't even imagine making broth from brittle bones. :lol:
I did a few batches a couple of years ago, when I first read about GAPS, boiled for many hours with a bit of vinegar in the water. (I never did the full GAPS diet, just tried out a few things. I was saving chop bones etc from the table and chucking them in the freezer till I had a decent batch. I stopped doing the long cook when I read Peat on the subject.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom